No announcement yet.

New GS850 Tourer owner!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I appreciate the suggestion. I didn't even know that there was a services section in the forum until you mentioned it. A big reason for this purchase was having the experience of restoring a bike by myself but I need to balance that with making progress too. : )
    Originally posted by nejeff View Post
    Want some good advice? This will irritate some of the do it yourself purists but make some of the carb guys very happy. Take those carbs off and send them to one of our resident GS carb rebuilding service guys (check the services section) and get them properly rebuilt. They know what they are doing and will do it right! Who you send them to probably will be determined by YOUR location due to shipping costs.

While your waiting for the carbs to come back you can start doing all the rest of the stuff that needs doing (valve check, boot orings and/or carb boots, spit and shine...)

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Buehner View Post
      I appreciate the suggestion. I didn't even know that there was a services section in the forum until you mentioned it. A big reason for this purchase was having the experience of restoring a bike by myself but I need to balance that with making progress too. : )
      Exactly right...progress. And let's face it carb work is tedious, time consuming and kinda sucks. I have done MORE than my share. Some of the best money you will ever spend is having them done by a GSR forum resident and turn your focus to the rest of the bike. You'll have plenty enough wrench time getting it back to a "new" owner starting point. Get fluids changed, electrical connections cleaned up, valves checked, tires installed, carbs done and then in Spring you'll have a bike fit to ride !

Comment

I have some experience doing carbs -
        I have done several sets - and yet I still sent mine out ---

Read here for my results -->>
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...highlight=pays
        Currently in the Stable :
        2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
        1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
        - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
          Want some good advice? This will irritate some of the do it yourself purists but make some of the carb guys very happy. Take those carbs off and send them to one of our resident GS carb rebuilding service guys (check the services section) and get them properly rebuilt. They know what they are doing and will do it right! Who you send them to probably will be determined by YOUR location due to shipping costs.
          As one who does provide that service, thank you, Jeff for the suggestion.

Not sure how many actually provide the service, but I think chef1366 and I are the only ones that advertise it. Prices are similar, what you get for those prices is a little bit different, feel free to pick which one will work for you. When you decide to get it done, it doesn't really matter which direction you send the carbs. Once they are in the box, it's the same cost to send it anywhere in the country.

GS Parts and Services Forum

Chef's thread
          Review
          Review

My thread
          Review

And while you are browsing, be sure to check out the GS Shim Club and the invitation in my signature.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Is that fairing the one that mounted with a big horseshoe on the bottom? If so, I had one. It came on an excellent running '80 850G I bought for $600 delivered, as a turn key runner. It wasn't that pretty, but it was my smoothest and best shifting I ever had. They break in well at 30,000 miles. The fairing mine had was cracked where it mounted, and moved around a bit. It worked about as well as a Windjammer. It was narrower, and mounted lower than Windjammers I owned. Felt a bit lighter, and a bit less protection. I had fun on that bike. It was a loaner for years, then I gave it to a brother in law in Etna Maine. I have another GS850 in Newport, Maine, and a 1000G (with 1100G engine) in Hampden, Maine. My brother has a GS1100G in Etna Maine as well.

I prefer the 1980 and 1981 bikes like yours. The seat is the best compared to later bikes. The throttle pull is softer than the 1979, which didn't have a halogen headlight. 1981 had running lights in front which may add a little safety. Congratulations!
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
            X