Kodak's 1980 GS850G Build "Hoosier Hunk"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kodak's 1980 GS850G Build "Hoosier Hunk"

Alright it's a working title but this thread is overdue. I was hoping to have a neat package of build pics and the right phrasing, but hell it's better late than never. Big shoutout to Steve and Ghostgs1 for the Shim Club and Steve for answering far more questions than stranger should overload their inbox with. This is my first motorcycle, ridden dirt bikes in the past, and I think it's perfectly imperfect for me. I had been searching for almost a year and finally had enough in the "FOR BIKE" piggy bank when I came across my bike to be. Drove during game 7 of the world series in the pouring rain listening to the absolute worst audio feed via AM radio with my cousin. That's how bad I wanted this bike or how little I cared about baseball ( don't tell dad). Either way you split the curlies it's a great memory and story. Bike came with every part that came off of it that was replaced with aftermark or OEM. So I have two sets of carbs, OEM turn signals, side covers, spare set of forks, handlebars, carb parts, wiring, brake, stock exhaust, etc. Bike doesn't run and has sat for a year and a half at 23,000 miles on the clock. So this will be a thread documenting my progress on getting this bike road ready by April. Some cutting and welding will occur, to what extent will be determined. Don't shake your fists in contempt at ruining a potential restoration in exchange for a young man's vision! Let's show the goods.

as advertised on craigslist

yummy parts (aka bike fund monies)

(don't see a build where I incorporate this, hello classifieds)

Seat was just reupholstered

I geeked out over this, OEM toolkit. This has been cleaned up quite well.

More to come!
    Last edited by Guest; 11-29-2016, 11:49 PM. Reason: @ doesn't work as a tag option

Some more goodies, eventually I'll post actual mechanical progress.
    I picked up a tip about using diet coke (non-sticky source of phosphoric acid) and aluminum foil to clean surface rusted chrome. Well I dipped the tools in diluted acetic acid and worked on the two sets of handlbars and the chrome on the passenger back res with aluminum foil. Everything but the tools got Mothers Polish and it cleaned it right up. Luggage rack is fairly rusty and most likely will be cleaned up and sold or painted.

Really happy with how this turned out, polished and cleaned up

Comment

Originally posted by Kodak View Post
      Big shoutout to @Steve and @Ghostgs ...
      Thanks, ... I think.

What's that squiggly, circly thing in front of my name? Sorry, but it is not part of my name.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sorry Steve, another forum I'm a part of allows you to use the "@" to tag a member so they are notified that they were mentioned in a post. Will edit that. But yes a big thanks to you!
        Last edited by Guest; 11-29-2016, 11:51 PM.

Comment

This forum is pretty much old-school, like our bikes. Unless you subscribe to a thread, there are no notifications.

I just happened to see it because I'm on here a lot.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hey Kodak. Looks like a nice starting point. I got a laugh from your "geeking out" comment on the toolkit- I can identify..... Mine came with the kit and a security locking chain- which could be adequate in a classy neighborhood. .... maybe. Anyway, good luck with the project.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
              Hey Kodak. Looks like a nice starting point. I got a laugh from your "geeking out" comment on the toolkit- I can identify..... Mine came with the kit and a security locking chain- which could be adequate in a classy neighborhood. .... maybe. Anyway, good luck with the project.
              You have to appreciate the assumption when they supplied that security chain they knew the customer base would only require such a provision for their dwellings... right?? I have the Suzuki tire pressure gauge as well, though its non functional.

Getting my feet wet I embarked on taking off the valve cover and breather box, stator cover, and valve cover caps. Sanded them with 180 grit, then 200, then 320 grit. I later decided I wasn't happy with the finish on the caps so Al02 blasted them and polished them on a buffing wheel. Still not happy, I've got that bug to polish them to a chrome finish. the valve covers got a nice 220 grit "brushed finish". Over the winter I'll chew on the idea of attempting anodizing, having a background in chemistry have given me an inflated sense of confidence, or going with a wrinkle powder coat finish on the stator cover and valve cover.

Last edited by Guest; 12-04-2016, 11:26 PM.

