No announcement yet.

1977 GS750e project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's it for pictures tonight. I'm going to go back down and try and get the rest of the crash bar off, then I'll break out the new multi-meter and see what's reading across the battery. I still need to get some electric grease and go through the wiring. I've been following the other project threads about what to do about wiring so no need to tread more.

Comment

Originally posted by jibledso View Post
      The turn signals are really generic looking, but they work, inspection is a very serious thing here. I'd really like to get some different ones, if not original something small and round.

Jeeze man, is that a license plate or a mud flap? Lol, I can almost see that thing from New Mexico haha.

You were right, that first pic made it look pretty clean. You've certainly got a project on your hands. Are you getting rid of the crash bars, or just cleaning things up? Hopefully the latter.

That G looks normal to me. You'll want to use some weather stripping around the edges of the air box to seal it up.

Have you come acrossed Bikecliff's site yet? http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ It's quite an amazing accumulation of info on these old bikes. I wonder how many of these GS's stay running simply due to basscliff's labor of love in setting up that site, and all of the other folks that have contributed to the info/ tutorials in it.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Yeah, I know what you mean, it looks quite large in the picture. What's great is when I got it registered I didn't go to any place or have to get new tags, I just notified them online that I bought it, and I have insurance that was it, everything was quite cheap, including the bike. I basically paid $700 which is 7,000 kroner SEK.

I just took off the crash bar, it was a real pain getting the last bolt.

Thanks for the link I'll definitely be using it.

Comment

Well it's 4:30am here and I finally got out of the basement, couldn't resist looking inside the carbs and taking pictures

After looking at the inside of the float bowl I'm thinking about not doing much, nor scraping off the gaskets. Ideally I'd want to dip them and clean them as thoroughly as I could, but there is no autozone here, and they really frown on harsh chemicals to the enviroment, so it's going to be a pain to get a hold of some.

Also, the bike ran quite well before it got really cold, very strong, it would do 100mph I'm sure, so why go through all the trouble when the bike can go well? The tee's look to be in good shape too. I do however want to replace the O rings and will be ordering them from the O ring guy here on the forum. I'm open to other suggestions. Here's some more pics of the carbsIMG_1026.jpg

Comment

more carbs for you to look at

IMG_1025.jpgmore carbs for you to look at

Comment

That's it for pictures tonight. I'm going to go back down and try and get the rest of the crash bar off, then I'll break out the new multi-meter and see what's reading across the battery. I still need to get some electric grease and go through the wiring. I've been following the other project threads about what to do about wiring so no need to tread more.
              If you reuse any of the crash bar bolts be cautious, as they may be a bit to long without the crash bars in place and bust/poke a hole in the cases. Thanks for the pictures and welcome!
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

IMG_1024.jpgpretty clean eh?

Comment

IMG_1023.jpgThe only carb that had much residue was number 4, funny enough the plug was kind of blackish looking

Thanks for the advice Charlie, I actually noticed where someone almost drilled into the case when putting in the crash bar. I have no plans on re-installing them.

Comment

Also, the mains are 105

Comment

If you're thinking about major rewiring, here is a link to some color wiring diagrams that one member kindly made and shared.

There is a diagram for the '78 750 which should be the same as your '77 (separate regulator and rectifier, one fuse protecting the whole bike). And there is also a diagram for the 750 that includes lots of wiring mods. I made a new harness for my bike, and I used the coil relay mod and the headlight relay mod, and I think I did the horn relay too. With each relay I included a fuse, so now I have more than one circuit.

If you're thinking about sourcing carb parts, I think Jets R Us is widely respected. If your jets are different than stock, it may be because of the 4 into 1 exhaust. But I know nothing about re-jetting.

Enjoying your thread.
                      K.

1978 GS750E
                      1981 KZ440D

Comment

Yeah, that's a great link. I haven't gotten too much into it yet. Would you recommend taking off the entire harness to check, lube, and change? Or just do it on the bike? I remember the guy I bought it from did something with the rectifier, maybe buy a new one? I'll text and ask him again. I was reading a previous thread where one member said a polaris rectifier worked well but maybe it was for later bikes?

I re-jetted my GSF 1200, but was a very easy kit to put in, it had really nice tapered needles that worked very well. I was going to ask or find a thread about tapered needles if they do exist for the older VM carbs. I'm sure someone else has put a factory replacement K&N filter with a 4-1 so just gotta find that thread and see what works well.

Thanks! I'm enjoying this too, it's great motivation.

Comment

Great refurb project, well documented!
                          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

I'm new to motorcycles, so I don't consider myself experienced enough to recommend anything yet. My main harness was cut up, brittle, and nasty. While I had the tank, seat, carbs, and air box off, I made a new harness right on the bike. I had zero faith in my ability to do it, so I used cheap wire and relays from AutoZone. But it works perfectly, so I'm thinking of doing it over with mil-spec wire, mini relays, and Weather Pack connectors.

The Polaris SH775 is the reg/rec most people use. I've got one on my bike. There is a thread here, somewhere, that will advise you where to find it at the cheapest price. Or you can find used ones on ebay. Beware of imitations though.
                            K.

1978 GS750E
                            1981 KZ440D

Comment

Well it's 4:30am here and I finally got out of the basement, couldn't resist looking inside the carbs and taking pictures

After looking at the inside of the float bowl I'm thinking about not doing much, nor scraping off the gaskets. Ideally I'd want to dip them and clean them as thoroughly as I could, but there is no autozone here, and they really frown on harsh chemicals to the enviroment, so it's going to be a pain to get a hold of some.

Also, the bike ran quite well before it got really cold, very strong, it would do 100mph I'm sure, so why go through all the trouble when the bike can go well? The tee's look to be in good shape too. I do however want to replace the O rings and will be ordering them from the O ring guy here on the forum. I'm open to other suggestions. Here's some more pics of the carbs[ATTACH=CONFIG]49173[/ATTACH]
                              4:30 am, wow. You've got the new bike infatuation I suppose. I had a real hard time relaxing and trying to sleep with thoughts of all the things I needed to do to get my bike on the road. Fortunately that passed, or maybe I ran short on things to worry about, hmmmm.
                              Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A
                              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Carbs look good! I would probably do new bowl gaskets and at least pull some of the o-rings for inspection while you are in there. May be of benefit just to get a look at the condition of things.

Comment

Working...
                                X