No announcement yet.

Ascot.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think both versions look very nice. I enjoy doing mod-stock, either one of these would look very cool. Especially the v-twin.
    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
      XR500 motor ... bulletproof!

Um....,no.

The first one I bought new burned up its top end on warranty. Honda knew what they were doing when they gave them a 6 month warranty. In the first La Carrera road race in Mexico, XR variants didn't finish. My dad had one, and I inherited it when he passed. He loved it. I sold it to my nephew. His GB500 was too low, and his Suzuki 600 single cruiser was too far the other way. He was talking Buell Blast, and I talked him into checking out an Ascot. It was his favorite bike ever. He liked to put around on old farm and logging roads at a slow pace, and ride the paved back roads.

They are a little small, and slow. They handle OK. Suspension is too soft. They are cute. The counterbalancers work. The only problem that is pretty severe is something in the starter that breaks. Supposedly it is common, but I haven't seen it ever in the two I had. My nephew put a take-off GS1100G round light on his when my brother installed an 8" from a 1100E. Giant improvement in styling. Last time I rode it, I was shocked at how wobbly the levers were.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

What year did you own? A '79? We had several early '80's versions among our friends and they were unbreakable.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

I don't remember what years mine were. My brother and I rode up to Yosemite to camp out. He rode the Ascot I bought for him. I had to drop needles on the Commando I was riding, and didn't get the balance tube on the Mikunis right. It was running really lean, and I kept messing with it on the way between Lee Vining and Mojave, and didn't figure out what was wrong until the next morning. I wasn't pulling the carbs to do it. We ran across the desert South on 395 to Mojave at about 70 to 75 into a head wind with the Commando not running well. I did not know that the Honda was flat out and overheating. There aren't that many fins on the head on those things. I still like them OK, but I don't think that running one flat out on a hot day is a good idea. The motors are not strong enough.

As an aside, we were robbed at the motel in Mojave. Someone actually came in and took our wallets while we slept. Unlocked the door, and lifted up the little chain and everything.
          Last edited by 850 Combat; 02-05-2017, 01:13 PM.

Comment

This could be a diamond in the rough:

Current stable:

85 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
            87 Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator
            99 Kawasaki ZRX1100 Eddie Lawson replica
            15 Yamaha VMAX - The Maroon Monsoon

Comment

Owned an FT500 in 1984 new. They had problems with the starter drive gear, stripping. Not a fast bike on top end but very good low end torque. Real good brakes with a rear disk. People hop them up but the starter gear is a problem with higher compression ratios.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Tom,
                THe engines are a lot like this bike.

Pulls pretty good for a 500, in my opinion.
                But the Ascot doesnt look like an L har har har

Last edited by Redman; 02-12-2017, 02:16 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

That engine was good.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

ThThe 2 cylinder Ascot was way better looking than the single, and I have no experience with it. Only the single.

Comment

Working...
                    X