Comment

After spending hours sanding, wiping, and sanding some more I went ahead and tackled checking the valve clearances. In hindsight, which seems to be always my best sight, I would recommend a couple things to first timers like myself.
                • Go here http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
                and read it from top to bottom
                • Specifically read this it will save you a tremendous amount of time, then message Steve for his excel spreadsheet for valve clearances
                • For pulling shims do not buy the shim tool, get some good zip ties and follow this
                • Some suggest using quarters for adjustment but I found using dollar coins hold up and fit better though I'm getting a disapproving look from President Lincoln

• Finally, make sure you have some calipers and feeler gauges to check clearances and shim thickness. Contact Ghostgs1 for the shim club info

My valves were tight tight, most of the shims I put back in were .10 mm smaller than before. Inspected the cams and they looked good.

Got an awesome coworker who has lent me his calipers and micrometer. Yes, it is overkill but I wanted to feel what real good tools are like and this is an excuse. He also fabricated a fork nut tool for me that will come in another post.
                Last edited by Guest; 12-04-2016, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Man I can't believe how much time has passed since I started on this bike. In your mind, I'm assuming this is universal, is that conceptually all of this should take a couple months. Life seems to alter those plans dramatically. I'm pretty proud of how much I have accomplished through the winter and on my few hours a week of availability. Just a quick update:

Bike is on jack stands. No engine, wheels are off, and the carbs are apart.
                  Tires have been sanded and prepped for paint.
                  Carbs have been cleaned three times and have new o-rings and stainless steel screws
                  Engine has been degreased, primed, and painted.
                  Forks rebuilt.
                  Battery tray cut out and electronics ready to be put in a fabbed tray.

I sanded the cooling fins with an electric file belt sander from Harbor Freight...with a coupon...we're building on a tight budget.
                  Then painted and did a mild heat cure, couldn't get consistent temp with heat lights and heat gun.
                  Then went back over and sanded the fins to reveal the raw aluminum

In between shot

99% finished

Since that photo I have sanded and polished the aluminum covers. Polishing is an addiction, time consuming, dirty, and tiring addiction. Don't do it kids!

Sooooo then I stripped the black painted forks, sanded and polished them up. I should note before sharing the pictures, I am not going for perfection at this point in my build. I am trying to quickly develop minimum competency to accomplish this build to a safe and riding condition before June...or the second week of June. Minimum Viable Product. This winter I will go back and repaint or touch up the polishing job. My reasoning is that I want to display an intent and concept of my build, which really is an imitation of another build on another website, and be able to enjoy the bike. Maybe you disagree but I'm trying to keep my invested dollars and time to a minimum and prove that I am on the right track. Paint is cheap. Sandpaper is cheap, buying a bunch of expensive parts without appreciating the motorcycle and experience is wasteful in my opinion. Huge thanks to you guys for helping me through this build!

Before

50/50

Finished but maybe I'll go with a brushed look

Here is my inspiration bike, I've messaged the owner a few times and have gotten a lot of valuable insight on comfort/position/fabrication that I believe I can improve on to get the look without overly sacrificing comfort.

Interested to hear your guys' thoughts!
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2017, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Made some more progress over the weeks. Quick summary:

Aquired inexpensive sheet metal and practiced welding.
                    Chopped the frame and welded in a rear hoop
                    Fabricated an electronics tray that will be soon redesigned and replaced
                    Purchased LED bulbs for a custom turn signal idea as well as a LED brake light and license plate light
                    Purchased a SH-775 R/R and got a Delkevic Exhaust
                    Purchased Dyna Ignition Coils
                    Notable Occasion:
                    Steve stopped by and lent a hand as well as talked me through a lot of problems. He taught me how to solder and that was a huge help considering the look I'm going for with clean hidden wiring requiring lots of rewiring. We got the ignition coils diagnosed as most likely bad and with the new Dyna coils the spark is huge compared to before.
                    Engine is back in and I started it for the first time last night. Sounds amazing. Will have to post a video later. I've got a less hot second cylinder exhaust header. I'm getting good spark so I'll have to check compression. Might have to put in a new head after all!!!

Comment

I'm loving this so far, keep it up and I would love to see it!

Comment

Awesome thread.

BTW, Do you have an affinity for the yellow box, or is Kodak just a convenient user name?

Comment

Working...
                        X