Firewood Transporter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firewood Transporter

Scanning some old photos, and came across this one, taken in 1982 in a campground in Cape Bretton highlands park, Nova Scotia. I'd been sent to fetch firewood. The guy selling it made the mistake of telling me "you'll never get that whole bundle of wood on that bike." Two week, 2000 mile trip from the Philadelphia area, with friends riding the '79 GS1000 I'd sold them. Had rain on 10 days :-( Still riding the GS1100.

Firewood hauler.jpg

You survived obviously, but that doesn't mean you made the right decision to ride with all that weight out on the backend of the bike. Oh well, makes for a fun story I suppose.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

And I thought I've seen everything. Nope. The Suzuki looked at that pile of wood and said "Why me" then it said "okay let's get it done" 👍
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Might appear dangerous, but I don't think it weighed anywhere close to a passenger back there. Also carried 2 saddlepacks, tank bag, tent and sleeping bag when packed for the road. Never really had a stability problem, but again, I don't think that stuff added up to having a passenger, which has the additional challenge of moving around while you're going 5 mph :-)

Comment

Have never carried that much firewood, but we have had some unusual loads.

About 35 years ago, we lived in the Los Angeles area. Went for a ride down the entire length of Angeles Crest Highway on the KZ1300. The full trip was about 200 miles, which was a NICE ride. As we approached home, my wife said that we needed to stop at the grocery store to get milk and cereal for breakfast the next day. As we were checking out, we looked at each other and just said "oops". We just asked the cashier to double-bag the groceries (only paper bags available back then), we put one bag in each saddlebag, two in the trunk, my wife held one on each leg and I had one on the (padded) tank between my legs for the one block trip home.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            You survived obviously, but that doesn't mean you made the right decision to ride with all that weight out on the backend of the bike. Oh well, makes for a fun story I suppose.
            Probably no worst than this. Returning from showers while camping on the infield at Laguna in mid 1980s.

soates50, on Flickr
            Last edited by Sandy; 01-12-2017, 03:14 PM.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Wet or dry ?
              I burn at 45% of the weight on felling day.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                Wet or dry ?
                I burn at 45% of the weight on felling day.
                Well, it burned later that evening, so dry enough to burn. We got so hammered that night we missed the ferry to Newfoundland the next day; oh well :-) Great memories of things I could/would do when I was 30 but not today.

Here's how it looked when I got home. Green thing on the seat is my tent which is fairly heavy, but would go under the sleeping bag on the luggage rack if I had a passenger. Probably rode 10,000 miles with that setup.

Suzuki-GS100E.jpg

Comment

ha ha! nice load! Racks rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                    ha ha! nice load! Racks rule.
                    I can already hear the repercussions....and I did not even say those words to my wife!
                    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

I have carried a few loads on the bike that were .....unusual....but never firewood.

Today, whenever the subject comes up, I am reminded of trips to Pakistan, where it is common to see very strange loads. Ten gallon milk cans, two of them strapped to each side, is one of them. And these are all small bikes.

Then there is the much more common sight of whole families on a 150 or 175cc bike.
                      Their bike It is their only means of transportation, so you will often see three people, but also four or five and, occasionally, six people on one bike.

Last edited by argonsagas; 01-14-2017, 09:25 AM.
                      "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                      Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by sailorman1617 View Post
                        Scanning some old photos, and came across this one, taken in 1982 in a campground in Cape Bretton highlands park, Nova Scotia. I'd been sent to fetch firewood. The guy selling it made the mistake of telling me "you'll never get that whole bundle of wood on that bike." Two week, 2000 mile trip from the Philadelphia area, with friends riding the '79 GS1000 I'd sold them. Had rain on 10 days :-( Still riding the GS1100.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49302[/ATTACH]
                        That's awesome! The pics and story brought back memories of backpacking adventures I had with my friends in my 20's. They were all on foot, but I am trying to have some new adventures now that I am passing through middle age. Thanks for sharing!

IMG_0050.jpg
                        Last edited by Guest; 01-14-2017, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
                          I have carried a few loads on the bike that were .....unusual....but never firewood.

Today, whenever the subject comes up, I am reminded of trips to Pakistan, where it is common to see very strange loads. Ten gallon milk cans, two of them strapped to each side, is one of them. And these are all small bikes.

Then there is the much more common sight of whole families on a 150 or 175cc bike.
                          Their bike It is their only means of transportation, so you will often see three people, but also four or five and, occasionally, six people on one bike.

https://ca.images.search.yahoo.com/s...F-8&n=60&x=wrt
                          I was on a super cheap all inclusive vacation to the Dominican Republic back when I had more money than kids and the streets in town were just like middle east images where scooters and little motorcycles were everywhere and very few had only one person riding. I tried to get a shot of the bikes with entire families but none came out, but there were several with dad driving, 3 kids in the middle, and mom on the back. I was talking to the guide because I couldn't figure out the lanes or patterns and nobody stopped for anything... I asked the guide about turn signals and he just laughed "We use the horn." Hah! We were on a bus.

Comment

Originally posted by sailorman1617 View Post
                            taken in 1982
                            In 1982 I got nervous when dust settled on my EZ ! A load of firewood would have killed me...
                            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                              In 1982 I got nervous when dust settled on my EZ ! A load of firewood would have killed me...
                              Note the towel on the seat under the wood. Thought there was indeed quite a bit of dust and road grime at that point of the trip :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X