1981 GS450EX newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS450EX newbie

After 16 miserable years of marriage....I was finally able to get a bike..again. Back when I was 16 my dad died and left me his Harley low rider and superglide...my step father made me get rid of them or move out. At 17 I picked up a GS550..again was threatened with homelessness. At 19, GSXR750... thought I would kill myself on it so I sold it. Now... 25 (20 of which in the Navy) years later... I picked up an 81 GS450EX for a few bucks. The owner had it stored for the last 6 years in a shed, "found it" while selling an engine he also had stored. Over the last 3 weeks, I have replaced wiring, OEM cosmetics like acorn nuts, straps, screws etc., degreased, cleaned, cleaned tank, removed corrosion, polished, scrubbed, tuned, blah blah blah. you get the picture. Bike runs fantastic and I can't complain yet. Read the Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread, already knew most of them. ADD A NEW FREAKING GROUND!!! can't stress this one enough. Suzuki Parts Warehouse... finding all my OEM part numbers. Keep an extra cheapo voltage regulator handy. Keep a flash light, zip ties, 10 in 1 screwdriver, metric multiwrench and a Gerber mulit-tool in the storage.

LINK TO PICS 1981 GS450EX

The best part of all this, having great friends to help as needed. Cost me a couple cases of beer to get some of the best motorcycle mechanics in the area over to give advice or help.

Carbs cleaned, rebuilt, tuned - cost ~$50 parts and a case of beer
    NGK sparks - ~$3 - know the manager at the autoparts store
    Tires - FREE brand new - guy had in his garage, sold his GS and forgot to give the guy the tires he just bought, found on CL.
    Front brake rebuild - $22 kit $10 kevlar pads
    Rear brake - $23 shoe/spring kit
    Gel-Cel battery (new) - $60 Link to battery supplier Moto Part Hub I paid $60.14, its now $68... still cheaper than anywhere else for a gel
    1 gal citrus degreaser - $20
    1 spray bottle - $3
    6 nylon tooth brushes - $3
    6 Brass tooth brushes - $4
    2 rolls of aluminum foil - $2 (removes rust from chrome like a champ...dollar store foil)
    Light bulbs - FREE - bike store going out of business
    1 small chain, tank clean solution, tank liner - $30 (same bike store going out of business)
    Misc OEM parts(nuts/bolts/straps/fastners etc) ~$80

complete once over by 2 master mechs and myself - Case of beer, bottle of Fireball, 3 steaks and fixings.

Bike running to perfection - PRICELESS

Still getting rust off as I have time.

Did I mention I'm trying to keep this one as factory as possible. I can't stand coffee .

Also, the front fender has this eagle on it along with both sides of the fork reflector... its like a hood ornament about 3 inches tall and about an inch round. Local suzuki mech said that they were popular add-ons in the 80's.... anyone have anything on this?
    Last edited by Guest; 01-13-2017, 05:00 PM. Reason: ADDED LINK

send pics too please

Comment

Sounds like a cool bike...now lets see some pictures!
      1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
      1977 GS550
      1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
        Sounds like a cool bike...now lets see some pictures!
        will be loading some up....may have to create a pinterest account or something to get them all LINK ADDED

1981 GS450EX

What you don't see but is there in a couple of the pics is the massive pollen and dust covering the bike, the 40lbs of mud/dirt/grease/grime/road crud. I think I took 60lbs off the bike when I cleaned it lol.
        Last edited by Guest; 01-13-2017, 03:42 PM.

Comment

That eagle add-on is funny looking...like someone is taking the **** out of Indian. I have never seen something like that.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
            That eagle add-on is funny looking...like someone is taking the **** out of Indian. I have never seen something like that.
            I know, I have never seen that "suzuki eagle" before. We have one of those "sage" mechanics, has lived in Orlando for his whole life, lives simple, always was a bike mechanic, worked for every shop in town....you know the guys I mean. He said he had seen them before.... then again... he also says he was abducted from Little Sturgis by aliens once too... but he usually isn't wrong or far off. I have just never seen that particular eagle before. I'm thinking of getting a new fender and ditching them if they are not factory.

Comment

Also, the front fender has this eagle on it along with both sides of the fork reflector...
              I can't see the tiny pinterest pictures very well-(I'm not logging in everywhere as a data mine if I can help it!) Factory Hood ornaments on these fenders...well! Stranger things are possible I guess and I'm happy to be corrected but it seems very very unlikely. I've looked at anawful lot of pictures of this model (because I have an 81 red GSX400EX) ... only thing that I can suppose as "legitimate" is in Britain they used to (?) have something for a licence plate on the front fender...

Comment

Working...
              X