So. Thinking of going all out race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So. Thinking of going all out race

I got a few dollars. I know people. Im fairly old-ish like 52. I have an 83 gs1100. I have a good welder guy that has stuff on Yellowbullet and is turbo smart.

I know theres kits out there to bolt on. I plan on making my bottom end bullet proof. Chris Allston chassisworks well known but I don't know if they do bike works.

Thought about a rolling chassis to buy....

am i just too old to go compete?

Either that or I will make a Franken Stein Rat Rod Suzuki GS that is fairly fast. Definitely with the turbo.

Should I keep it all stock and just ride it or go for some crazy stuff ?

Choices choices.

"Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Great story!I especially liked this line, “There are no secrets in racing, but good luck trying to figure it out,” Very true...

I started roadracing at 41, and in spite of some mangled body parts I think it was one of the best decisions I ever made.
      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I told my oldest sister that I want to get back into SCCA competition, and she said, "That's a young man's game," to which I replied, "Someone should have told dad," who was racing into his 60's.
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

To add to the old man stories, I started riding and then racing motocross at 40 and loved every minute of it. I raced for a few years and then got swamped by life. I am working on getting back to having time, $$ and space to do it again.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Mark, I hope you do get back into it. I want to buy another Miata for autocross.
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

What kind of racing are you thinking of? The GS is probably better suited to drag racing because it has been done for years, or street and modest track day usage. The lack of modern tires and suspension is a real obstacle. It can certainly be overcome, but for $3-4k you can get a pretty sorted modern track bike. Let us know what you are thinking and we can point you in the right direction.
              sigpic
              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
              1983 GS1100e
              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
              1980 GS1260
              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

I started roadracing 2 years ago at the age of 45. Having riden bikes most of my life I quickly learnt to check my ego at the door. You will quickly realize how little you know your first day on the track. I assume drag racing will be similar. I can't say enough about taking classes and reading a lot to learn what you need to do both physical and mentally on the track. Unless you're one of those "aliens" where things come quickly for you, be patient and you will develop the skill to be successful.

Also, your financial status will quickly change if you want to succeed. The saying is true, it ain't cheap to go fast.

i wouldn't change anything I've done to this point except to have started racing years ago.

Have fun!

IMG_0752.jpg
                1979 GS850G
                2004 SV650N track bike
                2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by tas850g View Post
                  Having riden bikes most of my life I quickly learnt to check my ego at the door. You will quickly realize how little you know your first day on the track.
                  This is so true. On the MX track I got my ass kicked by 13 year olds sometimes. The track is extremely humbling but such a fantastically concentrated, pure riding experience.

Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
                  X