1977 GS750e project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
    4:30 am, wow. You've got the new bike infatuation I suppose. I had a real hard time relaxing and trying to sleep with thoughts of all the things I needed to do to get my bike on the road. Fortunately that passed, or maybe I ran short on things to worry about, hmmmm.
    The sleepless nights and days filled with motorcycle fantasies will pass enough that you can lead a (mostly) normal life. Now that I have some disposable income to put into the bike I am back to obsessing about it, but it ebbs and flows just like everything in life.

Comment

I'm definitely going to get an order of new o-rings from the forum's favorite place. Maybe some boots too? Mainly because the bike idled higher when it was warmer and I think I read this was common if there was an air leak.

The float bowls never leaked when I rode it, actually no fuel part was leaking. I've scraped old float bowl gaskets before I don't feel like I need to in this situation. Like I said before if I had easy access to harsh, well typical carb chemicals in the U.S. I'd do a complete dip and re-build of the carbs. I never once completely rebuilt the CV carbs on my 2002 bandit, if it set for a month or two I'd just take the carbs off and take all the little pieces in the float bowl, spray, put them back in, put the carbs on and it would always start back up. My rational right now is a running bike is a running bike.

I guess I should of been more clear with my work lifestyle, I work in a bar/restaurant that closes at 2 am, so it's not uncommon for me to be up till 4 am. But, yes since getting this bike indoors has motivated me. I just read Cliff's page and it's reassured me with the things I need to do regarding the airbox and adjusting the valves. I've adjusted SOHC bikes, but never a DOHC, and I have heard guys complaining about the shims, but after reading his file I feel good about doing it right.

The only real pain with this project is access to parts, and having to wait on them, don't take for granted the access you have to old GS parts living in the U.S.

Comment

Keep in mind, that many of us are more than willing to help you find things you may need. The world is a much smaller place than once it was.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
          Keep in mind, that many of us are more than willing to help you find things you may need. The world is a much smaller place than once it was.
          Thanks, I appreciate it.

Comment

I just called the old Swedish guy, Clutch Lever Assembly #'s correlated with him, cost 700 kroner, that's $76, so more than half the price of U.S.

Comment

I found this in a box of parts that came with my 750. It's identical to the perch on my bike, so it should fit yours. Pretty mugly though. The bolts and cable adjuster are rusty. Yours free if you want it. IMG_4128.JPG
              K.

1978 GS750E
              1981 KZ440D

Comment

Originally posted by gwyon View Post
                I found this in a box of parts that came with my 750. It's identical to the perch on my bike, so it should fit yours. Pretty mugly though. The bolts and cable adjuster are rusty. Yours free if you want it. [ATTACH=CONFIG]49181[/ATTACH]
                Looks like the right one, I still have no idea what the perch came off of that is on it. I ordered one here in Sweden already, it was over half as much for one in the U.S., but yes in the future it will be a good idea to figure out how much shipping cost here. I really appreciate your offer, thanks!

Comment

Well, the sun is finally showing it's face here in Sweden, and even though it's still cold for U.S. standards I've been trying to get back into the GS750e and get it out of the basement bike room at our apartment.

Sorry for such a long delay in post, but like most of us I've just been working a lot.

I dropped some serious money yesterday after realizing I had several small holes in my header and exhaust. When the bike was running it was loud, but not so much that would make me think I had holes in the exhaust, it just sounded mean. So, I bought a Vance and Hines complete exhaust, it's basically the only one I can get here.

Also, I ordered new o-rings for the the intake runners, bolts that hold the runners, and new air intake box tubes, the ones that go on the back side of the carbs. I know everyone recommends getting the intake o-rings from a specific place, but time and distance is really constraining me, so I bought OEM o-rings, I'm I going to seriously regret this later?

Also, my battery is completely dead, you can barely see the neutral light. I was kick starting it when I was riding it last and it was very easy to start. If my battery is dead does this make it impossible to get a spark to start the bike? I was spraying starting fluid and getting nothing, the carbs are fine and should really matter with the starting fluid, it just doesn't have any spark. I didn't do the lights off test to see if there is a spark.

I'll get some pictures of all the new stuff when it arrives, I think it's going to a couple of weeks for the exhaust to reach here from the states.

Comment

Welp, got my head lamp on and layed on my side, turns out one of the exhaust screws is broke off in the head but it looks like the break is past the flange if that makes sense. Luckly I bought a "very, very, nice German Impact" according to the old Swedish guy who sales parts to me over the phone.

Got the new clutch cable hooked up and working, finally, after getting a collection of other clutch handles.

Bought a new Gel-battery, the guy at Biltema just said "it's better" and it was only $10 more than a normal battery. Once I get everything together I can test the stator. I got some electric grease from the old Suzuki guy, so I'm waiting for that in the mail with the other parts.

The bike started up with some starting fluid, so I tired putting the air box back on and for all that was in me I could not get the airbox tubes onto the end of the carburetors, it's like once you take them off you can never get them back on? I'm assuming they're so old and not flexible, and if they move a little in a rotating direction they can never align with the carburetors again. Those along with intake runners and O-rings are on their way, including new hardware. It just stinks because if I could get the airbox on I could at least take it out for a ride, it was such a nice day.

Also, I did some serious sanding, priming and painting. I bought a rattle can of the closest thing that looks like the red 77' color. I tried cleaning the engine with some engine cleaner, but the Swedish idea of "harsh" engine cleaner is pretty lame. I'm probably going to get the 77' red reproduction decal kit to make it look as original as possible, and get some side badges since whoever else had this bike just tossed them. It's kind of like the bike was bought brand new, then someone saw a 83' GS1100 and wanted that burgundy color, and they painted the chrome fender that way too. If I can get the engine to clean up, and the new vance and hines pipe should be coming I think I should buy an original chrome fender.

Comment

IMG_1080.jpg So, what do you guys think? It's actually pretty close to the 77' red color. I'm not really a fan, after looking at it I realized that having 78' wheels doesn't really go well together, and the color just makes everything else look dirty.

Comment

here's another photo
                        Attached Files

Comment

here's the infamous exhaust head bolt

I have access to a tap and die set with an easy out so w'll see what happens, my father was really good at taking out broken off bolts at home.
                          Attached Files

Comment

The 77 750 wasnt an E model..it was either 750 or a 750B. Mag rims were on the 78 E model and 77s had spokes. What Im seeing in your pics is a 78E with a 77 gauge cluster or a 77 with 78 mags on it.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

More info...

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Just reading this from the beginning for the first time. Your question from a few pages back about the front calipers. They are from a GS1000.

Comment

Working...
                                X