Hello from Western PA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from Western PA.

Just want to introduce myself in case you see future questions. Just picked up an 82 GS450T with 13,000 miles and once it gets above 10 here (garage is a little cold, needs a heater) i'm going to start cleaning and fixing it up. PO said it was running when he listed it but the battery is shot. Hopefully I maybe able to start on it this weekend if it gets a little warmer, if not it's off to buy a heater for the garage. I'm not in a rush because it's winter but i don't want to procrastinate and not be ready by spring!

I've been reading a lot here and you have already got some answers to stuff i was thinking about, but i know there will be more once i start digging in.

Tony

IMG_20161126_152813499.jpg

Hi Tony, welcome to GS Resource. That looks like a pretty clean 450T you have there. Hopefully a fresh battery and fresh fuel is all you need to fire it up. Then do the neglected maintenance that usually comes with a older motorcycle. I don't live to far from you, maybe we can meet up this summer. 👍
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

yea just got to get the battery tonight and get it running, he said it was running on another battery but he kept the good one and he did clean the carbs right before i bought it. got the winter to clean and do maintenance. Guy kept it in great shape, no real rust issues or anything and tank paint is great which is good as i love the color. It does need new tires also.

I'm about 20 miles south of Pittsburgh for reference.

Comment

Welcome to the site, Willy.
        If you have already been cruising around the site you will have discovered to NOT believe pretty much everything a p.o. says.
        Good looking bike.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Willy Tony,
            Welcome to GSR.

Thanks for the introduction.
            Ah, just up the road from Washington (or Wershingtin peeeayh as my grandma from Natrona might have said).

Looks like a great condition all stock GS there. Lots of folks like the Ts. The chrome of the Ls but not the seating position and bars. The standard styling for more more longer riding.

Good that you are going to get a new battery. (and don't try jump starting it from a running car/truck).

Looks like not much of the 13 thousand miles were on those tires, but do learn to find and read the date code on the tires.

Again, really great looking bike, fine stock condition, shiny paint and chrome. Great. (and good that haven't heard you mention anything about a sawzall. .... just my opinion.)

Did PO say anything about checking the valve clearance....?
            If not (or even if so), that is something you are going to want to check.
            Also check the charging system (battery volts at about 4000rpm).

Do post more of your adventures.

>> later note>>
            About running the bike in the garage with snow & ice outside:
            I have found that to be tormenting and causing some anguish.
            But, less bothersome if just stand next to it, not sitting on seat.

And,.... open more than one door or window.

Last edited by Redman; 12-16-2016, 02:01 PM. Reason: add later note

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome!

I love the "T" series bikes and yours is a nicely conditioned addition to your life. The spokes adds 70s vintage look and I like it.

I know what you mean about a cold garage. I just replaced our two-car garage door with a better, more rigid unit but it's still cold in there. A small heater from harbour freight does the trick with garage door closed.

Enjoy the time getting her up and running whilst doing the necessary maintenance. And moar pics please!

There's a "T" thread too...you can post and look at other "Ts". I'll post link in a little bit.

Ed

EDIT: here you go...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...nk)&highlight=
              Last edited by GSXR7ED; 12-16-2016, 03:58 PM.
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Originally posted by GSXR7ED
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

So just wanted to say thanks to you all. As i started in, as usual with these bikes that have been sitting and the age, i ran into a few little issues. But Searching the site has helped me a bunch. First issue was the start button, few searches later and i took it apart, cleaned the insides, fixed a broken part and it's now working. I figured it was the button after jumping the solenoid and bypassing the clutch safety switch. So now it seems that all electrical is ok and i'm on to my new issues and maintenance. Looks like the carbs need cleaned as she turn over but doesn't fire up. Plus i'm going to get new plugs. I've read the carb cleaning but i'll read it again as this will be my first dive into them.

Also have a problem with the clutch that I will ask in the other section when i get to it. Cant get the thing to go into any gear, only neutral. Well it went into first gear yesterday, then today no first but got 2nd 3rd and 4th. Then a few hours later after fixing the start button i only get neutral. I adjust the clutch per the Clymer manual, no luck. Also took the cover off the sprocket and it was a mess inside. It looked like there were bugs, grass, what looked like spider eggs and it was caked with gunk that was so thick and sticky.
                Didn't get into the clutch side as i need to get a drip pan to drain the oil. (nope can't steal a pan from the wife)

Just a little update and it's one thing at a time, but just wanted to say that if it were not for the site and the abundance of info here i'd still be spinning in circles. Hope to have some time this week to crank some more, but work may get int the way. :-) BUT, the week between xmas and new year i'm off so i'll have some free time.

If you all have links to some threads about the clutch and carbs let me know so i can read some more. Wish i would have took a pic of the gunk but i forgot, I'll try to get some up later.

Happy Holidays and thanks in advance as i know i'll be asking question later.
                Last edited by Guest; 12-18-2016, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Hey Tony - Nice to see another 450. I have a couple of the L's and always wanted a T, yours looks like its in great shape.

I'm sure you've seen this site:

Theres a CV carb rebuild tutorial on the right side for the BS34 carbs on the GS450's that I found really useful.
                  As for the clutch, maybe just a combination of not being run in a while + dirty oil + cold weather + ???.
                  I would first address the carbs and perform the valve adjustments to get it running so you can do a proper oil change after warming up the oil, then take it from there.

I've also gone through a couple of New England winters working on cold engines in freezing temperatures, it sucks. This year I put my fix up GS750 in my buddy's garage that has a wood stove so it's a lot better.
                  Have fun and good luck!
                  1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                  1977 GS550
                  1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Yep, going to do the carbs and getting it running first, then on to the next fix, change, etc. And yes working in the cold garage stinks, got a heater the other day as i believe i'm hooked and this will be happening in more winters to come. i get addicted and once this one is running and looking good i can see my self looking for another challenge.

Comment

OK so I just got an offer to buy an 84 GS450 engine on the frame with from forks for $75. (supposedly running 4 months ago, no title and the add title only says 1984 Suzuki GS450). Worth it even if it wasn't truly running? I was wondering if any parts from that would work on My 450T. Just in case i start in and see i may need something i'd have a whole engine to pick from. Guy said he sold everything else on Ebay.

Should I grab it for that price? He was supposed to send me pics but hasn't yet, they were on the Craig's List ad but it's down now and from what i remember it look pretty good. I guess i could back out if it get there and it's in complete shambles. He just wants it out of his driveway
                      Look i'm getting obsessed.

Comment

I was going kinda crazy looking at parts for my "T" when I first bought it...So I know what you mean about being obsessed (more like a fanatic). Take a look at the engine's serial number...But first write your engine's number down to compare. (I suggest that for gee whiz, maybe it will be similar analysis) If you like what you see and feel good about the situation, go for it. The way I look at it, there's usable parts on the bike.

Ed
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                        X