Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

81 GS450 LED headlamp conversion, any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS450 LED headlamp conversion, any suggestions?

Anyone have any tips on if an LED headlight conversion will work on an 81 GS450? If so, what size will fit in the housing. I have read everything from 6 3/8 to 7 inches or 160-180mm... no straight answer. If anyone has done this, what kind, where to buy, size, any special instructions??

Thanks,

If I remember correctly, your headlight is not the standard 7" light, but I could be wrong.

If you DO have a 7" light, the conversion is easy, but not necessarily cheap.

Just open up the housing, remove the current light, drop in a Truck-Lite LED Headlight, put it all back together and wonder why you didn't do that sooner.

Not sure how many others have done this particular conversion, but several of us here is southwest oHIo have done it.

If you don't have a 7" headlight already, look for a used bucket and trim ring, along with mounting ears (the offset is different), then swap it all.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I would not even consider it unless you have changed over to a Series R/R or the wattage of the light you replace it with is the almost the same. Reducing a major load like that may fool a stock Shunt R/R into overcharging.
      Last edited by OldVet66; 01-16-2017, 11:54 AM.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
        I would not even consider it unless you have changed over to a Series R/R or the wattage of the light you replace it with is the almost the same. Reducing a major load like that may fool a stock Shunt R/R into overcharging.
        how soon this info is lost................

Comment

already did that, had to put a new one in when I got the bike. R/R covered. Just couldn't find an old post where someone detailed the what and how they did a conversion on a GS450 LED headlight.

Comment

Good to hear you are ready for the project. Hope you find a suitable light.
            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Actually it wont "fool the R/R" at all. It will just burn out your stator and or your R/R. Will charge just fine until one or the other goes.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Took a closer look at the headlight, its as close to 7 inches as you can get without actually being 7 inches. Glad I didn't order the 6 3/8 bulb from the Suzuki dealer now lol. Checking out the 7 inch LED options on the webernet. Thanks

Comment

Did you measure across the glass lens or across the chrome trim ring? ?-k

The overall housing on a 7" light will actually measure about 7 3/4" across.

The 6 3/8" light will have a housing that will measure about 7" across, so it is important to know where you measured.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Did you measure across the glass lens or across the chrome trim ring? ?-k

The overall housing on a 7" light will actually measure about 7 3/4" across.

The 6 3/8" light will have a housing that will measure about 7" across, so it is important to know where you measured.

I got the caliper out and measured holder, housing, lens, ring, depth... got it all. Measure twice, order once.

Suzuki said I had a 6 3/8 light, measured just under 7, holder to holder right around the 7 3/4. Judging by what the parts house has and what the dealer found by my VIN....this isn't the factory set up.
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-16-2017, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                      Actually it wont "fool the R/R" at all. It will just burn out your stator and or your R/R. Will charge just fine until one or the other goes.
                      Details details............

Comment

I got a JW Speaker Evolution 8700 Rev2, used, on eBay for $179 bucks and its been fantastic.( Caution...lotsa chinese knock offs out there stating they are JW's and are not)
                        PB
                        Central Jersey
                        82' Suzuki GS750T

"Old school is the best school"

Comment

Working...
                        X