relearning drywall finishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

relearning drywall finishing

Got work done and guy said it would only be about 1000 bucks to do the finishing of my drywall.
    Im sure thats the going rate but im cheap and have one a good job on small rooms in the past so I though Id give it a go.

SO far I have 60 dollars invested and things are reay for a final skim coat.
    I have found the mu I bought is a bit too viscous for this. Fine for setting tape in joints but a real devil to get a polished look.

What do you diy guys use. Or pros?

7 hours of work so far.

I wonder can you stil buy 70s style wallboard..........
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Not sure what you mean by 70's style wall board. When I tape and texture I tend to use the premixed all purpose drywall mud for the whole process. If its too thick add a cup or two of water and spin with a paddle. Sounds like your trying to get a slick finish. We usually spray or slap brush texture which hides minor imperfections. Several thin coats are better than fewer thick coats and typically leave less sanding for you.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Here we have taping mud and finishing mud. Finishing mud is a bit harder and smoother, maybe what you are looking for. As someone that has flipped 3 to the studs remodels I don't want to EVER do drywall again. That said, thin coats, smooth with knife, don't sand until after the third coat except to knock off ridges.
      sigpic
      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
      1983 GS1100e
      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
      1980 GS1260
      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Good advice so far, the thinner the better. The mistake most make is using way too much mud.
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I have been frugal with the mud to reduce sanding. Learned that the hard ay years ago.
          I had a bit of alarm as three small bubbles have formed totalling about three inches of tape out of 160.
          Do i just slice these out with a knife and fill the divot?
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

We had a retired plaster guy come in to tape/finish the ceiling in our family room (had the ceiling removed and raised up to the roof). Took him about 8 hours in 3 visits. He didn't even BRING any sandpaper. ZERO and I mean ZERO mess, ZERO dust. Finish was flawless. Charged me $200 and I gave him and extra $100. It would have taken me weeks, would have been dust everywhere and no where near as well done. It's still flawless after 10 years. I can do an acceptable job, but hate to do it and can't do it without making a terrible mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
              I have found the mud I bought is a bit too viscous for this. Fine for setting tape in joints but a real devil to get a polished look.
              Thin it out.

If doing a small area add water to your mud pan. Larger quantities thin the mud in the bucket. Try your best not to entrain air when mixing. Small quantities mix with your 4" knife in the pan and use the appropriate width knife to apply. Larger quantities use a paddle and leave sit for a few hours.

10-12" on the flats, 6' on the inside corners. Finish outside corners with an 8", 10" if absolutely necessary. Most knives crown from use. Put the crown up as it will tend to flatten as you press down to smooth things out. View from the end to see what I mean.

Check the flats with your knife held perpendicular to the wall. That will tell if the joint is high or low. If its high, sand first OR finish on either side of the joint with a 12" if that isn't possible.

This isn't something that can be easily taught via keyboard. YouTube videos??

I have been frugal with the mud to reduce sanding. Learned that the hard ay years ago.
              I had a bit of alarm as three small bubbles have formed totalling about three inches of tape out of 160.
              Hard to say without seeing it. Either lift the edge and apply more mud then wipe out the excess and let dry. Or, cut through to the outside and lift both sections and apply the mud. If you have to, cut the damage out, reapply mud and tape. Finish appropriately after its dry.

Last edited by rustybronco; 01-10-2017, 12:39 PM.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Yes, I'd slice them and skim coat over with 20 minute powdered mud so It doesnt shrink, dries quick, and move on. Are you texturing the area or keeping a slick finish? Most texture will hide minor imperfections. I tend to try to get my taping and finishing perfect then realize after texture you can't see most of that hard work anyway.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

For the last few repairs I've had to do, I've used a "Lightweight Dustless" drywall compound. Very easy to work with, dries fast and strong, and sure enough, when you sand it the particles just drop down and there's no dust. Amazing stuff.

I think it's too expensive to use if you're doing a lot of drywalling, but it's the bee's knees for amateurs making repairs.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I know nothing about drywall
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                      I know nothing about drywall
                      Good move.

If anyone asks, I don't know NUTHIN' 'bout washers, dryers, refrigerators, lawn mowers, snow blowers, weed whackers, or Fords.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        Good move.

If anyone asks, I don't know NUTHIN' 'bout washers, dryers, refrigerators, lawn mowers, snow blowers, weed whackers, or Fords.
                        Me either............
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g
                        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Funny, I tell my wife not to tell acquaintances that I do HVAC work. Family and close friends, no problem, I'll help if I can, otherwise no.

Regarding the topic at hand, I'm a hack. I can get a nice end result, but after much work.... my first go years ago was an abomination and it was in our bedroom at our first house. Laying in bed and looking at the ceiling was a constant ugly reminder- many bubbles in the paper tape joints. After that I used the adhesive backed tape. The last few jobs I went back to paper tape as it was what was in stock at the store. I paid close attention, kept it sufficently moist to stay put, and it worked well.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                          X