No announcement yet.

1977 GS750e project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As everyone knows things look better in pictures, however I have been able to get a lot of the orange peal out of the paint with the 800 sand paper, I'm thinking the 1200 with a lot of time will make it look as good as this picture makes it look
    Attached Files

Comment

The rough sponge leaves very visible scratches but taking off the gloss makes it look more correct and appealing, you can see how glossy it is around the edges.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2017, 11:29 AM.

Comment

- I haven't seen/read any need to remove the airbox facing boots, and they're looking correct, same as on my '78 550s. I haven't found them as a separate part, only mounted to an airbox.
        I have taken off and remounted mine as well - without destroying them -, only to discover that it was unnecessary, even though they aren't the most pliable (which is why I took them out to begin with).
        ...but you were going to replace the airbox, or not?

- In case you were aiming for a stock look: While the stock plastic parts on mine a bit dull/aged, they are FAR from looking as anything like the scratched cover...

- Front brake looks like the one on mine, I'm inclined to say they're original stock. The 550 and 750 shared at lot of parts.

- The 750 got dual front brakes starting '78, at least in Europe.

Similar in spirit to what chuck has pointed out; I'll reckon you have a 1978 750E that has been tinkered a bit with.

Out of curiosity, you seem to focus mainly on the looks judging from this thread. Have you done anything (besides cleaning up the wiring) to make sure the bike is healthy, or have established its current condition?
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

I want to keep the airbox

i thought I remember reading to replace those to ensure they properly seal the airbox which they were not doing. I'm assuming this is the same reason you put felt around the side doors on the airbox.

I'm pretty sure it's a Euro 77' as you mentioned the Euro version got duals in 77'

Yeah it does seem that way, but basically I'm waiting on an abundance of parts before the end of the week; electro grease, airbox parts so I can run it, full v&h exhaust, fancy impact, Suzuki shim tool, feeler gauge, etc. for now I'm bidding time with cosmetics.

Ive vey to the realization it's very easy to fantasize about how cool these Suzuki's can look but when it comes down to it I want to do some touring so I need to stop thinking about looks, plus Gothenburg is real hell on chrome and nice paint. Once I get the bike out of the basement it will be outside for the summer, and it rains a lot here.

Comment

Originally posted by jibledso View Post

I'm pretty sure it's a Euro 77' as you mentioned the Euro version got duals in 77'
            You've misread. I said 1978. Nineteen-Seventy-Eight.

Yeah it does seem that way, but basically I'm waiting on an abundance of parts before the end of the week; electro grease, airbox parts so I can run it, full v&h exhaust, fancy impact, Suzuki shim tool, feeler gauge, etc. for now I'm bidding time with cosmetics.
            That's good to hear, looking forward to your progress.
            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here

Comment

Bad News,

I went downstairs to the bike room and the lights won't turn on, but what's funny is the light outside the bike room work. I think the landlord guy maybe got tired of smelling the paint from my project and flipped the switch on the breaker box. I put on my head torch but it felt like working in a cave too much and was difficult to see since it was casting so many shadows. I'm going to talk to the landlord tomorrow and see what's up, but also I'm probably just going to rent a garage space out that is not so near my apartment but at least I'll have a place to do what I want.

I'd planned on getting a lot of cosmetic things done this weekend.....oh well

Comment

You know bulbs can simply burn out.

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                  You know bulbs can simply burn out.
                  There's three rooms in this bike room, everyone has it's own florescent lights, none of them work, nor does the plug in near the door. I haven't talked to the landlord yet, even if it was every single light failing simultaneously I'm not going to pay to replace the bulbs. But really I need to get a legitimate garage, even if it's not right by me.

Still waiting on the parts to come in, Old Man Suzuki said he was waiting on one of the intake tubes to come in. I'd tell him just to ship all the other things but I need that tube to make it run half way decent.

The garage I found is about a 17min bicycle ride from me now, as soon as the parts come in I'll get it running well enough to cover the distance to the new place.
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2017, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Finally, my own private Euro garage

It's about $70 a month but well worth it, things should start to take off this weekend after work. Still haven't gotten the parts for the airbox, but I have plenty of cosmetic and painting to be done.

There's a decent buffing wheel at Biltema (Habor Freight) think I'll go get one now. Maybe even build a small work bench? I'm super happy right now
                    Attached Files

Comment

Well, it's been entirely way too long since I've been on here, I feel kind of embarrassed after seeing people's projects get knocked out in a few months. Regardless this is what's going on now. I was waiting for parts early last summer like shims and air intake boots and O-rings, you know the important stuff. I finally found a great parts supplier in Sweden, problem is he took a month vacation, pretty normal here. So I bought a cheap 1992 Yamaha XTZ 660 Ténéré, think Paris to Dakar style bike. Had some summer fun on that and then it started having its own problems, feel free to look up the "other" projects threads for some advice on that bike. Anyways...

I finally got all the right shims dialed in, got all the parts I needed so now I'm putting it back together while trying to do some lazy sanding and cleaning of the motor, frame, and buffing some chrome. I also located some parts like original turn signals, extra instruments, controls and brackets. I also got a 82 GS850 rear fairing piece out of the deal and since my 750 rear fairing was broke anyways I thought 850/1000 rear fairing looks better and took this project in another direction via the cafe racer which were not the original plans.

Comment

IMG_0372.jpg

The newer rear fairing is slightly larger than the rear frame. I was thinking about attaching it to the original seat pan but that won't works. I've come to realize I'm going to have to make my own seat pan. I'm going to buy a small mig welder next week then I'll have to find a metal sheet. I don't really want to do the hoop or butcher the frame a lot to get a straight line, guess will see what happens. And of course once I decided on a different tail piece I gotta get clip ons and rear sets, but that will be awhile until more money comes in.

Comment

IMG_0386.jpg
                          It would of been better to do a before and after but the front wheel is done, took a lot of steel wool, taping, and painting. I realize now I should of found a charcoal color instead of black but it looks a lot better regardless. I also did some sanding and painting on the forks, not too bad for the lazy way. I also got the 850 master cylinder, I think it's a better design? And it looks cleaner than my 750 master cylinder.

Comment

IMG_0411.JPG

Before

Comment

IMG_0412.JPG

And after

I also bought a new chrome v&h chrome exhaust, so once it's all together it should look nice and shiny.

I've been looking at a lot of pictures of cafe bikes and I feel like the blacked out look is over done even though it looks good. I like the looks of the brat seat but I don't want to do it on this bike even it would probably be easier. The biggest issue I can't decide on is the color. I originally thought 77' red but after lots of pictures of black and red bikes I think it looks generic for rattle can. I'm going in the direction of a dark blue, white, and maybe some red pin stripes but with an egg shell finish. I think the GT's in the 70s had this scheme and the GSX1400 naked bikes in Europe.

Comment

So, was it the landlord shutting down the power at the bike room???
                                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                                X