No announcement yet.

1977 GS750e project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suspected the spring went inside the slide arm, I was just thrown off by the picture of the spring under the needle, thanks for the clear up.

In other news; I bought a VW Passat and changed the rear brakes, I got some cheap calipers and the threads on the bleeder nipple are gone after trying to bleed the brakes, so now the car is taking 75% of my garage up and I can't get back to working on the bike until I have enough money to buy genuine VW brakes in about two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by jibledso View Post
      I suspected the spring went inside the slide arm, I was just thrown off by the picture of the spring under the needle, thanks for the clear up.

In other news; I bought a VW Passat and changed the rear brakes, I got some cheap calipers and the threads on the bleeder nipple are gone after trying to bleed the brakes, so now the car is taking 75% of my garage up and I can't get back to working on the bike until I have enough money to buy genuine VW brakes in about two weeks.
      That's a bummer about the bleeder nipple. I've been waiting for one of these one way valves to arrive in the mail, then I'll do the braided brake lines on the KLR. Last time I bled them I felt it was likely that the threads would strip so hoping to avoid that.

On another note, similar to your garage situation, my son's car is now in my way. It runs but he works nights so mornings before it gets hot is when I really like to work out there and I have to shuffle vehicles around.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Well, a lot has happened since April, the VW was in my garage till July preventing me from getting to the GS project.

The good news is I have a much larger garage with 8 other people, kind of like a co-op garage, it's basically an old warehouse with bays. It's got a bathroom and other comforts my old place didn't have, plus several large benches.

So, I got my carbs put back together with nice new pods.

Then I tried hooking up the battery, not as much luck, I melted the starter button. I know now after reading some old threads that the battery box is not grounded.

My problem is I can't remember exactly how it was rigged up and it's definitely been changed by previous owners. I'm confused about the twin places on the starter relay that have Phillips heads screws and what goes there. I do remember a wire being welded on the relay I think.

Also the yellow/green wire coming from the starter switch is just hanging out near my battery

Also since the previous owner has changed wires up, what exactly is coming and going from the fuse box? All I have is a yellow wire someone taped off with electrical tape.

any tips or suggestions?

Comment

IMG_0567.jpg Yeah my bike is quite rusty like this. The ground for the battery box is a holding screw for the starter relay that i couldn't get out after using an impact.

im seriously thinking of just getting an m-unit instead of fighting ever screw and bolt.

Comment

Finally figured it out; the starter wire was sodered to the starter relay, is this normal? Guess I have to buy a sodering gun now.

so yeah it turned over, sprayed some starter fluid and it definitely was trying to start, there's no gas going to it currently.

on to the turn signal relays

Comment

Yes, this is how they all are as far as I know.
              '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
              '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
              '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
              '79 GS425stock
              PROJECTS:
              '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
              '77 GS550 740cc major mods
              '77 GS400 489cc racer build
              '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Got the bike started tonight but it's pouring oil profusely from the upper left cam cover. When I started it first I didn't realize the cam cover bolts were loose, so I sequence tightened them but it's still pouring oil.

here is a picture of the new garage neighbors

IMG_0574.jpg
                Last edited by Guest; 09-04-2018, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Here's the bike as she stands, waiting for some needle bearings and race for the swing arm so I can put the rear wheel

IMG_0575.jpg

Comment

It's been two long years

Comment

Don't worry she was already warm before I started it

Comment

That last post was forever ago!

It still runs runs and is a little more refined, I replaced the bearings on the swing arm, broke the bleeder screw on the rear caliper then destroyed the threads trying to tap it out, there’s a used caliper in the mail now. I discovered my front right caliper is leaking from the piston area. My kick starter doesn’t won’t engage, and the shifter is not as smooth, for example when you push down into first it just kind of sticks there and doesn’t spring back until you barely tap up on it.

I bought a nice new stator, after hooking it up I realized the previous owner had not connected the rectifier and stator properly. Also, I have no fuses, which I didn’t even think was possible but there’s nothing there. I’ve melted two starter buttons, and think my bike is a very good candidate for an m-unit. The bike looks almost completely stock except the v&h and pods. The original turn signals look great and the new seat cover is very close to OG.

So basically I’m running around trying to put out fires everywhere on the bike, however I do believe I’m going to have some fun riding this Spring, otherwise I’m going to throw it in the river! ��

Sometimes at night I look at classified ads of mid 90s GSX750 Izumas for $1,300 and wonder what in the world I’m doing, then I tell myself I’m going to be much cooler ��

I’ll get more pics and video soon, I’m actually looking forward to the cosmetics now.
                        Last edited by Guest; 01-09-2019, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Got some weird/serious carb blues if you’re curious, it’s in the fuel/carb/exhaust section. I now realize I’ve never had parts that I was suppose to have inside the slide.

Comment

DE71C38C-D6DC-4AA7-8960-2E759206B0EA.jpg

Will these GS850 front calipers fit on my GS750?

Comment

I believe so, but I would strongly advise if you are needing new calipers just go with the twinpot brake mod that is common here, they work SSSOOOOOOO much better. It's incredible. That and I can't stand rebuilding some of the early GS front calipers...
                              you will have to buy a new/used set of rotors, but they weigh less than half of the originals... And Dan aka Salty_Monk's bracket kit
                              '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                              '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                              '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                              '79 GS425stock
                              PROJECTS:
                              '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                              '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                              '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                              '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Yeah, I’ve been reading the threads, they look and sound like they are incredible. The problem is I’m on the cheap right now because I’m in between jobs right now. Employment has not been easy for me in Sweden not having a drivers license until last year and not being fluent in Swedish. This project has been one of the slowest for me. I got too use to having a huge market of used parts and available money for parts in the United States, my hobby time has changed here. Those calipers are actually off the Germany ebay for $40, more people, more parts. Sweden has got some great deals on used motorcycles but the parts market is nothing like living in the United States.

Eventually I’ll do the upgrade when the money flow opens. I really like this bike and have kind of become GS obsessed, when I first started riding 17 years ago I had a few ZX’s and considered myself a Kawasaki guy, but this GS750 has changed me.
                                Last edited by Guest; 01-23-2019, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X