No announcement yet.

New GS850 Tourer owner!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely check over everything. I have downloaded a service manual and am reading like a madman. I love your forum name! We are getting up to 9 inches of snow tomorrow so I think that shipping is the better option
    Have a great day.
    Peter

Comment

Congratulations on what looks to be a great bike! The 850Gs are fantastic bikes, absolute work horses. And if your plans are touring, your set right from the starting gate. My first GS was a 79' 850, awesome bike. While you're putting new tires on, replace the wheel bearings, super cheap and well worth the effort. Check out your final gear while you have the tire off as well, on some of the models the spline teeth can wear. There's a list of things to check on these bikes here somewhere, you've probably already seen it. Again, congratulations, she looks like a great bike and welcome to the site.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Thanks for the advice azr. I will check those things for sure. Have a great day.
        Peter

Originally posted by azr View Post
        Congratulations on what looks to be a great bike! The 850Gs are fantastic bikes, absolute work horses. And if your plans are touring, your set right from the starting gate. My first GS was a 79' 850, awesome bike. While you're putting new tires on, replace the wheel bearings, super cheap and well worth the effort. Check out your final gear while you have the tire off as well, on some of the models the spline teeth can wear. There's a list of things to check on these bikes here somewhere, you've probably already seen it. Again, congratulations, she looks like a great bike and welcome to the site.

Comment

I concure with opinions stated by others.
          Definitely is that dealer add-on fairing (that I thought was for 79 only).
          The bike is Definitely is not a 79.

Furthermore, I will say;
          Bike IS an 80 ....
          Definatly is in great condition.
          You got a good deal.

Original seat cover even.

If have the rear wheel off (you said new tires), do inspect the hub (called joint assembly on microfische) in the rear wheel. Have to remove it from the wheel for good inspection. Is not too much of a concern on an 80 (or 81) (82 on, yes, more of a concern), but if have the wheel off, should take a look.
          CAn talk more about that when you get to it. That and the valve clearance check and the charging system.

Last edited by Redman; 12-11-2016, 04:07 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Do a search on removing the rear spline here. You have 6 bolts and some retainers, and pry out with 2 large screwdrivers, but the spline has to be removed and cleaned to check for wear and condition. I use an inch of kerosene in a large Cool Whip container which is perfect size to soak spline, and an old toothbrush. I can almost guarantee that an '80 spline will be black in color and in perfect shape. Around mid'-81 through '83 they used the same crappy gold colored spline on 650G, 850G, 1100G bikes and show serious wear of spline teeth. After cleaning and drying off spline just lightly coat teeth with Moly-60 lube and have piece of mind for your trip since you're removing the rear wheel for a new tire anyway.

Comment

Every time I ride my 850 I realize why it's never going away.

Comment

Nice bike! Checked Ebay and can't find the listing anywhere, when did you buy it?

Comment

Two days ago. Here is the original listing.

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                  Nice bike! Checked Ebay and can't find the listing anywhere, when did you buy it?

Comment

It looks great. Unless there is some undisclosed engine/drivetrain damage (unlikely), you got a fantastic deal.
                    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                    1983 GS 1100 G
                    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Buehner View Post
                      Two days ago. Here is the original listing.
                      http://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Suzuki-...vip=true&rt=nc

Interesting.
                      I would agree with thier statements as being true, not over exaggerated sales bologna.

Interesting about being a fund raiser for a museam.

Even if had been in storage for a couple years, would think they would pump up the tires for the picture.

1980 Suzuki GS850G Factory Fairing Touring Bike

A Versatile & World Class Classic, only 13 k miles! there is a Cult following on these 850g's...and this one is the rare factory Conversion converted into a full dresser/sport bike!

This bike will be able to tackle anything! Short cruises to the local restaurant to cross country road trips!

Gorgeous “Deep Black” paint job that features Gold & Red pin stripping! Thins thing is a looker! The photos speak for themselves

Fully equipped with a very rare and Genuine OEM Factory Suzuki full front fairing (NOT AFTERMARKET) and Vetter side and top storage compartments

An original survivor! Meticulously maintained! Fired right up after being in storage and didn't miss a beat! Don’t miss out!

this bike has been in dry storage for two years and needs a new battery and a tune up, and a change of all fluids and tune up, plus brake service.

The perfect mix between the GS750 and 1000! Great power and agility!

Fantastic triple disk brakes!

Extremely reliable GS850 engine!

A fantastic winter project!

Ready for to make an awesome addition to your personal collection!

Please note before bidding: Please note before bidding: This motorcycle has been in storage for many years and will need a new battery & A new front tire, tune up, brake service, and fluids changed!!

This bike is being sold to help raise funds to finish the New England Motorcycle Museum project (The historic Hockanum Mill in Rockville CT!!!) So along with hundreds of other bikes from our collection it will sell as-is!...our loss your gain!

Any enthusiast of this era and more would appreciate this bike added to their collection. Attractively priced, this bike is a beauty and is ready for you. Don’t miss the opportunity to own her today, place your Bid Now! Either way, you won’t be disappointed she is waiting for you!

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Shipping

Well the shipping estimate from EBay was $205. My only quote so far has been $695.....rather upsetting. Anyone have a suggestion other than Uship.com for getting a bike from CT to Maine?

Comment

Was watching that bike myself.... think I even bid on it the first time around but the reserve wasn't met. ended up buying a gs750 Craigslist bike. then this bike was resisted. I hope its all its cracked up to be cause it looks great and you got it for a great price. Kaplan is selling off a lot of bikes... some good deal it looks like. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by gregp View Post
                            Was watching that bike myself.... think I even bid on it the first time around but the reserve wasn't met. ended up buying a gs750 Craigslist bike. then this bike was resisted. I hope its all its cracked up to be cause it looks great and you got it for a great price. Kaplan is selling off a lot of bikes... some good deal it looks like. Good luck!
                            If these people knew what they were doing they could have got more for the bike but props to the OP for snagging it, looks good!

I checked out their Ebay page, they are selling a lot of everything.

Comment

Haulbikes has a good reputation on another site i visit.
                              Some good info on shipping in this recent thread. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...hipping-a-bike
                              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Buehner View Post
                                Well the shipping estimate from EBay was $205. My only quote so far has been $695.....rather upsetting. Anyone have a suggestion other than Uship.com for getting a bike from CT to Maine?
                                Find a friend with a reliable pickup, 4 good ratchet straps, and a ramp and allow 12 hours and about 650 miles roundtrip to go pick it up on a nice day. Ask the seller if they have ramps if you don't have any. It's a heavy bike but 2 people should be able to load it up. Pay him $200 for gas/time/labor, buy lunch and a 12 pack of beer too. Renting a truck would cost you close to $500 with the mileage.
                                How long will they store it til pickup?
                                Last edited by Guest; 12-12-2016, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X