My 1979 Suzuki GS1000 and it's story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 1979 Suzuki GS1000 and it's story

This is my 1979 Suzuki GS1000 with 7900 miles. Back in the late 70's he owned a Suzuki dealer in Great Bend, KS. His treasured bike was a 1979 GS1000. He ended up selling the shop, and the bike, but always regretted selling the bike. Back in 2010 he purchased this GS1000, it had sat in a barn for many years. He loved this bike, but declining health he was forced to sell it. I purchased it from him, he passed away a few months later. I've owned several bikes, while this may not be the fastest or flashiest, I absolutely love this bike and the memories behind it. Here's a picture of the bike the day I purchased it from him.
    Attached Files

That's a great story, and a great bike. Enjoy it!
    1978 GS1000E
    1980 GS1000S (Wes Cooley Replica)
    1981 GS1100E
    1982 GS1100E
    1982 GS1000SZ
    1983 GS1100ED
    1983 GS1100ESD
    1978 Honda CB750K
    1981 Honda CB900F

Comment

Who's the guy you bought it from?

Bike looks great!

Comment

Great story. Who is the gentleman? (Acquaintance/Family/Friend)

Did you look into the blue pipes? (Running rich)

Great looking bike!

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Thanks for the compliments. I forgot to mention, that is my father in law that owned the bike and Suzuki shop.

Yes, I need to look into the blue pipes this spring. It's been on my to do list!

Comment

Nice looking bike, and cool that it stayed in the family.

The blue pipes are likely caused by a lean condition from the exhaust change, especially if the carbs weren't rejetted. Or it could be tight valves.

Good luck and enjoy.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
              Did you look into the blue pipes? (Running rich)
              Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
              The blue pipes are likely caused by a lean condition from the exhaust change, especially if the carbs weren't rejetted. Or it could be tight valves.
              Not to be a smartazz, but which is it? I've been confused myself on this issue.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
              Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuce View Post
                Not to be a smartazz, but which is it? I've been confused myself on this issue.
                Well wouldn't blue pipes be a symptom of running hot?...Therefore a lean condition.
                No signature

Comment

I thought that blue pipes were a result of running hot also. I have seen blue pipes caused by the ignition timing being off, causing the engine to run hot.
                  Ron
                  When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                  1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                  1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                  1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                  1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Blue equals hot, lean equals hot.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Ed's a good guy, he's not always right but he tries... 👍☺
                      My Motorcycles:
                      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                      79 1000e (all original)
                      82 850g (all original)
                      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                        Ed's a good guy, he's not always right but he tries... 👍☺
                        We're all here to help each other bro. Some of us like to put others on blast...Which I don't take offense to. It gets the dialogue going and that's what I take away from the feedback.

In other words Norm, it's cool my GS brother.

OP, you see how we help each other around here? It's all relative to having a good sense of humor and taking some ribbing (jokes) from Norm. He's a good guy and means well. :P

Ed
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                        X