No announcement yet.

Drew's 83 750e project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You just need a stator cover gasket,most GS's have oil in the stator area.Seems like a Suzuki thing.

Comment

The stator wire grommet could be a possible source. The transmission output shaft seal or something under the sprocket cover is also on that side of the bike. At any rate the first thing to do is clean up all the old oil really well and then watch for the leak source after the first subsequent start. One trick that some guys expouse is to spray talc foot powder over the affected area since that will help you pinpoint the leak source.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I've talked to the PO who was a little dodgy on this issue. He had pulled the stator cover because he thought the starter was locking up. I don't think there is an oil leak problem at all other than it now needs a gasket. I believe it was just on the side stand, so there was more oil than he expected. One of the cover bolts was missing, he told me he had lost it. I had some spares from my 850, so I went to replace it. Turns out the threads in the case are stripped. Not a problem, I can helicoil that.

What may be an issue though, is the starter clutch. It has some in and out play on the large gear. Is this normal?

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

He's gonna kick himself one day when he realizes he gave it away because he didn't realize there was supposed to be oil behind the stator cover.

Comment

Originally posted by DohcBikes View Post
            He's gonna kick himself one day when he realizes he gave it away because he didn't realize there was supposed to be oil behind the stator cover.
            People make mistakes...It happens. Count yourself fortunate if you are recipient.

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Nah if I bought that bike and found out all it needed was a stator cover gasket i'd send the guy a couple hundred more dollars. I realize not everybody is built that way.

Comment

It may need a little more than that. I haven't worked on a starter clutch before. Anyone know if there is supposed to be in and out play on the large gear? It doesn't seem right.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by DohcBikes View Post
                  Nah if I bought that bike and found out all it needed was a stator cover gasket i'd send the guy a couple hundred more dollars. I realize not everybody is built that way.
                  I honor your decision. But...Dang! He got a bargain for that bike. $350 would be a bargain and he paid $275? I bought a parts bike for that much. That's crazy fortunate.

Ed
                  GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                  GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                  Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                  Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

The RR on that model is a particularly weedy one... would suggest upgrading as when they go they throw off 19v or so which is not good for the CDI. The first you'll know of it is when you blow your 2nd headlight bulb in a day.

Nice score
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

There is a fair amount of play in that gear.Mine rattles like crazy when it's cold.Changing from an aftermarket gasket to an OEM helped a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                        There is a fair amount of play in that gear.Mine rattles like crazy when it's cold.Changing from an aftermarket gasket to an OEM helped a bit.
                        That's good to know. I didn't want to pull it if it wasn't necessary. Just need a gasket and fix the rear turn signals I hope.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

You are going to remove it when you change out the gasket.I thought it was the starter clutch when it started rattling to but it was fine.Salty monk's right get a better RR,the SH-775 should just squeeze into stock location. I have a PH-009 in my 85 and I believe they're the same size.If I'd heard about the SH that's what i would have got.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                            You are going to remove it when you change out the gasket.I thought it was the starter clutch when it started rattling to but it was fine.Salty monk's right get a better RR,the SH-775 should just squeeze into stock location. I have a PH-009 in my 85 and I believe they're the same size.If I'd heard about the SH that's what i would have got.
                            I'm referring to the big gear behind the starter clutch. That's the one that is moving in and out a millimeter or 2. Would have to pull the rotor and starter clutch to get to it. Does yours have play on that gear?

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

That gear is part of the starter clutch and it's normal for it to have some lateral play.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Great! Thanks.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Working...
                                X