New from west Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New from west Michigan

Hello all GS newb checking in here. I found this place looking for info on a GS1000 that I have had for 12 years just sitting in my garage, back story on that in a few.

A little about me, I live and grew up in Michigan. After high school I got a job working on big trucks, Freightliners, Kenworths, etc. I did that for about 15 years and now work for a large truck transmission manufacturer providing tech support to north American dealers for our product.

Current and passed bikes
    - 2014 BMW S1000R, this thing bends time and space. (this is my current ride)
    - 2009 Buell 1125CR, don't go too far from home on one of these, also you should have plenty of patience to own one. (sold)
    - 2007 Triumph Speed Triple, was a fun bike but it spit a connecting rode through the block at 1800 miles and was never right afterword (sold)
    - 2000 Kawasaki KX250, I love getting hurt in the dirt (stolen)
    - 1998 Kawasaki KX250 (sold)
    - 1992 Kawasaki KDX250 (sitting in my garage)
    - 1988 ish Kawasaki 100 enduro of some sort
    - 1974 Kawasaki KD125

Now, about the GS. My father picked this bike up in 1992 (I was 8), the guys he bought it from "rebuilt" the engine and couldn't get it running right after they put it back together. I remember my dad pulling it into the garage and pulling the carbs off first thing only to find a shop rag sucked into cylinder 2 behind the carb, I remember this because the header pipe on that cylinder is still a darker blue than the rest. From 1992 to 1996 he rode it with no real issues. In 1996 he became ill and could not ride any more so the bike sat in his garage, in 2004 he passed away from he illness. After his passing I took the bike and it has been sitting in my garage 100% untouched since it was last ridden in 96.

i'm basically here today because I think its time this old beast gets put back on the road and the search for parts and advise commences!

I don't have any photos of it at this point but I'm sure I will be updating the post with them at some point

Thanks for reading.

-Josh

Welcome to the GSR!

Looks like you know your way around motorcycles. Looking forward to the resurrection thread.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Welcome! We seem to have allot of folks from Michigan here.

I may have to look some of you guys up when I go back there this summer...
      1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by ohsoslow View Post
        Hello all GS newb checking in here. I found this place looking for info on a GS1000 that I have had for 12 years just sitting in my garage, back story on that in a few.

A little about me, I live and grew up in Michigan. After high school I got a job working on big trucks, Freightliners, Kenworths, etc. I did that for about 15 years and now work for a large truck transmission manufacturer providing tech support to north American dealers for our product.

Current and passed bikes
        - 2014 BMW S1000R, this thing bends time and space. (this is my current ride)
        - 2009 Buell 1125CR, don't go too far from home on one of these, also you should have plenty of patience to own one. (sold)
        - 2007 Triumph Speed Triple, was a fun bike but it spit a connecting rode through the block at 1800 miles and was never right afterword (sold)
        - 2000 Kawasaki KX250, I love getting hurt in the dirt (stolen)
        - 1998 Kawasaki KX250 (sold)
        - 1992 Kawasaki KDX250 (sitting in my garage)
        - 1988 ish Kawasaki 100 enduro of some sort
        - 1974 Kawasaki KD125

Now, about the GS. My father picked this bike up in 1992 (I was 8), the guys he bought it from "rebuilt" the engine and couldn't get it running right after they put it back together. I remember my dad pulling it into the garage and pulling the carbs off first thing only to find a shop rag sucked into cylinder 2 behind the carb, I remember this because the header pipe on that cylinder is still a darker blue than the rest. From 1992 to 1996 he rode it with no real issues. In 1996 he became ill and could not ride any more so the bike sat in his garage, in 2004 he passed away from he illness. After his passing I took the bike and it has been sitting in my garage 100% untouched since it was last ridden in 96.

i'm basically here today because I think its time this old beast gets put back on the road and the search for parts and advise commences!

I don't have any photos of it at this point but I'm sure I will be updating the post with them at some point

Thanks for reading.

