Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got the itch

No not that itch..

The itch to do some long rides. A friend at work just came back from a ride out to San Diego. I was really jealous. Last year he finally got his kid to move out so now he is relatively a free man.

My kids are 14 and 16.

But I've got my 50th birthday coming up next year and I'm thinking about asking for a pass to ride down to Florida. I don't know when or how. Or on what. But I have a year to plan it.

My preference is to do it adventure-style. Camping in parks. Avoiding the highways. I've been up and down I95 a few times in the car so that's not appealing at all.

I don't know where you are, but I'm a mile from Interstate 64 (exit 18) in WV and if you're passing through I'd buy you coffee or tacos or something.
    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Here is a little something to help you scratch the itch ...

I wrote about an Iron Butt ride I did (My first - a SS1000) --

Read "All the way to the Water" blog posts - Day 1 is the 1000 mile day.

http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/
      Currently in the Stable :
      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

I also have the itch to get back on the road again. Two years ago I went on a 3,000 mile road trip to Colorado, I had a really fun time. This year I'm thinking about visiting my cousins in Arizona. I'd leave Sunday morning after the Brown County Rally and head south towards Lafayette Louisiana. From there ride across Texas to Tucson. I'm planning on taking two weeks maybe more depending on the weather. The Colorado trip I rode my 850G and what a fine touring motorcycle it is. This year I'm thinking about taking the 1000e. The extra horsepower I think will be beneficial getting across Texas 👍
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Doing a motorcycle trip solo is a unique experience, especially when you tent. I'd recommend it to anyone. I enjoy doing it with no detailed road plan either, just make it up as I go. I think the most important planning detail is making sure your bike is road tested for the trip.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
            Doing a motorcycle trip solo is a unique experience, especially when you tent. I'd recommend it to anyone. I enjoy doing it with no detailed road plan either, just make it up as I go. I think the most important planning detail is making sure your bike is road tested for the trip.
            What he said. Not only test your bike though, but your camping gear as well if you haven't camped in a while. Then just get out and do it.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
              What he said. Not only test your bike though, but your camping gear as well if you haven't camped in a while. Then just get out and do it.
              I'm not sure where id store a tent on my bike. I think I'd be staying in KOA's allot...in a cabin.
              1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

I'm thinking of putting side cases on the gw250 and using that.

I know it's crazy. A 250! But for the roads I am thinking about it should be ok.

I've been riding it for a year and I think it will do the job. I will be installing a waterproof USB charging outlet on it.

I have a 2 man dome tent which is pretty easy to setup and which I consider to be a 4 season tent. Very sturdy.

I have an inflatable pad which folds up to almost nothing and I will be looking for a medium sleeping bag.

I have rain gear but its too bulky. I'll be looking for something lighter weight. If its raining for an extended period I'll probably be in the tent.

I don't care how many miles per day I will do. If I do 300 miles per day but enjoy the ride that's fine.

I want to take the roads through Virginia/W. Virginia and the western parts of the Carolinas and Georgia. Looks like there's lots of parks to camp in and hike around.

I'm thinking a 2 week trip. Leave a little time for visiting friends and sightseeing.

I think I'd do it in the fall or early December, next year.

Comment

Tuesday I spent several hours on Rt 395 down through CT (going down to Westerly RI and the beaches) and another several hours on RT 95 back thru RI.

Pretty much the only super slabs I've done this season and I've done about 30K on the FZ1 this year.

I only bring it up because it reminded me how little I like being on them, no joy.

I've been cross country three times, shipping my bike to LA and riding it back. About 10K miles each time going west to east. Typically 3 week duration.

If you haven't seen the country I highly recommend it , however I've done enough of the flat lands to diminish my itch to do them again.

My dream trip would start in the Flag Staff area and would zig zag back and forth over the Rockies till I reached Jasper NP in Canada. Then back south on the coast and Rt. 1. Stay mostly in hotels and take as little gear and clothes as possible. Buy new clothes every several days and mail the dirty ones home.

My main reason for doing it would enjoying the roads and its difficult to do that when the bike is loaded like a mule.

Bottom line from my perspective is do as few Hwys as possible.

