Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS650 owner from SC

Hello everyone,
    I just bought a 1983 suzuki gs650g and heard about this website. Been looking around and you guys certainly seems to be a great bunch.

The bike is a little rough and will need some work. It runs and shifts well. I will try to upload pics once I figure out how.
    This project is a bit daunting but I really wanted to take a shot at it. I've worked on dort bikes, snowmobiles and cars but not motorcycles. I mean, I've changed oil and done maintenance but that's about it. Any help along the way will be greatly appreciated.
    Zach

Hi Zach and Welcome.
    These if you haven't already found them.

1A) (NEW) Trying to diagnose running problems on a bike with an unknown maintenance history. Common maintenance items like clean carbs, properly adjusted valves, no air leaks in the intake system (airbox, carb boots), a clean gas tank (no rust), and a properly functioning petcock are 100% mandatory for the bike to run properly.

97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Welcome Zach. Sounds like you have a mechanical background, so with that and this site you should be fine. Good luck and enjoy.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Welcome to the site. Now go get your fingernails dirty. Looking forward to pics.
        Current Bikes:
        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Zach,

Welcome to GSR.

Myself being from Michigan, Would my first quess about "yooper" be correct?

650Gs are great. I had one for 20+years.

A lot of us here will say that we were similar to what you say, in that had expereince changing oil and such, and slowly worked into doing more on the bike. And you will want to yourself also. Well, unless you want to pay shop hours for simple stuff, to someone who may not be that familiar with it. (assuming you can find a place that WILL work on a 30+ year old bike. heck, some places refuse anything over 10 years).

A couple good things to start on, with your new-to-you bike will be to check the valve clearance and check the charging system. (can talk about that more when you want).

Best way to post pics is to first have them on some other photo hosting site like photobucket or one of the other similar sites.

DO tell us more of your adventure with the 650.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome! New owner here too. In fact I haven't even seen my bike yet! I have a feeling that this site is going to be incredibly helpful!

Comment

Working...
            X