Ascot.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ascot.....

Somehow, I've been looking at Honda Ascots in the local Craigslist, ever since reading about "the Loser" which was an Ascot that was ridden very hard and put away wet. Are they any good? Anything to avoid? Carbs hard to work on?

Life is too short to ride an L.

The 500 single version? I don't know much about them other than that basic engine was used in a lot of dirt bikes and was reasonably durable. Two header pipes as I recall even though it was a single. Pretty neat bike with lots you can do to hop it up.

Honda also had a v-twin bike, VT-500, that might have also been an Ascot. I think those grew into a 650 version in later years with a single sided swingarm. Nice bikes but kind of slow. Not a Tkent sort of bike, or at least that's what I think on first blush.
    Last edited by Nessism; 11-22-2016, 08:52 AM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

i learned to ride on a 500 single Ascot, fun bike as I recall, light with a high center of gravity.
      1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

XR500 motor ... bulletproof!
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

My cousin has the VT500....84 I believe (60,000miles)...bought it new.....has been riding for 50 years...says it's one of the most fun bikes he has ever owned....and bullet proof! I think they look cool too!
          No signature

Comment

Yes, the little V-Twin is a neat version, too. Really well set up, and nice to look at.
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Rusting from the inside of the frames was an issue here - you couldn't see it till the thing snapped in half.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

The twin is the one I'm considering, like this one:

I live in a very dry place, dryer than Arizona, dryer than Utah, rust isn't an issue on anything. I have a few frames that have been sitting outside for years, the bare spots are not even surface rusted.

But thanks for the info, at least I know to get one that's been in Colorado since new.
                Last edited by tkent02; 11-22-2016, 07:54 PM.

Comment

On the singles, sometimes the inner pipe of the double walled exhaust header will break free and rattle.
                  Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

I have the Hawk GT descendant of the Ascot at least the motor is.,( 649 cc + chain drive.)I think it is the same engine family as the Deauville. easy bike to work on, small tank, (big deal.)
                    the airbox is way too small and the bike runs and sounds much nicer if you give it more air, carburation was real easy to dial in and the carbs were dead simple to R&R. (the hawk is a perimeter frame)
                    supertrapp pipe,,, a very visceral bike to ride. (sounds like "an axe murderer running through a church")
                    the torque curve is dead flat, electric motor.
                    I have been wanting to pick up a VT 500 ascot for a while now to use for a "desert sled" logging road tourer. too bad its shaft drive, but thats not a deal breaker.
                    Last edited by derwood; 11-22-2016, 11:02 PM.
                    GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

I think the shaft drive is a plus. Otherwise, why not get an XR650?
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
                        the torque curve is dead flat, electric motor.
                        That sounds boring. You guys may have saved me from a mistake.

Comment

the party is over around 8000 rpm. makes nice noises though,
                          the hawk at least is like a powered bicycle, but its probably 50 / 60 lbs lighter than the Ascot.
                          As far as power goes the Hawk realistically... about 50 hp (thats 650cc) the ascot at 500cc, with power sucking shaft drive, significantly less.
                          think Briggs and Stratton,
                          for some reason its a fun bike (NT650)
                          Last edited by derwood; 11-23-2016, 02:29 AM.
                          GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Hawk GT's aren't the fastest bikes, but man are they fun on a twisty road if properly set up. I've had mine for 21 years now and have only had to do minimal maintenance in that time. I just had to replace the original chain (sprockets looked almost new, but replaced them anyway) a month ago at over 43K miles, and have only had to adjust the valves once in the last 21 years. Just bought a second one 8 months ago. This one has a wider front wheel (better tire selection) and the engine bumped to 700cc's. Both will eventually be passed down to my son who loves Hawks. "It almost rides itself" is what he says about them. Picture of him on his '88 Hawk GT at his first track day. He has since sold it so he could buy a Triumph Daytona 675, but misses the Hawk. He's also the one in my avatar, taken shortly after I bought the first Hawk GT.
                            A64F9319.jpg
                            Last edited by Guest; 11-23-2016, 12:26 PM.

Comment

My first bike was a Ascot. Great bike for what they cost I think I paid $250 for mine in running condition. Sold it for $1300 6 years later. I had the red one, they only came in red and black. Lost of torque from that 89mm piston but it is under carbed. I put a flat slide 35mm mikuni on mine and removed the inner pipes from the header with a F1 racing exhaust. Got rid of the airbox and put a K&N on it which really woke up the bike. fun fun bike to ride and light but the forks do have some flex in them when you ride hard through the twisties. Parts for the gauges are hard to come by if you can find them at all. The really bad part of the design was the electric starter they added when they made it a street bike. If it works well with no weird noise your good but can be problimatic if its been abused by cranking and cranking when it wont start. But there is a fix for a starter gear issue. Kind of gutless above 80mph but it gets there quickly and it has a great exhaust sound. If you get one with a bad seat I have a perfect spare I need to get rid of. Woops all that said and now I see you are looking for a VT500....Dam
                              Last edited by Guest; 12-22-2016, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X