Comment

There is a book written by Simon Gandolfi entitled " Old man on a bike" His ride is a 125cc Honda. He has never ridden a bike before and it chronicles his journey from New York to Tierra del Fuego through 13 countries. Interesting read.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                      Good advice Azr. Solo is an intensely personal experience. Travelling alone gives maximum freedom in making decisions on where and when to stop or go. It also forces one to interact with people along the way, unlike traveling with a group which usually means the social bubble group is carried along. Travelling alone, for this older guy, is less intimidating to people along the way as opposed to travelling with a gang, and I found that at nearly every stop someone would come over and start a conversation. It often started with "I used to have a bike like that.."

I've taken the 6000 km. round trip to southern Ontario from Sk. three of the last 4 summers to visit elderly ailing family, camping in provincial parks every night, except for that rainy one in Dryden. There are peak experiences on each I'll never forget. Do it Dimitri.
                      Last edited by DaveR; 11-17-2016, 04:04 PM. Reason: spelling
                      1979 GS1000
                      1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

Originally posted by DaveR View Post
                        Good advice Azr. Solo is an intensely personal experience. Travelling alone gives maximum freedom in making decisions on where and when to stop or go. It also forces one to interact with people along the way, unlike traveling with a group which usually means the social bubble group is carried along. Travelling alone, for this older guy, is less intimidating to people along the way as opposed to travelling with a gang, and I found that at nearly every stop someone would come over and start a conversation. It often started with "I used to have a bike like that.."

I've taken the 6000 km. round trip to southern Ontario from Sk. three of the last 4 summers to visit elderly ailing family, camping in provincial parks every night, except for that rainy one in Dryden. There are peak experiences on each I'll never forget. Do it Dmitri.
                        AZR and you couldn't have said it better. Most of my trips are solo for those exact reasons. Set your own pace be it a long mile day or just a sight-seeing day. The rallies are a hoot and enjoy them thoroughly but for longer trips traveling solo seems to work best. I've got a core group of a couple people of ridden with for decades I'll do trips with that are of the same mind set and travel with them occasionally but you sure have pick your traveling companion wisely. It can really make or break a trip.
                        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Add me to the list of those who hope to eventually do a multi week ride.
                          I would have mixed feelings on solo vs not. Great matched riding partner could be good also. As noted, the benefits of solo and the total freedom it offers are great. Plus I'm, at times, my own best company often not feeling the need for a lot of fellow human interaction.

BUT... some of my best trips in my young adulthood were solo, usually involving a long weekend in an old car or on an old bike. Looking back 20 plus years later, I have absolutely no one to reminisce with about those great times.
                          Contrast that to the trip I took with my friend- around the country in a 66 ElCamino over 3 weeks. we rarely see each other, but memories of the trip are usually brought up. it allows me to relive it in a different and shared way.

Dimitri, I hope you get to take your trip. Good luck.
                          Last edited by dorkburger; 11-17-2016, 08:45 PM.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I travel solo, I wouldn't mind traveling with someone else. I just don't have anyone to travel with. I'm a hotel person, I don't do the camping thing. I've tried camping it just never was that great. The one time I camped, I found a nice spot to set up the tent. I set my helmet on the ground, unpacked the motorcycle, set up the tent... I decided to go into town for dinner. I put my helmet on and it was full of ANTS! If I think about it even today I can still feel them wondering around my head. After getting a lousy night sleep I woke up sweating to about 90 degrees inside my tent. So, when I'm on the road give me a nice hotel room with a nice bed and air conditioning. After getting settled in my hotel room, I go out looking for local restaurants for dinner. Have a good meal a few beers and then a good night sleep and I'm ready for another day of riding 👍
                            My Motorcycles:
                            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                            79 1000e (all original)
                            82 850g (all original)
                            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I did a solo ride last summer from Indianapolis thru Illinois, northeast Iowa and up into Wisconsin. Took it easy, stayed in motels along the way but meandered along when and where I wanted. Was gone for 7 days. Met interesting people along the way. Tried to eat at Mom and Pop local restaurants and have whatever local beers might be available at the end of the day. Terrific time and hope to do at least one solo and more long distant trips each year. Highly recommended! Changed my job where I will have most of the summer free.

Bob
                              Current:
                              2008 BMW R1200RT
                              Past History:1971 Honda CB350; 1972 Bonneville
                              1979 Suzuki GS550E
                              1979 Suzuki GS850G
                              1980 Suzuki GS850G
                              1983 Suzuki GS1100E
                              2006 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
                              2004 BMW R1150 RT
                              2009 Triumph Bonneville SE

Comment