Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saddlesore 1000 & Bun Burner California

Whats up guys,

Youtuber Motovlogger here. Find me on Facebook and Youtube.

I've begun planning to complete the Iron Butt Saddlesore 1000 (1000 miles in 24 hours) and the Bun Burner Gold (1500 in 24 hours) all in one ride. My starting point is San Jose, CA in northern California and I've been looking at the map for a doable ride on my 1979 GS1000 Skunk. Ill be documenting the prep, the packing, the mechanical prep on the bike, the camera setups and all.

Possible route int he lead so far:
    San Jose, CA to
    Las Vegas, NV to
    San Diego, CA to
    San Jose, CA

About 150 miles shy of 1500 so I am making some adjustments.

Reasons why I am posting here:
    Hopefully there is someone that might be near my route, to maybe join in, meet at a gas station and so on.
    Hopefully I can get some good tips while mechanically prepping my bike.

Cheers guys and any followers, tips, tricks, or just some good friends saying cheers is always welcome!!
    CafeRob81

Good luck on your quest, but be VERY aware that if you are shooting for a BBG1500, you won't have time for chit-chat at any pumps.

And please tell us more about this " '79" Skunk. It was a one year only bike, but in '78.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sure hope you got your bike running better than how it was in the end of your carb tunning video. I'd say the reason it's not running well is because you have pods and a pipe and have not jetted appropriately to compensate for them. Fiddling with your mixture screws is not going to compensate for those 2 things. Have a look around the website, there's lots of info on proper bike maintenance. Good luck with your ride, when ever you do it. I always wanted to do an ironbutt as well, a friend that has done it says "I'd never do it again", maybe I'll pass....
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Best of luck on your ride! I usually knock down a few 1K mile days in a season. It's easier to do on new aged touring machine... I wouldn't want to attempt on a GS. Bests of luck!
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I have a few Certified Iron Butt rides under my belt..
          But I have been doing them on a Goldwing so it's almost like cheating --

Read about my first one here -->>
          http://neverlost-justexploring.blogs...ter-day-1.html

Being certain your machine is capable is the first thing to do.
          During the ride --
          Staying in the saddle and keep moving is key -
          Be certain to maintain clear records for eventual documentation
          Gas stops are to be kept short -- fuel in - refuse out.
          Eat light - but stop whenever you need to to stretch (quickly)
          Drink fluids -- water -- too much Gatorade can unbalance your electrolytes and cause you to feel poorly too.

Once I get my GS850GL running well this summer I plan on trying a SS1000 -
          Could be a trick as my range is about 125-135 miles per tank so planning and adjusting along the way are going to be exciting.

Good Luck
          Currently in the Stable :
          2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
          1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
          - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

The variable traffic of the metropolitan area you've chosen may create problems, but I wish you well and welcome you to the site. I hope on doing one , but I'll head from my place toward Idaho, Montana & North Dakota! 80 mph speed limit up there !
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
              ... I'll head from my place toward Idaho, Montana & North Dakota! 80 mph speed limit up there !
              Good luck with that concept. Although our bikes do manage some reasonable fuel economy, that will be at more-reasonable road speed.

Actually, even more critical than road speed is WIND speed. We found that a few years ago on the first day of a weekend trip with our Goldwing group. They had made plans to be at a particular restaurant while the 'lunch' prices were still in effect. (They are almost as cheap as GSers.) We got a bit of a late start, so the average road speed was between 70 and 75. Not that bad, but we were also going into a headwind of about 15-20 mph, so the bike thought we were doing about 90. Her bike went on REServe at about 85 miles, instead of the usual 140. Quick calculation at the pump showed about 28 mpg. We were not at the restaurant yet, so we still needed to keep the speed up. We changed direction a bit, so the wind was not quite so head-on and mileage rose to a whopping 30. Later, on that same trip, with no adjustments, our speed was 55-60 through the hills of western Virginia and eastern Kentucky. We had four consecutive tanks well over 50 mpg, with a high of just over 58. Road (wind) speed has a LOT to do with how far you will go on a tank.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Good luck with that concept. Although our bikes do manage some reasonable fuel economy, that will be at more-reasonable road speed.

Actually, even more critical than road speed is WIND speed. We found that a few years ago on the first day of a weekend trip with our Goldwing group. They had made plans to be at a particular restaurant while the 'lunch' prices were still in effect. (They are almost as cheap as GSers.) We got a bit of a late start, so the average road speed was between 70 and 75. Not that bad, but we were also going into a headwind of about 15-20 mph, so the bike thought we were doing about 90. Her bike went on REServe at about 85 miles, instead of the usual 140. Quick calculation at the pump showed about 28 mpg. We were not at the restaurant yet, so we still needed to keep the speed up. We changed direction a bit, so the wind was not quite so head-on and mileage rose to a whopping 30. Later, on that same trip, with no adjustments, our speed was 55-60 through the hills of western Virginia and eastern Kentucky. We had four consecutive tanks well over 50 mpg, with a high of just over 58. Road (wind) speed has a LOT to do with how far you will go on a tank.

You make a good point about fuel economy and the wind. I had som really strong head winds as I headed through the area I mentioned last summer. My tank milage dropped by 30 plus miles a tank, but soon picked up when the wind died down. I would get about 160 plus miles to reserve with average wind.
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Rob, welcome and good luck. I'll be following along.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Sometimes on along trip going slower is faster...
                    By conserving fuel you may take more time to make miles..but eventually the better fuel economy will save you a fuel stop
                    By eliminating the fuel stop you can make up the 'lost time' .
                    I have tried it several times on long trips on my Goldwings and in 600 miles I can nearly make up 20 minutes by stretching fuel stops from 200 miles to 230 per tank. Over 3 stops I get an extra 1/2 tank of fuel to burn before I need to stop allowing me to be farther down the road before stopping.
                    It's also easier on your body to not be fighting the wind, and elements -
                    Having a route avoiding major metro areas will be a great time saver...
                    My first SS1000 was across the plains of Minnesota, and North Dakota into Montana ...flat long no traffic runs...tank to tank to tank
                    Currently in the Stable :
                    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

I have never managed 1500 on any bike, but did get in 1200 on the GK. Once. Never got higher than that on any bike..

Safety will probably be your biggest concern as you have to stay alert for every mile so consider your diet ahead of time and get well-rested before you do it.
                      "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                      Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

It is a 1978. I bought it from Phaseman, and eventually gave it to Rob, my nephew.
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                          It is a 1978. I bought it from Phaseman, and eventually gave it to Rob, my nephew.
                          Ive got another post going on the valves I just did but update is, valves are adjusted, carbs are bench syned, installing duane's RR now and should be running good in a day!

I appreciate all your comments and experiences! Please any tips are open ears and open eyes from my side. Yes, ill plan a few small trips before the big one. One of the smaller trips will be up to Forks of Salmon in northern California. An old spot I camped at for about a month after college when dredging was still legal.

Comment

Good luck Rob, Go for it. Get it running like you want it before you launch.
                            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                            1983 GS 1100 G
                            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                              Good luck Rob, Go for it. Get it running like you want it before you launch.
                              This is the goal! Thus why I have been working on the bike for the last month or so. Just need to figure out the last little bit and I should be good.

For a pre-trip test, I plan to ride up to Forks of Salmon in Northern California. I live in San Jose, CA now so it looks like about a 6-8 hour ride. Should give me some practice on endurance and what to pack.

Comment

Working...
                              X