No announcement yet.

Drew's 83 750e project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got a chance to look this old girl over today. The reason for the excess oil behind the stator cover is a leaky petcock. I drained the fuel tank and engine oil today. The oil had a lot of fuel in it. Took the petcock apart and found a porous diaphragm. I did pick up an airbox and boots. Going to do some more digging to see what she needs. I'll pull the valve cover next for a valve check. Might be nice to not need to replace shims. Hopefully, I can re-use the gasket. So far, my parts list only consists of a stator gasket, petcock, and air filter. I promised the wife that I wouldn't spend anything on this bike until I re-do the deck for her, so for now, I'll just keep adding to my list.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

That engine uses screw and locknut to adjust valve clearance - no shims. Valve cover gasket is rubber and normally can be re-used several times. You will probably need to replace it due to the age of the bike, however. I had an 84 GS750EF back in the day, very nice bikes, I loved mine. I recently found a 1984 GS750E (round headlight, no fairing) on Kijiji that I am going to restore over the next couple of years as funds are available. Needs a fair bit of work, but came with a number of extras that will help out.

Cheers!

Jollidude

Comment

Dang! Nice! Would love to find a decent 700E or 750E for anywhere near that price around here.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Well, I finally finished the deck for the wife. Time to start working on this thing. I installed a stator cover gasket and filled the crankcase with some cheap oil to flush out any leftover fuel from the bad petcock diaphragm. Hooked up an auxiliary tank since I haven't addressed the petcock, and she fired right up!

The motor really sounds good. I will be stripping the carbs down for a dip and new o-rings. The carbs are leaking a little at the t's. The PO had drilled out the mains in an attempt to re-jet for the pods. I have a set of stock mains and a stock airbox that will be going on. This is going to be fun!

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Stock airboxes are rare (and hard to fit on that model). You'll need to release the engine mounts to fit it.

When you do the valve check you may find you need new washers to go under the bolts, the gasket is rubber too, you might be lucky....

Check the oil lines carefully when you take the cover off.. Sometimes the banjo bolts holding them on to the valve caps are snapped (and the only source is to find some used ones).

I had some Crush washers turned up to convert M8 External banjos to M10 so you could use standard lines... never got round to testing them. I may have them stashed somewhere, if not I have the drawing.

All I've seen weep a little by now at the rubber to end joints & there is no replacement available.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              All I've seen weep a little by now at the rubber to end joints & there is no replacement available.
              Not sure what you are referring to here. Can you go into a little more detail?

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
                Not sure what you are referring to here. Can you go into a little more detail?
                The oil feed up to the cams is via external oil lines. The lines, on the back side of the engine, have a banjo fitting on the ends crimped to a rubber hose, and the joint between the materials tends to slowly fail.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I see. I'll keep an eye on that. Thanks.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    Stock airboxes are rare (and hard to fit on that model). You'll need to release the engine mounts to fit it.

When you do the valve check you may find you need new washers to go under the bolts, the gasket is rubber too, you might be lucky....
                    The stock airbox I found was in rough shape. Both of the hose nipples were broken off and the seam was open in the back. I was able to get some nylon hose barbs threaded and glued into the holes, and glued up the seam. It came out tight and strong, very happy with it. Getting it in was as difficult as you described. Even releasing the engine mounts barely gained enough room to squeeze it in. It's coming along nicely now, though. Valve checks will come tomorrow.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Running nicely!

Pretty pleased with today's progress. Got the carbs in (they don't leak anymore, yay!). Valve adjustments are done, only a couple of them were a little out of spec. Started up easily, it really runs well! It took throttle well, unlike when the pods were on it. I'll do a vacuum synch tomorrow.

I did have a minor setback. 2 of the 3 signal generator cover bolts snapped, 1 of them was actually already broken before I started. No big deal, I'll get them out tomorrow.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
                        Pretty pleased with today's progress. Got the carbs in (they don't leak anymore, yay!). Valve adjustments are done, only a couple of them were a little out of spec. Started up easily, it really runs well! It took throttle well, unlike when the pods were on it. I'll do a vacuum synch tomorrow.

I did have a minor setback. 2 of the 3 signal generator cover bolts snapped, 1 of them was actually already broken before I started. No big deal, I'll get them out tomorrow.
                        Good news. Congratulations!
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g
                        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Having fun now! Just got back from getting a state inspection (no issues) and short ride. There are a few minor things I want to look at, but then I'll go for a longer ride this afternoon.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Since I was able to sort out my oil pressure light, I went for a good ride this morning. This bike runs & rides great! It's not for me, though. I have bad knees as it is, the riding position is really rough on them. My 850L with the floorboards is much more comfortable, and the style suits me better.

I was tempted to keep this thing, but I'll be sticking to the original plan of flipping it. I'll start working on the cosmetics soon. I do enjoy working on these old machines, and I think I can even make a little money on this one.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Glad to hear it's going well. Those bikes have grown on me quite a lot over the last few years. It looks good as is before cosmetic work, so hopefully it will only get better. With your purchase price it definitely seems you can make a profit.
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I went to tidy up some of the electricals today, since some of the wiring under the left side cover was a little sloppy. I did the charging quick tests, which indicated good charging, but possibly some dirty connections. I knew the bike had a non OEM r/r, but I wasn't sure what it was. After doing some research, I have identified it as one of the 6 wire Honda r/r's like the ones Duaneage used to sell. The sense wire is tied into the ignition wire just under the fusebox. The hot wire from the r/r was going straight to the battery +. I have changed that back to the original red harness wire. The ground wire from the r/r was also going straight to the battery -. I am making an SPG grounding point. If this bike was going to be a keeper, I would get an SH775. But since the bike is charging well, this is what will stay in it.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Working...
                                X