Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New from the Netherlands

Just recently found you guys.
    My name is Marc and I'm electric Engineer (on new built ships). I own a 1978 GS550 which I bought in 2012 as a restauration project.
    It has been completely stripped and rebuilt from the cranskshaft upwards.
    Took me a year to finish. Had lots of fun, repairing, finding parts, rebuilding etc.

Since finishing the bike I drove already 11.000km. I think this illustrates the fun it is to ride. Whereever I stop I get lots of attention

For the full photoshoot look: http://s72.photobucket.com/user/f2ri...w/GS550?sort=3

Untill now there are 482 photo's online. From the smallest detail till the complete bike.

This is where I ended.

If you have questions, please let me know.

Best regards, Marc
    Last edited by Guest; 12-20-2016, 03:16 PM.

That looks better then new. Congratulations, great job.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I won't ask if it's any good at going up hills Marc....

Looks great - good job.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Welcome to the site, Marc.
        Your resto is beautiful.
        The dual disc looks much better than the single that we got here.
        I suspect it works better as well.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Nice.

Welcome to GSR.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome Mark...From the Netherlands!

Beautiful restoration and great color! I enjoy backdrop scenery of Europe so keep the pics coming. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Marc, fantastic job, bike looks really good.

I had the same bike in blue with twin discs up front, bought brand new in 1978, lovely bike.
              It was my first 4 cylinder Suzuki, but sold it too soon to buy the GS1000 a few months later.

I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I found a nice one here in Canada, but just don't seem to have them or no good ones for sale that I've seen.

I'm pretty sure the single disc wire wheel model would perform/handle better but the twin disc with Alloy wheels looked the part and was so cool at the time.

Thanks for posting.

David.
              2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
              2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
              1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
              2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
              1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
              1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
              1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
              Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Thanks guys,

New pics will follow as I'm driving this bike on many (summer) occasions.

I do a lot of biking anyway. To work and back is already 30.000km a year. That's besides all the funn rides during the weekend.
                I work in the city of Rotterdam and there is only one way to get there quick: motorbike.
                During the winter I use my GS500. Bought in 2007, it was standing at a car dealer for 7 years. It had done only 5344km. So almost new.
                I had to replace everyting rubber, because everything was dried out. At the moment the tacho is showing 150.000km! As a descendant of the old GS series it is still going strong. I plan to get it to 200.000km and see from there

In the summer I also drive my bandit 1250. Which is also a joy to ride. Lot's of torque! It gives me the speed I'm missing with the little GS500.

Inbetween is the GS550 which also offers lots of grunt down low. It is a real joy drivng slow and enjoying the ride.

I'm sorry to say we don't have much mountains down here, but do have lot's of twisty roads! A joy to ride. I will post some more pics when the winter is over and the GS550 is waked up from winter hibernation.

Best regards Marc

Comment

Working...
                X