Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS550 - Europe 2 - (Herbs next adventure)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 - Europe 2 - (Herbs next adventure)

Just making plans for the next trip. It will be around Europe again. (Really wanna do the USA
    but cant get my bike there cheaply - perhaps next year or november.)
    I did manage a trip last year covering 4800 miles (6 weeks) and it was only possible with
    the people from this site as the issues i had en route were almost overwhelming.
    Didn't stop me though.
    I am to be honest just checking all will be available from Spring !!!!! for mechanical assistance....

The overview of what i did is in this post: (Madly in the electronics forum but i didn't know about this one then)
    :::::

Plan:
    France, (Somme, WW1 areas, Waterloo), Holland, Amsterdam, Though Germany and France towards Italy and down
    to Croatia. Back around Italy and back possibly via Barcelona - Santander. Probably about 2 - 3 months of
    touring due to the mass of interesting locations.

The GS 550 (Herbs) is undergoing some work but more cosmetic and basic mechanical checks in readiness.
    Just stripped the black paint off the forks and polished up the alloy back to standard.

So just checking the team is ready .........
    UKJULES
    ---------------------------------
    Owner of following bikes:
    1980 Suzuki GS550ET
    1977 Yamaha RD 250D
    1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
    1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

You sure are adventurous. Good luck to you!

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Have you done the R/R mod? if not do it anyway.
      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

R/R mod ? Is this reg / rectifier ? (If so i have the one which has a sense wire that must be attached to a wire - i have done this
        and it worked for the entirety of the last tour - there were no electrical issues - just hat vacuum pipe issue that threw me (us)
        I also have a standard one i bought when i thought my bike was blowing bulbs etc due to this.
        BUT it is ok now.

Only modifications currently are:

-Black scratched / marked fork legs - back to polished and lacquered aluminum - Completed and now perfect
        -New metal chrome front mudguard (This is rigid unlike my old plastic one that had no strengthening bits)
        -Tyres to all tubeless - Ill risk it and take some tubeless slime this time (I am yet to ever remove a tyre with a tube although know how too now)
        -Rear shocks - Will get some new hagons - the cheapo ebay ones i got were way to hard ? think they were faulty - sent back.
        (Madly i still have the shocks on that broke - i think in Zurich ! they seem fine with no load)
        -Electrics checked over and new jap style connections put on where necessary)

A new gps holder for the handlebars that can easily be removed. (This allows better free riding when camped up. Allows to know where i am and not
        have the cumbersome tank bag on. Ideal for burning around the somme battlefield on an eve....)

I had no cover whatsoever last time - no AA !
        Might not bother again as i wont leave the bike under any circumstances so it stays with me.
        Is there a cheap option though ?

As for kit to take - it will be exactly the same as last time. I had everything i needed and could have easily
        carried on around the world if money was not important.

Writing this i can barely wait to get going ! If it was warmer nothing would stop me.
        P.S I can only do this as i lost my job ! oh and had to sell my house ! Trust me i might sound great but
        A seismic shift has caused this to happen.

Excellent that the team is on hand again !
        UKJULES
        1980 Suzuki GS550ET
        1977 Yamaha RD 250D
        1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
        1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Not long for you and herbs to start the 2nd epic journey !. The weather is on the change for the better, good luck on the trip Jules.
          My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by ukjules View Post
            Plan:
            France, (Somme, WW1 areas, Waterloo), Holland, Amsterdam, Though Germany and France towards Italy and down
            to Croatia. Back around Italy and back possibly via Barcelona - Santander. Probably about 2 - 3 months of
            touring due to the mass of interesting locations.

So just checking the team is ready .........
            I've heard a lot of good things about Croatia, a friend from Australia has relatives there and she was showing me pictures of the coast, really beautiful. Please, let us know how it went.

Comment

Just checking the team is still about for the next adventure. UK - Croatia / Italy

Valve clearances set, new chrome mudguard, front forks stripped of the black paint and back to polished aluminum ,
              rear shocks sorts (my gsx had identical hagons and used one of those from spares), new standard seat - might use that or
              the other giuliare .....one, elec ignition working fine (still the original after the incredible firing on 3 issue last year)

My only concern is i am still not carrying motion pro tyre levers and will rely entirely on slime
              to get me to a garage. (i am running tubed tyres)

Hope to leave early to mid may.

Croatia and Italy is the goal but via which route.
              Thinking of going to Santander first and see Merida again (as the weather is good there too)
              then onwards OR via Cherbourg - Somme then onwards.

herbs 2017.jpg
              UKJULES
              1980 Suzuki GS550ET
              1977 Yamaha RD 250D
              1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
              1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Have a good trip! ( but does "slime" work in tubed tires? oh well, I am just thinking you could use the space for something else, if it's not going to work in the event)

MIGHT be best to join the Automobile Association...Here, they will carry your motorcycle up to 60 miles without charge and that could get you to a town to fix.

Comment

Yes slime works specifically for tubes tyres.
                  A small can .
                  Last trip I didn't join AA as so expensive.

Currently have issue as need to find a petrol tap
                  for my bike with a prime option.
                  Mine only has on and Res.

If sat for ages mine won't start but would if
                  I could prime it. This becomes an issue in the deserts
                  of Spain ....
                  Agree AA would sort but I prefer self sufficiency .
                  UKJULES
                  1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                  1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                  1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                  1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

original petcock ? or some other vacuum petcock? With either, You could maybe get a syringe (at pharmacies or a larger one from pet store for giving pets their dose) and use it with a tube to suck open the vacuum diaphragm...bit of fingering around to take the proper tube off and on or put a "T" in the vacuum line...?

Comment

Original petcock - the one with only off and Res ,no prime.

I do like the idea of the t bar on vacuum tube.
                      Another great option. Wonder how much suction and for how
                      Long would be needed . I might even test this theory ..

But the ideal is a tap with prime with the nozzles pointing
                      forward as there is no room for different taps.
                      UKJULES
                      1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                      1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                      1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                      1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

probably not too long, if your bowls already have some gas in them... The T is only going to work if you have a valve that closes suction at the manifold side when using..... if you left the syringe attached to a hose,.I think it might work as an air plug. And kind of a statement to get your bike going with a syringe in the morning... but I'm sure a fertile mind can spawn plenty of fixes...I would want to keep the vacuum operation of the petcock in play though, even if it is possible to disassemble the petcock and ...take the little o-ring off the plunger or other things?

I hear you on the correct direction of nozzles...it is possible to drill and tap a new nozzle into the generic (wrong) tap. It has been done here by member Argonsagas, I think. Otherwise, Georgefix has a wide selection if you can ever afford the transatlantic postage

SUZUKI - georgefixs Store

Comment

Interesting as I have a tap that is wrong , just needs
                          to point the other way.
                          I'll enquire as I want a proper tap really however
                          it is done.
                          Thanks.
                          I'll also contact about new . Will report
                          UKJULES
                          1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                          1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                          1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                          1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Update:
                            Still not left.
                            Bike now ready bar still not having the perfect rear shocks.
                            They are better but not new ones.
                            If only I was rich I'd just buy some. Money for the
                            open road is more important.
                            Due to an engagement I can't leave now until 25th may.
                            UKJULES
                            1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                            1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                            1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                            1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Working...
                            X