having a stupid clutch issue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

having a stupid clutch issue...

OK, first time posting so bear with me guys lol. I just replaced the clutch plates in my GS550E, and put the bike back together with everything done to spec according to manual.now it does not work....if I kick her down into first with the clutch pulled in it takes off, and the weird part is when I pull the clutch i can see the basket move out, so I know it's right.......I've had it apart 3 times today and i'll be damned if I cant figure it out...please someone throw some wisdom upon me!!
    Last edited by Guest; 01-01-2017, 08:07 PM.

Just a wild guess, but did you install aftermarket "heavy duty" clutch springs?

It's pretty common for these to make the clutch action really heavy and in many cases they won't release all the way. The solution is a fresh set of OEM Suzuki clutch springs.

Also, what brand were the clutch plates, and did you oil them before installation? Results with aftermarket clutch plates have been mixed.

What situation prompted you to change the clutch plates? It's unheard-of for a stock GS clutch to ever actually wear out. It is fairly common for GS clutches to start slipping after 30 years as the springs sag, but the solution is simply new OEM Suzuki clutch springs -- again, do NOT install heavy-duty aftermarket springs. If you slipped the clutch an unconscionable amount, it's possible one or more of the steels could be warped.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by gribstar View Post
      OK, first time posting so bear with me guys lol. I just replaced the clutch plates in my GS550E, and put the bike back together with everything done to spec according to manual.now it does not work....if I kick her down into first with the clutch pulled in it takes off, and the weird part is when I pull the clutch i can see the basket move out, so I know it's right.......I've had it apart 3 times today and i'll be damned if I cant figure it out...please someone throw some wisdom upon me!!
      If you mean the entire basket moves then the nut may be loose. The plates should move, not the basket. Possible explanation was that the basket was not engaged with the pump drive when tightened.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I decided to tear it apart because the clutch was slipping, I found that the driven plates were stuck in grooves they made on the pressure plate. so i cleaned up the grooves just a tad with a file and slapped it all back together. i bought the ebc standard friction disks, and pre oiled everything before reassembly...

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
          If you mean the entire basket moves then the nut may be loose. The plates should move, not the basket. Possible explanation was that the basket was not engaged with the pump drive when tightened.
          I'm sorry, i meant the pressure plate was moving out, not the entire basket.

Comment

I bet you got the arm (where the cable attaches) on the pinion shaft (in the clutch cover) off 1-2 teeth.

Where the wrench is....

Last edited by bonanzadave; 01-02-2017, 11:02 PM.
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

OK, I figured it out....apparently my file job wasn't the greatest....I got another clutch assembly from ebay, and used that basket and pressure plate.Now it works like a charm....I'm never filing anything ever again!!

Comment

Hi.

I have a problem with my clutch, that sound very similar to yours.

I had a slipping clutch on my GS750 78´ so I replaced the clutch plates. But now when I turn the bike on and put in first, the bike takes of with the clutch pulled. So I´m very curios to hear how you solved your problem.

I have reused the old clutch springs, since the after-marked ones I got seemed to long.

Any ideas?

Comment

There is an adjuster on the left side of the engine sprocket cover, the small cover heald on with 3 screws. Remove that cover, under there is a nut and screw. Give plenty slack on the cable adjusters, loosen the nut and with a screwdriver turn clockwise the screw till you feel resistance. Now turn screw anticlockwise quarter to half turn and tighten the nut without the screw turning. Now adjust the cable slack. That adjuster is for the free play on the clutch pushrod. If the clutch still drags you have another issue, possible warped steel clutch disks or friction disk fingers stuck on wear grooves in the basket.hope this info helps.
                  My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Thanks.

I tried what you suggested with no luck. I´m gonna drain the oil and have a look at the plates again. In my manual it says to "tighten the bolts fully" - does that mean that there is no torgue setting for the bolts that holds the clutch springs?

Should I try the aftermarket springs even though my manual recommend a springs length at 40,4mm and the aftermarket is about 44 mm?

Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
                    There is an adjuster on the left side of the engine sprocket cover, the small cover heald on with 3 screws. Remove that cover, under there is a nut and screw. Give plenty slack on the cable adjusters, loosen the nut and with a screwdriver turn clockwise the screw till you feel resistance. Now turn screw anticlockwise quarter to half turn and tighten the nut without the screw turning. Now adjust the cable slack. That adjuster is for the free play on the clutch pushrod. If the clutch still drags you have another issue, possible warped steel clutch disks or friction disk fingers stuck on wear grooves in the basket.hope this info helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosteen View Post
                      Thanks.

I tried what you suggested with no luck. I´m gonna drain the oil and have a look at the plates again. In my manual it says to "tighten the bolts fully" - does that mean that there is no torgue setting for the bolts that holds the clutch springs?

Should I try the aftermarket springs even though my manual recommend a springs length at 40,4mm and the aftermarket is about 44 mm?
                      Tighten the clutch springs bolts fully? Think that is wrong. There is only about 8-9.5 ft/lbs on those springs, they have to be able to move.
                      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                        Tighten the clutch springs bolts fully? Think that is wrong. There is only about 8-9.5 ft/lbs on those springs, they have to be able to move.
                        Yes - I had a suspicion that something was off. But I can´t find a torque index for those bolts anywhere. Any ideas where to look?

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                          The bolts do not move; they hold the springs in place. The torque spec is typical for that size bolt into aluminum. Don't get creative.
                          '82 GS450T

Comment

Do not over torque them or you'll strip them. And make sure you rotate from one bolt to another when either you're loosening or tightening them or they can strip. Also, there's no need to drain your oil to go back into the clutch bracket, just put the bike on it's side stand. More than enough angle for the oil to go to the left side of the engine.
                            Rob
                            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
                              The bolts do not move; they hold the springs in place. The torque spec is typical for that size bolt into aluminum. Don't get creative.
                              How much is that? I´m pretty new to mechanics.

Comment

Working...
                              X