Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS850 Tourer owner!

Hi Everyone,
    Well I have just acquired a 1980 GS850G Tourer through Ebay. I set a super low price (I thought) and ended up winning this thing for less than a grand. I have no idea if it is a good deal or not. I still have to ship it to myself in Maine from CT which is going to cost about $200.
    Anyway, after the shock of finding out I won, I googled GS850 and here I am.
    My plan is to replace all the fluids, get a new battery and tires, and see what else might be going on. Any advice? I have the whole long New England winter to tinker around.

Happy Holidays everyone.

Peter

Originally posted by Peter Buehner View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    Well I have just acquired a 1980 GS850G Tourer through Ebay. I set a super low price (I thought) and ended up winning this thing for less than a grand. I have no idea if it is a good deal or not. I still have to ship it to myself in Maine from CT which is going to cost about $200.
    Anyway, after the shock of finding out I won, I googled GS850 and here I am.
    My plan is to replace all the fluids, get a new battery and tires, and see what else might be going on. Any advice? I have the whole long New England winter to tinker around.

Happy Holidays everyone.

Peter
    There is a lot of reading for you to do...

For starters, adjust the valves so they don't burn up.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hey Peter, welcome! You'll love the 850. I highly recommend reading through this thread to avoid some heartache!

1A) (NEW) Trying to diagnose running problems on a bike with an unknown maintenance history. Common maintenance items like clean carbs, properly adjusted valves, no air leaks in the intake system (airbox, carb boots), a clean gas tank (no rust), and a properly functioning petcock are 100% mandatory for the bike to run properly.

Post some pics of your bike when you get it too.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Welcome to the site, Peter.
        Lots of members in your neck of the woods.
        Photos of your new ride are required when it lands on your doorstep.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Peter, Welcome to GSR.

I had an '80 850G for 15 years. (650G before that, 1100GK now).

Will be interest to hear more about your adventures with the bike.
          Will be looking for why you call it an 850 tourer. I am guessing it has had a fairing and side bags added.

Speaking of pictures, maybe you can still snag the photos from the auction listing (right click, save image). We will need to see pics before can answer any of your questions. Yah, need to know if you have the maroon one or the black one har har har

Good that you are planning on changing the fluids and the tires.
          Two things you are going to want to check:
          1) valve adjustment
          2) charging system

Again welcome to GSR. Do introduce yourself more, and do post pics when you can.

Last edited by Redman; 12-10-2016, 10:02 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks everyone! I put the eBay photo into my signature I think. Anyway I should get it within a week or two I assume. I'm am starting my reading now!

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
              Peter, Welcome to GSR.

I had 850G for 15 years. (650G before that, 1100GK now).

Will be interest to hear more about your adventures with the bike.
              Will be looking for why you call it an 850 tourer. I am guessing it has had a fairing and side bags added.

Speaking of pictures, maybe you can still snag the photos from the auction listing (right click, save image). We will need to see pics before can answer any of your questions. Yah, need to know if you have the maroon one or the black one har har har

Again welcome to GSR. Do introduce yourself more, and do post pics when you can.

Well it has the factory fairing and tour pack, not aftermarket...the fairing is labeled with Suzuki. The listing said that it was rare to find but I may well have been sold a load of goods ☺️. Photos once I get it. Oh and it is black which I assume is the least desired color. Luckily, I love black.

Comment

Well it has the factory fairing and tour pack, not aftermarket...the fairing is labeled with Suzuki. The listing said that it was rare to find but I may well have been sold a load of goods ☺️. Photos once I get it. Oh and it is black which I assume is the least desired color. Luckily, I love black.
                Do post photo (not seeing in sig line). FOlks here can help sort out something.

I think it was 79 that could get a dealer-add-on Suzuki tagged faring (not factory) (not 1980). But I suppose could have put one of those on an 80.
                Does it look like this.....