-Josh
        dounds like a great reason to be here Josh, I have a BMW too and I got to take home your bike for a couple of days while mine was being serviced. Crazy fast bike!
        Cheers
        No signature

Comment

wherabouts in w. mich? a few of us on here...
          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Thanks for the welcome all

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
            wherabouts in w. mich? a few of us on here...
            I'm in the Kalamazoo area.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome all

Welcome to GSR!
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Welcome to GSR.

I am near Grand Haven.

Search for Bass Cliff Bike Cliff, you will find manauls and lots of tutorial that many of us here made and Bass Cliff put on a web site.
                One is about what to do for a bike that has sat for long time.
                Do find that info. (I will look for link a little later.)
                When you get to working on the bike, do post individual situations in the appropriate section of the forum. Lots of folks here willing to help, and most of them do know what they are talking about.

I too have a BMW (1150RT, although is at my daughters in San Diego).

I see that Greg has chimed in. Am thinking of another west Michigan GSRer, in New Buffalo.

Yah, do post pics. (best to host them on Photobucket or other service. then copy the IMG code into the posting.)

Do tell us more of your adventure with the GS1000.
                Seems like it can be something as a tribute to your dad.

WHat year?
                Is it a G (shaft drive)?

Last edited by Redman; 12-27-2016, 05:01 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

BassCliff BikeCliff

Also, another fine GSR member's site you will want for rebuilding carbs and for intake o-rings

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Best of luck with the GS1000, classic bikes that can go on and on and on…
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Welcome Josh,
                      Sounds like a potentially emotional walk down memory lane may happen as you ressurect the GS.
                      Sorry to hear about your father, even if it is years later. I went thru a similar situation around the same time with my father.
                      Anyway, welcome and enjoy.
                      Last edited by dorkburger; 12-27-2016, 10:53 PM.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Welcome to GSR.
                        1978 GS1000E
                        1980 GS1000S (Wes Cooley Replica)
                        1981 GS1100E
                        1982 GS1100E
                        1982 GS1000SZ
                        1983 GS1100ED
                        1983 GS1100ESD
                        1978 Honda CB750K
                        1981 Honda CB900F

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                          BassCliff BikeCliff

Also, another fine GSR member's site you will want for rebuilding carbs and for intake o-rings

Thanks for the links i will check them out!

To the comments about it be a tribute to my dad, that is the thought i have for it! Im still working out idea for how i want to go forward with it, looking at pics of other builds and getting ideas on part prices.

I have always thought that it was a 79 but the more i read the more i figured it it a 78, a quick look at the VIN tag this morning confirms, manufacture date 02/78.

on to the pics

Last edited by Guest; 12-28-2016, 11:36 AM.

Comment

The indents on the tank and tail are '78 only. If the tank is solid, you're golden, if its a leaker, they can be tough to find.
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

...................... a quick look at the VIN tag this morning confirms, manufacture date 02/78.
                              If you see am manufacture date, you must be looking at the foil tag. THe real answer to the model year is encoded in the model.
                              If it is GS1000EB that is a 77 (E being the model, the B being 77 model year), GS1000EC that is a 78, GS1000EN is a 79.

I would think that that restoring it to how he had it would be the best tribute.
                              Hacking it into something that would appeal to a kid today, would be, well, hacking it into something that would appeal to some kid today. But that is my thought based on my opinion.

SOmone with more expereince with 78/79 would have to say, but I suspect that isnt stock striping. And I dont know if the base paint is a stock color either. SO, maybe might be a factor to know if your dad had it painted/striped that way, or if it was that way when he got it.
                              ANd someone with more experience with 78/79 could verify that those appear to be some custom bars.

Also, FYI: THe indentend tank like that is a sought after rarity. ANd having that indent painted white is indicative of that rarity. (and if black tank with white stripe in the indent is often called a "skunk".)
                              Last edited by Redman; 12-28-2016, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X