Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Shock Spring Rates for GS1000G

Hi:

I'm considering new high end shocks from Race Tech for my GS1000G. I weigh slightly over 200 lb. I don't ride that aggressively, but I do sometimes load saddlebags and trunk. Anybody have recommendations on spring rates, or information on stock rates?
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
    Hi:

I'm considering new high end shocks from Race Tech for my GS1000G. I weigh slightly over 200 lb. I don't ride that aggressively, but I do sometimes load saddlebags and trunk. Anybody have recommendations on spring rates, or information on stock rates?
    I purchased Hagon shocks earlier this year for my '83 XJ900 which is about 50lbs lighter than the GS1000G bikes I've owned. It also is a better handling bike too. I ride harder into the twisties so I went with the stock spring, which was a little stiff solo riding with no baggage, at first.
    I talked with the owner to work out springs but you can read over this link if it helps. I weigh 165 lbs but ride a lot with a passenger or 40-50 lbs of camping/travel gear.
    BTW, does your GS1000G have stock shocks on it now? My GS850G still has original stock shocks with 20k on them and I still like them.

Looks like you have to call Race Tech for best springs to suit your needs according to this link.

http://www.race-tech.com/ProductSearch/2/Suzuki/GS1000/1978-82

Last edited by Guest; 12-05-2016, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Progressive lists the "standard" rate as 90/130 and the HD as 105/150.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Progressive lists the "standard" rate as 90/130 and the HD as 105/150.
        The Hagon shocks I got were the standard 90/130 also, but a little stiff at first solo riding.

Comment

I have Hagons on one of my G's, and on my RD400. They are fine. I had Race Tech rebuild my forks, and I want to try their shocks. I haven't installed the forks yet. I've looked at a few XJ900s. All the ones I have seen have been pretty thrashed, unfortunately. I have owned several XJ650 Secas, and they have merit. A little revy/buzzy, but a bigger engine with taller gearing should address that. I have a complete NOS 9" headlight for a 650 Seca. It took me years of E Bay saved search to obtain all of the parts.

Comment

I have Koni shocks on my 850G(K), which weighed a few pounds more than your 1000 before I added all the GK luggage.

The stock progressively-wound spring rates are 18-33 Kg/cm (100-185 lbs/in) and I have them on the highest preload to keep my ride height at the proper level. Since they tend to bottom out if I am carrying a passenger that is large enough to cast a shadow, I have acquired some upgraded springs, which are 22-39 Kg/cm (123-219 lb/in). Hopefully the stronger springs, along with a rebuild kit and fresh fluid will give me the carrying capacity and the smooth ride I am looking for.

I have Sonic 1.1 springs and 10w oil in the forks, the ride is wonderful. I will be installing emulators soon, I have been told that the ride improvement will be that much better. I can't wait to find out.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have Koni shocks on my 850G(K), which weighed a few pounds more than your 1000 before I added all the GK luggage.
              My gravitational attraction is also just a bit more than yours, to the tune of about 2 stone.

The stock progressively-wound spring rates are 18-33 Kg/cm (100-185 lbs/in) and I have them on the highest preload to keep my ride height at the proper level. Since they tend to bottom out if I am carrying a passenger that is large enough to cast a shadow, I have acquired some upgraded springs, which are 22-39 Kg/cm (123-219 lb/in). Hopefully the stronger springs, along with a rebuild kit and fresh fluid will give me the carrying capacity and the smooth ride I am looking for.

I have Sonic 1.1 springs and 10w oil in the forks, the ride is wonderful. I will be installing emulators soon, I have been told that the ride improvement will be that much better. I can't wait to find out.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I recommend Hagons. I have Progressives on the 650 and i prefer the hagons.
                You know you have good shocks when you don't need to think about how they work, they just perform well.
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I can't do Koni. I have never had good srevice with them. The strut inserts in my '68 Ford Cortina blew out at an early age, and one of the rear shocks (bought new by me in the 70s) got rust on the shaft and blew the seal nearly immediately. This happened in Southern California, not the rust belt.

I had Koni America re-valve and rebuild the strut inserts, and they made them externally adjustable for rebound and compression. I haven't reinstalled them yet. My personal experience with Koni isn't good. Thanks for the information on spring rates.

Comment

I decided Racetech shocks don't give enough bang for the buck. The same features are available for less. I bought YSS, and their sales people (EPM Performance Imports, 732-786-9777) talk to you about you, your bike and your riding style to figure out how to set up the shock. Here's my specs:

RG 362-335 TRCL Twin Shocks - Piggy Back Reservoir-Threaded

Pre-Load-Rebound, Compression & Length Adjustable + 10 mm

Spring: 20-30 N/mm = 114 - 171 lbs/inch

I'm about 260, plus GK luggage, sporty street riding. I like these shocks a lot.

Somebody's numbers must be funny if Steve is running out of preload with less rate and a nearly identical bike. I didn't add any of the available 10mm of extra length to level the bike, and I don't think I added an enormous amount of preload. Maybe I did. I have threaded-body adjusters, and it sounds like Steve's Konis have cams.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                    X