X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of the paint....
    Was that your dads tool box also....?
    Appears to be same color as bike.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Redman,

I dont plan to hack it up so no worries there. I want to keep it stock (ish) just refine it a bit. things like different chain guard, maybe handle bars, turn signals, go with pod style carbs. I plan to keep the stock style suspension (not going to swap a GSXR front or any inverted fork front). I would like to do something different with the brakes, i have never personally operated a GS from this era but i have ridden CB Hondas and Kawasakis from that time frame and the brakes leave A LOT to be desired.

The more i search on this bike, the more i think it has to be an aftermarket paint job, i have yet to see one with the same stripes and that color of blue....hmmmm. i know my dad didn't do anything to the bike other than a stator replacement and regular maintenance on it

You mention the white paint with the indented tank is rare, the stripes on this are actually gray/silver, not sure if that means anything other than it is likely not the stock paint.

On the tool box, that is mine, bought it new when i was wrenching. The though of selling it and my tools makes me sick so it sits in my garage.

Unfortunately the tank isn't looking too good, i'm probably going to give the old vinegar treatment and hope for the best.

Comment

Glad you're talking about the brakes 'cause I only see one disc.
        Maybe somebody will chime in about a 2 disc upgrade, without losing the wire wheels.
        BiL
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Skunk!!!

Welcome Josh,

I've only seen one other GS1000 with a single front disk brake/spoke wheels and I want to say Redman helped ID it. In any case, I've done a Master Cylinder rebuild on my single disk "T" and put a braided line and have not had issues with my 750. The 1982 model I have came with a drum rear brake and that also has not given me any grief.

My "T" seat doesn't lock tight like the "L" seat that came with the bike when I bought it. Your seat reminds me of mine because it's not sitting on there tightly. The side covers are not present and we can see the exposed compartment where the R/R is located. (Hint: posplyr may say something about that )

Rear chain/sprocket looks pretty rusty, time for 530 conversion and Z1 purchase...the stickers are still on the chain guard so that may be the original paint. Those bars look like they belong on an "L" model. You've got a 4 in 1 exhaust and I'm digging that.

Lots to do so keep us posted on the work being done. It's great that you are resurrecting this bike that belonged to your dad.

Ed
          Last edited by GSXR7ED; 12-29-2016, 11:01 AM.
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

For the seat cover.. it will likely split after a year or so as the vinyl gets brittle over the years. I bought a new seat cover for my 850 from Pitreplica in Thailand. they make vintage seat covers and if they don't have one for your bike all you do is send yours in and they will copy it, keep the template and send you yours for free. Complete with all the piping, lock grommets and Suzuki embossing if it is on there. Cost me something like $79 including shipping. A big WOW when I installed it. To have one made here would be in the $ 4-500 range. Just google Pitreplica and peruse their catalog. Good luck with the bike and the restoration. It looks in a lot better shape than mine did when I first started. Some Tom cat had been using it as a ****ing station for 20 years.

Comment

Working...
            X