Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ignition kill for air shifter HELP PLEASE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ignition kill for air shifter HELP PLEASE!

Just bought a dyna shift counter. i am installing this on stock ignition gs750.

what I am trying to find is were do I need to hook up the relay? ( on the O/W Wire to the coils or the o/w to the ignition box. i don't know thats why I'm asking.)

what Relay should I use? (assuming one with a NC pole).

also going to be adding a shift minder to the system to activate the shifter.(think I have that one figured out though). Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Ask dyna. Me, I'd break the o/w wire going to ignition box to clamp rpms.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Is this any help? http://www.mpsracing.com/instructions/dynatek/dsc-1.pdf
      See 4b I would use a NC relay to the coil + and cut the power when shifting. Might have a nasty backfire when it turns back on though. Some of the other kill boxes short out the - side of the coil and are potentially smoother.
      sigpic
      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
      1983 GS1100e
      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
      1980 GS1260
      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

I'm gonna be talking to dyna in a few days when my shift counter gets here. I was thinking the o/w to the ignition box too, that way the Coils still have full powerall the time.

already have a 2-step hooked up to the trigger wires on the coils. that was a pretty simple install.

Comment

If it were me I would put the relay in the ground leg of the Ignitor with a capacitor and flyback diode across the relay(optional).

This if kind of like just turning the ignition off with teh KEY but there is every possibility of a mistimed spark on either coil when you do the kill.

Last edited by posplayr; 12-07-2016, 02:08 AM.

Comment

the ignition is stock on a 1982 gs750. any way that might limit the possibility of mistimed spark. this is being used for drag racing. wish I had the money to just order a complete ignition system but I'm a broke ass, so just one peice at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by rare_redneck View Post
              the ignition is stock on a 1982 gs750. any way that might limit the possibility of mistimed spark. this is being used for drag racing. wish I had the money to just order a complete ignition system but I'm a broke ass, so just one peice at a time.
              There are two reason for lifting the ground.

1.) If there are any transients from sparking and they come through on O/W then the relay will not see that on the low side of the Igniter. That is because when you lift the ground, it is turning the igniter off which is disconnecting it from its ground which means nothing can get to the relay.

If the relay is on the high side then shutting off the igniter does nothing to protect the relay.

An ignition cutoff like your ignition key is a heavy switch with big contacts designed to take any of that type of arching abuse. While a Bosch type relay is rated at 30/40 amps that doesn't mean it can handle 50-60 volts (that might occur at an ignition cycle) on the contact without jumping the gap.

Bottom line is you probably don't need protections on the low side (ground) but do on the high side (O/W)

Comment

first of all thanks for everyones input. I am having to learn all this as I go (I'm one of this jack of all trades master of none guys). I will keep all this info in mind. thanks for help Poslayer.

After several emails back and forth with Dyna( which they were very helpful). they give me these instructions for installing my shift counter with stock ignition.

For the best use of the DSC-2 shift counter for this purpose, you should havea 12 volt shift button.To make it work, the output voltage from the button will attach to the purpleDSC-2 wire as well as 1 wire from your air switching valve. The second airswitching valve wire attaches to a good chassis ground.Next, we will need to break the 12 volt power supply to the coils whenshifting. So, remove the original switched 12 volt power supply to the coilsand attach to pin 30 of the relay. Please find attached a diagram of the DSC-2used to power the break power to the coils to complete the installation.Last, be sure that ignition system, DSM-4 and DRL-400 units are attached to aconstant, 12 volt power supply and not attached to the coils power supply, asthese should never have voltage removed while running.The relay needed is a standard Bosch type, 40 amp, 5 pin relay.

Comment

Originally posted by rare_redneck View Post
                  Next, we will need to break the 12 volt power supply to the coils whenshifting. So, remove the original switched 12 volt power supply to the coilsand attach to pin 30 of the relay. Please find attached a diagram of the DSC-2used to power the break power to the coils to complete the installation.The relay needed is a standard Bosch type, 40 amp, 5 pin relay.
                  This is the most brute force way to do it and will kill the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    This is the most brute force way to do it and will kill the engine.
                    Can you explain what you mean by "kill the engine"? What's an alternative?
                    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
                      Read post #7?

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
                        An air shifter is an air powered pushbutton controlled cylinder connected to the shift lever that shifts without the clutch, requiring the engine be killed for 60-80 milliseconds to let the shift dogs in the transmission move. Try it on your bike, while power is applied you can apply all the pressure you want on the shift lever and it won't move. Back off the throttle a bit and you are in the next gear. We are talking upshift, not downshift. It can also be used with Autoshift, at say 10k rpm it automatically kills the engine for a moment and shifts to the next gear. If you have never drag raced, it is pretty hard to get your feet back on the pegs in time to shift to second.
                        sigpic
                        09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                        1983 GS1100e
                        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                        1980 GS1260
                        Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

I think I remember Super Bike mike had a kit that mounted the micro switch at the shifter and had an adjustment box in milliseconds to kill the ignition. I know we put kits on some bikes back in the
                          eighties that we were just foot shifting full throttle and no clutch.. Might check him out and see if he still is in the business. I think he first did all kind of bikes then settled in on Kawasakis then V-Maxs
                          http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...n%20manual.pdf This might help a little.
                          Last edited by gs11ezrydr; 12-16-2016, 12:34 AM.
                          sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Another type box that might suit your needs
                            sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Working...
                            X