Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G lower gasket between jug and crankcase

Hi,
    I'm doing valves and rings on my 82 GS850g. I have the jugs off and there appears to be a gasket on the bottom portion of the jug. However this gasket is on so well I'm having an extremely difficult time removing it. Is this normal? I hope I haven't screwed up. Any help appreciated..

Normal yes. The bottom gasket gets well and truly stuck and takes patience and care to avoid gouging the surface. Solvent helps sometimes depending on the gasket.
    Consensus is the oem is the surest replacement. That said I fitted a NE brand last year with no issues.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

If you can find some Permatex gasket remover it helps. Spray it into a cup and use an acid brush to apply it. You gotta let it work for about 1/2 hour before you try to scrap and it will take several applications before the job is done. Only thing though is that the "low VOC" formula gasket remover SUCKS and doesn't work. You need the regular stuff. Some aircraft type paint stripper, the type that requires mineral spirits to remove, works reasonably well, but not as good as the gasket remover. Just hope you can find some of the good stuff.

Edit: did a google search and it seems there are various brands of gasket remover. CRS makes some and they typically make good stuff.
      Last edited by Nessism; 12-05-2016, 04:37 PM.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thank you,
        I'll search out the Permatex and try for the good stuff. I just glad I didn't screw up..

Comment

I tried the Parmatex with no luck. Then I tried a carb and choke cleaner from Berrymman- B-12 Chemtool Professional. Itseems to work fairly well. Thanks for all your help....

Comment

I did consider asking a paleontology forum
            Had varied success with nail varnish remover, mek, whatever is on the shelf until I find something or combination of things that wets it.
            97 R1100R
            Previous

Comment

As a retired Toyota mechanic I have removed many gaskets from aluminum. The best thing to use is razor blade in a long handled sticker scrapper. Just take care not to nick the sealing surface. Just take your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chip View Post
                (...)The best thing to use is razor blade in a long handled sticker scrapper. Just take care not to nick the sealing surface. Just take your time.
                Did a similar thing; used a small office cutter knife: https://www.amazon.com/NT-Cutter-Aut.../dp/B001MT8PR8
                #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Maybe this is too late for the OP, but if the gasket is stuck to the bottom of the barrel, couldn't you just soak the whole thing in a pan with some kind of varnish remover? I'm just thinking maybe sit it on something like some nuts just enough to keep it off the bottom of the pan. That way it could work better as a soak. Overnight should loosen it up nicely.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

I heat the gasket up with a propane torch and use a thin chisel. Stuff rags all around the rods so crap doesnt fall in and they give up like cornered criminals.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      I heat the gasket up with a propane torch and use a thin chisel. Stuff rags all around the rods so crap doesnt fall in and they give up like cornered criminals.
                      That's funny. I like what you do with your vocabulary Chuck.
                      Last edited by alke46; 12-21-2016, 07:34 PM.
                      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Think I'll give that a miss. Thoughts of reading them their rights and all that paperwork..............
                        97 R1100R
                        Previous

Comment

Use the chisel "upside down" like you do when using it on wood. Less apt to dig into gasket surface. Our tech's used to use muriatic acid and a q-tip, but be very careful with that method as acid and aluminum is not a good mix when used improperly.
                          Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                          Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                          Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Working...
                          X