Yes, if is one of these dealer-add-on Suzuki fairings (Califiga or something like that actaully) that is something of a rarity.
                I do not know if there was or was not also such bags available (were not shown or mentioned in this artical).
                If everthing is Windjammer or Krouser or other, those were lot more common.

THen there is the situation of maybe is a 79 model built in calandar year 1980 and registered as an 80.....
                Does it have smooth solide brake rotors or slotted rotors?
                Front fender chrome or painted like tank?
                Emblem on side panel GS850 or GS850G?
                Have a headlight switch On Off Switch, of just Hi-Low?
                Have kickstarter or no kickstarter?
                (are other significant changes from 79 model to 80 model, but these are the easiest to ask about that you would be able to see/know).
                Or Post picture.

Dave
                Last edited by Redman; 12-10-2016, 10:37 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Sorry that I cannot get the image on there. It is a triple disc brake bike. The front fairing is labeled Suzuki while the saddle bags and back rest box all say Vetter.
                  'This is very close to it...found it through google. The only difference I see is the label on the fairing and the color
                  IMG_0163.JPG

Comment

If that is the fairing, somebody has put the Suzuki label on a Vetter fairing.

Not all that bad, but it's not "Suzuki".

Black is a good color to have. Click on the link in my sig to see my '80 850G'K'.

I call it an 850G'K' because I have the rear luggage from an 1100GK, which Suzuki never put on anything except the 1100.
                    It's a "junior-sized" GK, which is one reason I call it "Junior".
                    The other reason is that it's smaller than my Wing, but equipped almost the same.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

OK, here is the bike. I finally figured out that my Ipad couldn't get the images but I can from my computer. What's the verdict? OEM touring package or just Vetter labeled? I am also including a link to the video where he says that this is the holy grail of gs fans due to the oem fairing

s-l1600 (1).jpg

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

Looks like the dealer add on fairing. Nice. Welcome.
                        David
                        1998 Suzuki Bandit
                        1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                        1978 GS1000 - gone
                        1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

OK, here is the bike. I finally figured out that my Ipad couldn't get the images but I can from my computer. What's the verdict? OEM touring package or just Vetter labeled? I am also including a link to the video where he says that this is the holy grail of gs fans due to the oem fairing

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48718[/ATTACH]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdo48bw5EDo&t=1s
                          Funny...the youtube video is labelled Honda GS850G. Nice looking bike. Vetter bags and trunk but not a Vetter fairing. Probably is a Suzuki factory fairing. Will probably need new tires once you get it running. I have a spare '80 rear rim if you'd like it. It has a different spoke and disc setup than my '82 850 but I needed the spline off of it.
                          Where in Maine are you? We have a fairly active group of GS forum members that do rides and camping through the year. You're welcome to check the Meetingplace section and join in. Or drop me a PM and we'll hook up if you're close. I'm always looking for an excuse to ride Maine too even in the cooler weather.
                          Last edited by Guest; 12-11-2016, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Thanks! I am in Orono, Maine. I had planned on new tires for sure. I will take a look at the back rim when it arrives and I will let you know. What a great find this forum is! I am headed to the meetingplace now.
                            Happy Holiday season everyone.
                            Peter
                            Last edited by Guest; 12-11-2016, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Yeah, that is the Calafia STX fairing that was a dealer-installed option, so it's sort of a "factory option" fairing. Many years ago, a friend in California had one of those on his '77 Wing, but I never had the pleasure of riding behind it to give it any kind of evaluation.

That bike appears to be in IMMACULATE condition, but I would still go through it with the proverbial fine-toothed comb. Definitely check the date codes on the tires. I'll bet the brake hoses are still original (they have date codes, too). It appeared to start rather easily in the video, but there was no indication that the bike was cold when they started the bike. If it starts harder when cold, it's an indication that the valves need to be adjusted.

If that is the bike that you "won" for less than a grand, pat yourself on the back because you stole that bike.

$200 for shipping is probably a very good price, but for that amount, you could have rented a trailer and had a LONG day drive to get it yourself.
                              Hope it arrives in a condition as good as it appears in the video.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X