No announcement yet.

1977 GS750e project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the 78' darker colors suit the mag wheels better so I'm going to go in that direction.

I know the engine is a 77' but I really never bothered to check the frame number, I do know it says 1977 on the frame.

I guess someone put GS1000 mag wheels on this bike, it's also got a chromed swing arm which is strange, but really doesn't stick out.

I just realized what a dumb mistake I made, I didn't paint the side covers black, maybe that's why it doesn't look so good to me.

Do they still make the "Suzuki Motor Co. LTD" sticker that's under the GS750 badge?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-04-2017, 07:28 AM.

Comment

So, after looking at several pictures of 77' GS750 airbox and not seeing a single picture of any sort of velocity looking stacks on the inside of the airbox I'm starting to wonder if they aren't suppose to be there? I'll have to get some pictures later tonight to see what you guys think. Last night I could not figure out how to take out the air intakes from the airbox to the carb. and one of the main reasons was the velocity looking stacks on the inside of the airbox. There has to be someway they can come apart because if they were one piece they wouldn't fit. I tried twisting them but to no avail.

I've looked at BikeCliff's page about changing the airbox and there really is no explanation on how to take off the snorkels from the airbox, and there were no really good pictures of the inside of the box to see if he has these velocity stack looking things.

I don't see anything that looks like a velocity stack in the air box, wtf?
      Last edited by Guest; 04-04-2017, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Looks like some Japanese guy already did what I want to do to my bike

Comment

So here it is, I'm quite sure they are suppose to be there, but regardless they are a real pain to separate from the air tubes, I can't really tell if they are two separate pieces. Has anyone else had trouble taking them a part? Any tips?
          Attached Files

Comment

They are 1 piece rubber with a molded lip on each side. Some of them have a metal band on the inside. Pull the band out first, then you should be able to squeeze it and separate from the airbox.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
            1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Looks like there's some kind of adhesive holding them in place... I'd just cut them out with a razor (carefully) and buy new boots. When you put the new ones in, just clean up the lip and put them in there. They should seal without and type of chemical sealer.
              sigpic

Check out my rebuild thread here: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...GS-750-Rebuild

Comment

Originally posted by Sam 78 GS750 View Post
                Looks like there's some kind of adhesive holding them in place... I'd just cut them out with a razor (carefully) and buy new boots. When you put the new ones in, just clean up the lip and put them in there. They should seal without and type of chemical sealer.
                Okay, that's what I was wanting know, that they are two pieces, thanks for the info.

Now I'm just waiting on Old Suzuki parts guy here in Sweden, it's probably taking a long time for the Vance and Hines to come from the U.S.

I'm more excited about getting this 2,000 kroner impact so I can start getting bolts off the right way. I'll definitely have pictures of that when it comes in the mail.

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
                  They are 1 piece rubber with a molded lip on each side. Some of them have a metal band on the inside. Pull the band out first, then you should be able to squeeze it and separate from the airbox.
                  Yeah, the metal band was on the outside of the air box on the air tubes going to the carbs, there is no metal band on the inside of the box. I'm going to go down stairs now and try to separate them with a screw driver, or some sharp device.

I'll get a picture of the die set also, see what you guys think of Sweden's version of Harbor Freight tools.

Comment

Well, I think I messed up

IMG_1094.jpg

I was trying to separate the two pieces with a screw driver and it poked a hole where I don't think there should be one, however I don't think it was salvageable anyways, it looks like there was an adhesive used and I guess over the years with heat it melted the two pieces together, perhaps with surgical tools you could somehow separate the two pieces but even that would be difficult.

Comment

Here's a another picture

IMG_1093.jpg

They are "super" stuck together

I guess I should of tried separating the tubes before ordering new intake tubes, maybe I should just get pods? I'm not even sure if I can get a new air box from old man parts guy. Luckily I got experience with pods, jets, and needles so I won't go in completely blind, I'll just have a nice new pair of intake tubes I won't use.

Comment

They are not 2 pieces. Someone just glued them into the airbox.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Okay, I got my bearings straight now, sorry for not noticing your comment jsandidge where you specifically said they are one piece.

The part of the tube on the inside of the box was so hard they were like plastic, I didn't think you could squeeze them through the holes, but anyways I got them out now.

Here's the die set, not too bad for $30, and people say Scandinavia is expensive It is a lot more pricey than Harbor Freight but these look like quality.

I'll tackle the exhaust bolt another night

IMG_1095.jpg

Comment

Went after the head bolt with a dremel tool drill bit and could get enough into it to start an easy out, so I'm going to have to buy a drill this weekend, which should coincide with getting the airbox parts in the mail.

I'm having a bit of a problem deciding appearances on the bike and I'd like anyone's opinion for better or for worse.

I originally wanted to make the bike look original and got what looks to be the closest to a factory red in a rattle can, and the results aren't turning out too bad. Started off sanding the rear tail piece and gas tank with 180 sand paper, sprayed a primer, sanded 180 again, then put a light first coat of the red, sanded 800, and then another light coat of red. I bought some 1200 sand paper and was going to use that when I finish with the coats of red.

The side covers and airbox look like a satin black in most pictures. I bought what I thought was satin black at the auto parts store, but it's just a gloss black, but I used a rough looking scrubby thing that took off the shine and I'm happy with the results.

I got a copper sponge and started cleaning the very dirty wheels, and they look much better but I think in some places the paint is coming off.

What I'd like to know is people's opinions when it comes to black, chrome, and engine color and how they can all mesh to make a good looking bike. The Vance and Hines I'm getting is chromed, I'd like to polish the engine covers, and paint the casings, the wheels I'm put in the air about, it's going to be difficult to just clean them and have them look great, unfortunately it's difficult to get the awesome cleaners here in Sweden, I may very well be looking straight at some but I have no idea what I'm reading. So, I was thinking of possibly painting the entire wheel black, or buy rattle can silver paint and black to go back to looking more original, they do sale silver wheel paint, pictures tell a thousand words to a foreigner.

So, red bike, original looking engine, what should I do with the wheels? Or even would someone suggest finishing the motor off in a satin black to match the black wheels? I no it's a matter of opinion and likes but I keep looking at the bike and beating myself up on what I should do.

Comment

Sorry, the lighting in my garage/bike room is not great but I was trying to get an idea what the wheel looked like.

I gotta get rid of that chrome swing arm
                              Attached Files

Comment

After painting things the seat cover looks awful, I sprayed some seat cleaner just so it would look half way decent for the pictures and get an idea what it will look like once I get a new cover.

The tail piece has two coats of paint and the last thing I did was sand it with 800 sand paper, the gas tank has two coats of paint, haven't sanded yet that's why the tank looks glossier
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X