No announcement yet.

Saddlesore 1000 & Bun Burner California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know there have been at least a few SS1000s on a GS. I can think of two members who have done this, and I'm sure others have done it. Not sure on the 1500, but I'm sure it's do-able.

Distance for the sake of distance is not my personal cup of tea (just think of all those cool twisty roads you're passing...), but good luck and keep us posted!

Get your bike running right and do a couple of 750+ mile days beforehand to get your setup and your rear end fine-tuned. I know with VM carbs, I'd definitely need a reliable throttle lock.

On long trips, I usually carry a spare stator, since it doesn't take up much space and it's the one component that would pretty much keep you in one place. If you have a spare, you could swap it inside an hour and keep going.
    Last edited by bwringer; 02-13-2017, 05:04 PM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks for the tips and words of advice!

Update: Brakes are new, bled, and work great. Got the new main jets in the carbs, valves adjusted, need to fine tune the carbs but first I found out my electronic ignition took a crap. I have a Martek 440 and the plastic rotor got all chewed up so the contacts aren't running correctly and the bike runs off two cylinders. Ill buy the ignition and re-adjust the carbs and hopefully Ill be ready to move forward with adjusting the chain next.

I have a practice trip this June so im under some pressure!!

Comment

Looks like Im still not ready for the Iron Butt. Take a look at the new video with the bike blowing fuses on the highway!

Heading out to Half Moon Bay, my bike kept blowing fuses. At first I thought I had to walk my bike because my dumb ass didn't check the fuses. After tourin...

Comment

Originally posted by Caferob View Post
          Ive got another post going on the valves I just did but update is, valves are adjusted, carbs are bench syned, installing duane's RR now and should be running good in a day!

I appreciate all your comments and experiences! Please any tips are open ears and open eyes from my side. Yes, ill plan a few small trips before the big one. One of the smaller trips will be up to Forks of Salmon in northern California. An old spot I camped at for about a month after college when dredging was still legal.

Ifyou get up this way let me know!
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
            Ifyou get up this way let me know!
            Im going to be heading to Forks of Salmon in May I think. Heading up Highway 1. I will definitely contact you during that ride for sure!!!

Comment

Im going to be heading to Forks of Salmon in May I think. Heading up Highway 1. I will definitely contact you during that ride for sure!!!
              I live 68 miles from "The Forks". I love to ride over there and make a big loop back home.
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I live 68 miles from "The Forks". I love to ride over there and make a big loop back home.
                I will let you know the dates for sure then! We camp down the road from the Beer Tree. Not sure if you know where im talking about but its just up the road from the post office near that bridge.
                I finally got the bike dialed in, now testing some runs to make sure its endurance ready. Burning off any excess oil leaking and so on.

Take a look at my videos if you get a chance! Ill be mentioning the ride there a lot.
                heres a link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkN...qJLF7Q9_4s0YDA

Comment

Charlie took us on some really super nice roads.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I will let you know the dates for sure then! We camp down the road from the Beer Tree. Not sure if you know where im talking about but its just up the road from the post office near that bridge.
                    I finally got the bike dialed in, now testing some runs to make sure its endurance ready. Burning off any excess oil leaking and so on.

Take a look at my videos if you get a chance! Ill be mentioning the ride there a lot.
                    heres a link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkN...qJLF7Q9_4s0YDA
                    Is the campground Hotelling? I always stop at the Beer tree and have Root Beer. The owner of the "store" always remember me as We own the same color Ford truck. I've spent more time at SawyersBar than any place on the Salmon river. Lovely country! It's why I live here. Nice equipment for the videos. You need to get up in the Santa Cruz mountains and warm up for the "Goat path" along the Salmon river. :-) Cheers!
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                      Charlie took us on some really super nice roads.
                      Come on back Paul and let's do it again!
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g

Comment

Is the campground Hotelling? I always stop at the Beer tree and have Root Beer. The owner of the "store" always remember me as We own the same color Ford truck. I've spent more time at SawyersBar than any place on the Salmon river. Lovely country! It's why I live here. Nice equipment for the videos. You need to get up in the Santa Cruz mountains and warm up for the "Goat path" along the Salmon river. :-) Cheers!
                        My fellow dredgers and I (we did it once right before it was banned) are meeting up at the same camp spot we stayed at while dredging. Just up Sawers Bar road from the beer tree, first major campsite on the right, a bit up the way from that home on the left. Its got a sweet walk way down to the perfect bathing and swimming hole area! We used to jump from the rocks into the deepest spot. Im not sure about some crazy dirt path's, lol. I think the ride alone will have me at my toes because of all the work this bike has taken to get ready. But riding with you will be a must!!

Would be cool if Paul joined! Family on the trip is always nice plus I never got to do the Oregon trip with the guys.

Comment

Working...
                        X