Daily driver??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily driver??

I found a great deal on a running 82 gs750. I would be using it as a daily driver. About 12 miles to and from work. Mostly about 45-60 MPh with a few lights... I have riden a gsxr600 for a while as a daily and liked it... I just wanted to get something a little more user friendly. What do yall think??

I think it'd be a great daily rider, but it may seem a little timid compared to that Gixxer you were riding.
    Welcome to the site.
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
      I think it'd be a great daily rider, but it may seem a little timid compared to that Gixxer you were riding.
      Welcome to the site.
      Believe you me, I'm aware it's much more tame than my 600... and I'm kind of hoping for that. I found myself riding too dangerously... I wasn't afraid but I was pushing the bike too hard for general commuting. Plus my wife didn't like riding on the back and I figured this would be a bit more comfortable

Comment

Much more livable bike, very reliable if general maintenance is taken care of, quite nice two up.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

So it wasn't as I hoped. It was still very nice but had some mild leaks around the head underneath the exhaust manifold. Seat was a little torn, it had a new, yet dead battery... the guy its likely because he hasn't had it running long enough to charge it, I think there still may have been a rectifer issue? Idk, either way. Still looking. And thanks for the input guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Pmhearns View Post
            ................................ Plus my wife didn't like riding on the back and I figured this would be a bit more comfortable
            Yes, it will be more comfortable. Bigger seat and sitting upright with you and her at about same level, and passenger pegs not so high.

About taking wife for ride: Dont say "Oh, wait, I need to adjust the suspension since you are gonna get on." Adjust suspension before she comes out of the house.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

If you need someone to help look let me know....I am right down the road.....I do know of a 93 concours for sale by a friend if you are interested.
              David
              1998 Suzuki Bandit
              1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
              1978 GS1000 - gone
              1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Personally, I like the first gen Connies, but a lot of people here hate their top-heavy nature and subsequent parking lot speed awkwardness.
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

I have my '83 GS850L for much the same reason -
                  The daily commute of 13 miles one way was a PIA when on the Goldwing.
                  The GS850 is much more fun, and cool to ride -
                  I get a lot of people looking to figure out what the bike is..a vintage inline 4 is not a common sight around Milwaukee....
                  Currently in the Stable :
                  2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                  1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                  - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post

I have my '83 GS850L for much the same reason -
                    The daily commute of 13 miles one way was a PIA when on the Goldwing.
                    The GS850 is much more fun, and cool to ride -
                    I get a lot of people looking to figure out what the bike is..a vintage inline 4 is not a common sight around Milwaukee....
                    Haha, I would expect not.
                    Current Bikes:
                    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                      Personally, I like the first gen Connies, but a lot of people here hate their top-heavy nature and subsequent parking lot speed awkwardness.
                      I went back to a GS1000G from the 2005 Concours I bought new. The top heaviness is an issue, but not the deal breaker. I hated the fairing for its style over function. The part that makes it a pain to change the oil and filter does not help with comfort control or performance. It offended me to have to deal with it to do an oil change. The riding position was crap for me. The bars were too far forward. I bought risers for about $85, but they barely moved them back at all. A conversion to tubular bars is a couple hundred, as I recall. The windshield is very noisy with a lot of buffeting. I replaced it with an aftermarket one that address ed that problem, but in the bad rain we toured in, it collected and splashed water on to my helmet / face. The fork was noticeably weak, and you could feel it twist when countersteering on twisty roads. It did handle fairly well, and the rear suspension is way better than the 1000G. It was quite a bit faster than the 1000G, and smoother. It needed a downshift or two for brisk acceleration though, from normal back road speeds. Tha 1000G has better top gear roll on power than the Concours 1000. I've decided I just perfer to tour without a fairing, like I always did as a kid.

If you like a fairing, a Windjammer works better than the fairing on a 1000 Concours, except for maybe at higher speeds.

It should be noted that I avoid interstates, and that my touring is performed at speeds 70 and below. If you like to run the flat and wide at high speeds, the Concours might be for you.
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I was shocked at how well my 77 GS750 worked 2-up. More than enough power for high speed freeway runs and plenty fun on the twisties. Great riding position, easy (if frequent) maintenance. Find a good GS and you'll really enjoy it.
                        Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                        Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Working...
                        X