Introducing myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing myself

Ok so apparently originally I introduced myself in the wrong area, my bad, I'm sorry should have read it properly. ok So my name is Mark Davies I live in Sherwood Park Alberta Canada, its near Edmonton. I'm a Journeyman Motorcycle mechanic and welder, currently unemployed due to the ****ty economy here and winter coming in (to cold to ride around here in the winter). I own two GS' both 1979's one 550 (burgundy) and a 425 (black/blue).

I rescued the 550 from the wreckers last year rebuilt the engine last winter, no compression on 2 of the cylinders and the output shaft's splines were worn off. sold my record collection to put the money into it, still a couple little things to do to the engine, needs new electronic ignition the points are done. would like to swap out the cams to ones from a 650. I'm building it into a kind of cafe/brat bike, trying to get a Honda cbr 600 triple trees, forks, dual disk brakes to work with the frame and original rim, need to get some machining done to do it but I'm pretty sure I can get it to work. kinda stalled out on it due to lack of funds.
    gs550-1.jpg
    original condition

I acquired the 425 as payment for some mechanical work done for him. It had been sitting in a barn for 15 or more years, cleaned the carbs washed the dust and pigeon crap off it, changed the oil and got it running again. pulled the engine to give it a really good scrub and as i was cleaning it i discovered that the lower case half was broken by the sprocket, one of the bolt holes for the sprocket cover (also broken) is completely gone off the case half and the shifter shaft is bent, so I tore it apart would like to get new case halves, sprocket cover, shifter shaft. what I'd like to do is get the wiesco 844cc pistons, the bigbore cylinders for the 750. read about using these on another thread on this forum. bore out the cylinders to fit, use cams from a 500 twin or something degree cams, get a friend of mine to port and polish the intake for me. hard tail the frame using a kit from Voodoo vintage fabrication, kit is made for the 550 but I can make some small altercations to the kit and make it work with the 425 frame. might use a sportster front end might not.

I'm trying to get some more pictures up but its not working, might be to big I'll see what I can to do and get some more pics up.

gs550 mockup1.jpg
    here's a pic of the mock up with the honda front end.

Comment

gs425.jpg
      here's the 425 as i got it

Comment

gs engines.jpg
        here's the two engines

Comment

Welcome!

This is going to be fun to watch. Thanks for intro and pics.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Hey and welcome Mark,
            i also came some days before into that friendly forum.
            I think it´s the best way to ride a motocycle by awaking again
            a phoenix from ashes and to allow crossing the wings with
            stripes of asphalt of the roads.
            oha, may be a little bit pathetic ... but i love it at all
            Tammo

Comment

Welcome Mark. Good luck with the builds. the 550 ening is looking great.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Welcome aboard!
                Current Bikes:
                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Welcome to the GSR. Fun project you have going.

The good news is with the Kinder Morgan and Line 3 projects being approved, PLUS OPEC cutting production, the oil and gas sector should see an uptick, resulting in a trickle down to all of the supporting industries.

The bad news is, more work equals less downtime for projects.
                  '83 GS650G
                  '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

...oohhhh.... nice start ...

Keep the pictures coming (especially during the winter months when some of us can't ride due to snow & ice)
                    Currently in the Stable :
                    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

so finally got a job in motor sports again after 6 month of not working in the industry, that was a little over 2 weeks ago now, well Saturday they had an open house and shortly after the closed up and everybody left the building burnt to the ground nothing salvageable. lost all my tools that I had just taken there, luckily the shops insurance is covering my tools, yeah all new tools! whoot! just need to wait and wait and wait......

Comment

Tough way to get new tools.
                        Are they going to restart the business?
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

ya we're hoping to have a shop and doors open again by the new year but we'll see what happens time wise but ya

Comment

Working...
                          X