No announcement yet.

trouble with starting the gas gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double check your cam timing too. For a year my bike was hard starting (would spin forever but not want to fire) and after doing a valve check I discovered my cam timing (unicam) was retarded 1 tooth from TDC. It is easy to do on the unicam stuff cause you think you got it then you release the tentioner and it loads the cam chain and you find out if you picked the right tooth.
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

so an update:

because of working days-nights-days and going to different places on training detachments getting the squadron ready to go on deployment, I haven't touched it at all until this last week. so I ordered the manual cam tensioner as suggested by gasgasriders.org and thumpertalk and no improvement on the starting speed. so now I need to look into the starter, probably bad brushes. evidently the Honda hornet 600 brushes are the same part, so that will make getting them that much easier.

however, I did notice one thing that made me stop. the battery terminal connections, both positive and negative, get hot when I was trying to get this thing to start after installing the manual tensioner to get it adjusted. I don't think it's a corrosion issue, since I went through almost EVERY connection in the starting system, to include the main ground on the engine case. about the only corrosion I found is on the outside of the positive cable terminal where the cable terminal mates to the cable itself, but the wire isn't green, which is making me kinda rule it out, but not completely. and it looks like the cable terminals are made from steel, since the corrosion on the positive cable is rust.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2017, 03:53 PM.

Comment

with some cautious optimism

i think i have this thing fixed!

so after some metering to see if i could find some voltage drops, i decided to yank the starter since i ordered some new brushes. i got it yanked apart, and man that thing was flippin gnarly! so i got the brush plate off, and of course i ordered the wrong brushes. so i decided to see how the brushes contacted the main motor, and there was still quite a bit of contact tension, so i decided to scrub the motor contact area and the brushes after cleaning all the nasty crud out of it. tossed it back in and there was still a slow crank. so i decided to say what the hell and tossed the charger back on it for about 7ish or so minutes. boy golly did it crank like it was supposed to. after i got it to fire off, i took the charger off and shut it down and it cranked right back up. so now i've got it back on the charger on the 2 amp cycle, and will try again after i get home tomorrow just to double verify that all the starter needed was a good cleaning. and what's a thread without some pretty pretty pitchers?

Comment

Working...
        X