Calling all GS450 tire experts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all GS450 tire experts.

OK. I will just come to the point. I am no tire or wheel expert by any means. I am looking to get tires for both my GS450's.

Bike number one:
    1980 GS450L.
    19" standard front wheel
    18" E Model rear wheel

Bike number two
    1980 GS450E
    18" standard front
    18"standard rear.

The look I am going for is like this.

Any help with tire sizing over what is already on the wheels would be extremely helpful!

Instagram: @Vortexjunkie

Can't help you on options for the L but I have an E with the 18" front and rear. I run Avon Roadriders 90/90-18 front, 100/90-18 rear and am extremely happy with them.

If you're going for the "look" of the tyres in the photo, then sorry can't help there at all. I need my tyres to actually grip the road in wet and dry so I won't compromise tyre performance for appearance... tyres like those are only good for bikes that basically show pony on sunny days only.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Well if you're looking for those Firestones, check this link...

Firestone Deluxe Champion Motorcycle Tires | Firestone Champion Deluxe Like many of the tires we offer, Firestone Deluxe Champion Motorcycle tires serve two purposes. It's an authentic tire for American motorcycle restorations from the 1930s and '40s, and it also appeals to custom motorcycle builders seeking the vintage look. The deep tread and smooth sidewall with raised black Firestone lettering is perfect for many styles of motorcycles, from stock Harley Davidsons to modified Honda, BSA, Triumph and many more! Restored classics, choppers, bobbers, cafe racers and much more. This tire covers it all and is available in seven sizes to fit 16-, 18- and 19-inch wheels. Sometimes called Firestone Champion Deluxe in other parts of the world, these tires are becoming insanely popular with custom bike builders everywhere.

But do your research. I think looks aside those are pretty poor performing tires. Maybe you should stick with real motorcycle street tires and be happier with handling and performance of your GS450.
      I've owned a few GS450's and they are nice handling runabouts with good tires. Again if looks supersedes performance then ignore my thoughts and go with those Firestones.
      Last edited by Guest; 01-08-2017, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
        Well if you're looking for those Firestones, check this link...

Firestone Deluxe Champion Motorcycle Tires | Firestone Champion Deluxe Like many of the tires we offer, Firestone Deluxe Champion Motorcycle tires serve two purposes. It's an authentic tire for American motorcycle restorations from the 1930s and '40s, and it also appeals to custom motorcycle builders seeking the vintage look. The deep tread and smooth sidewall with raised black Firestone lettering is perfect for many styles of motorcycles, from stock Harley Davidsons to modified Honda, BSA, Triumph and many more! Restored classics, choppers, bobbers, cafe racers and much more. This tire covers it all and is available in seven sizes to fit 16-, 18- and 19-inch wheels. Sometimes called Firestone Champion Deluxe in other parts of the world, these tires are becoming insanely popular with custom bike builders everywhere.

But do your research. I think looks aside those are pretty poor performing tires. Maybe you should stick with real motorcycle street tires and be happier with handling and performance of your GS450.
        I've owned a few GS450's and they are nice handling runabouts with good tires. Again if looks supersedes performance then ignore my thoughts and go with those Firestones.
        Originally posted by pete View Post
        Can't help you on options for the L but I have an E with the 18" front and rear. I run Avon Roadriders 90/90-18 front, 100/90-18 rear and am extremely happy with them.

If you're going for the "look" of the tyres in the photo, then sorry can't help there at all. I need my tyres to actually grip the road in wet and dry so I won't compromise tyre performance for appearance... tyres like those are only good for bikes that basically show pony on sunny days only.
        OK. I may need to reword my question.

I am looking for tire sizes that would fit like the ones in the pictures. I prefer a performance driven tire that also has the "meaty" appearance to them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Vortexjunkie View Post
          OK. I may need to reword my question.

I am looking for tire sizes that would fit like the ones in the pictures. I prefer a performance driven tire that also has the "meaty" appearance to them as well.
          The last thing you should be doing is choosing tyres by the way they "look".

Avon Roadriders and Battlax BT45 are just two types that have the correct size / profile tyres for your rims. There are more out there if you look. That is what you want.

Forget about Firestones - they were re-made by Coker for vintage show cars.
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

For my '81 L I currently use Kendra K657 Challenger for the Rear and Shinko 712 up front with the stock wheelset. Pictures in the thread in my signature.
            1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
            1977 GS550
            1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

i have an 82 gs450 that started as an L model. It had a 16" rear and a 19" front. Then I got an E model parts bike with 18s front and rear and now I'm swapping to a 17" rear disk wheel from an 83 GS1100E. I've run shinko 712's on all of em. They are excellent tires at a price that can't be beat. Just look at the reviews. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-712-rear-tire These will give you the meaty look you want. I run my bike fairly hard and have never had issues even in the rain. You can run a 120 on the 18" rear and a 110 width on the fronts.

Comment

Looking at your picture, I'd be concerned they would rub on the swingarm. and-(unasked-for Curmudgeon opinion They don't look that safe as tires either.

Shaun6691, samlee, hillsy and Pete are giving you good advice.

Comment

Working...
                X