Clutch slippage on hard acceleration on my GS1100g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch slippage on hard acceleration on my GS1100g

I noticed this slippage somewhat consistently on my trip back to Ontario Canada last summer when I was passing someone in hard acceleration. Usually in shifting back into high gear. When I got closer to California it became easier to cause it to slip. I've read here before that the clutch springs are probably weak and I think I should plan changing them out before heading out for this (2017) years adventure. The bike has 63k miles on it and I put 20k myself. I thought I'd have springs and gasket on hand when I open it up. I haven't read up on the procedure yet but was hoping for a few words of advice/ recommendation before I get going on this procedure. I'll check the clutch plates with a micrometer when I get it open and see if they are within spec. I've never pulled apart and reassembled a clutch before. Thanks for any advice you may offer. Charlie G
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

If it were me, I'd just buy new plates and springs instead of measuring the old ones. Also, don't buy the "heavy duty" springs... they can really make it hard to squeeze the clutch.
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Usually it's just the springs. If you open up the clutch, then just replace the springs as normal maintenance. They cheap and will sag over time. As recommended above, don't replace them with HD springs. Waste of money and much more problematic over OEM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Typically, replacing the fatigued clutch springs is the place to start.
        More often than not, changing the springs will cure the slippage.

Comment

Easy quick job. At your mileage check the friction discs. This can also be caused by using car oil with additives.
          I replaced my springs with moderate (10%) heaver springs. It was harder to pull the clutch in, but got easier again soon enough. No problem after a couple thousand miles.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

When you're taking off the bolts that hold the springs on make sure you take them off a bit each at a time until they are all loose, don't just loosen one of completely then move to the next. Do the same when you are putting them back on as well. You'll need the large socket for the clutch bolt. Some people also take the opportunity to replace the clutch hub bolt and fastener tab, although all of mine are still the stock ones that came with the bike.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
              When you're taking off the bolts that hold the springs on make sure you take them off a bit each at a time until they are all loose, don't just loosen one of completely then move to the next. Do the same when you are putting them back on as well. You'll need the large socket for the clutch bolt. Some people also take the opportunity to replace the clutch hub bolt and fastener tab, although all of mine are still the stock ones that came with the bike.
              Thanks for the advice on the sequential r & r. It was a piece of cake!
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                Thanks for the advice on the sequential r & r. It was a piece of cake!
                We're the plates ok?
                Alan

sigpic
                Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

They were fine.
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g

Comment

When I put the 750 back on the road it did exactly what you're talking about I just went ahead and bought an EBC stock replacement clutch kit and problem solved. It came with the fiber plates and new springs. It's a job that if you're going keep the bike and ride it you're going to have to once at some point anyway, might as well do it now.
                    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Charlie, did you end up replacing just the springs? Or the fibre plates too?
                      '83 GS650G
                      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Just the springs.
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g

Comment

On my 850 I had already replaced the springs but it still slipped over 6k. Replaced the fibers and all is well. The measured well within specs, PO might have used wrong oil, or the couple times I left the petcock on Prime and filled the crankcase with gas may have contributed. I used OEM fibers from Ebay
                          sigpic
                          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                          1983 GS1100e
                          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                          1980 GS1260
                          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                            On my 850 I had already replaced the springs but it still slipped over 6k. Replaced the fibers and all is well. The measured well within specs, PO might have used wrong oil, or the couple times I left the petcock on Prime and filled the crankcase with gas may have contributed. I used OEM fibers from Ebay
                            I've been experiencing something similar with the 650G, especially after hard riding sessions. I thought it was a clutch cable adjustment problem for a long time, but have finally resigned myself to the idea that it is time to replace the fibres.
                            '83 GS650G
                            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                            X