Rust out with electricity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust out with electricity

So I read somewhere about using electrolysis to remove rust from tanks, or any thing for that matter. Tried it on my 650's rather rusty tank. Works rather well I must say.

On another topic does anyone know where a guy can get a new gasket for the cap?

Chris

How do you do that?

Comment

google "electrolysis"..............

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        google "electrolysis"..............
        Great for removing unwanted facial hair too, apparently.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

FR8Y8EYGALHA7B7_MEDIUM.jpg Here is how you do it. Just add about a tablespoon of industrial backing soda and a battery charger, fill with water. I used a piece of scrap steel and bent it to clear the inside walls of the tank, insulated it from the tank and applied the charger and juice.

V
          Last edited by gustovh; 01-02-2017, 11:21 AM.
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

For the gasket: http://www.realgaskets.com/files/fuel-cap-gasket.html
            sigpic
            09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
            1983 GS1100e
            82\83 1100e Frankenbike
            1980 GS1260
            Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Man them were some filthy carbs. Guess that is what happens when they sit for 10 years. Did you know gas turns green after a while.

Chris

Comment

To get the rust out of the tank I used a product called Evaporust. It takes a while but I poured a gallon in the tank swished it around for a few days every few hours drained it, rinsed it out with water, wrung a sheet up and fed it into the tank, and blew it out with a compressor. Tank came out clean as a whistle. Evaporust only attacks the rust through a process called chelation. Afterwards I strained it through a coffee filter as it can be re used. For rusty bolts I just dip them into a container and next morning the rust is gone. To do the carbs up I would find someone that has a sonic cleaner. A small one will run about $150 Cdn. I bought mine a few years ago and have done carbs on several bikes. It paid for itself the first year. I first used the dip carb cleaner but it is nasty stuff. When I used the sonic cleaner I could not believe the crap that came out even after they had been dipped. If you were close by I would say come on over and spend an afternoon.....

Comment

Been using electrolysis for years, it works fine.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I recommend either Evapo-Rust or electrolysis. I've used both with extremely satisfactory results. I only use Evapo-Rust on my small gun parts & such, electrolysis on bigger stuff. I'm not opposed to a tumbler if the parts are suitable.

Comment

Been wanting to try one of those tanks so I probably would have taken you up on your offer thanks.

Chris

Comment

She is alive!!! Not anywhere near road worthy but alive. Gonna need to put sealer in the tank. Pin hole in the top of it. I figured it would be the bottom seems that leaked. Tabs expired in '96 on the poor girl. She sounds happy to be going again....4 bangers rev a lot faster than the thumpers I am use to. ��

Best tank creamer kit/one you have had good long term results?
                        Last edited by Guest; 01-12-2017, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Use Red-Kote, you won't be sorry.

Comment

Once the sealer is in the tank, how long do I wait to take out the petcock bolts? Wait till the sealer sets up all the way?

Comment

I take off the petcock and gas cap and seal those holes with duct tape. After getting the Red-Kote fully applied I pull the tapes off and stand the tank on end so no pooling occurs near an opening. Stuff smells pretty strong, which helps, as it's done when the odor is gone. I leave them sit overnight anyway. Red Coat sticks to everything, coats a nice thick film, and is tough like a basketball. Once it's done I swear you don't need the tank's metal at all. It will also flood over and seal old stuff that you maybe couldn't get out, unless there's too much of it. I have never seen Red-Kote leak or come loose. Pour a small puddle on a board or something at let it set up. Then try to destroy it. With anything. Well, fire might work.

Comment

Working...
                              X