No announcement yet.

Gs1000 Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally the flebay rfy shocks i got in factory length work and feel great when at proper nitro pressure
    I build Pipers

Comment

But my only thing to compare too were the blown factory g shocks on my 1000 and the super short after market junk that was on my 850 from the p o
      I build Pipers

Comment

Sorry for the delay, i have to actually work and make money to pay for this build pfff responsibilities.. anyways here is the progress I have made
        /the gauge mount bracket was wrecked but with a little persuasion it went right back into shape

Cleaned and painted the upper triple tree

The donor bike had these little caps on the front forks, does anyone know what they are used for? I assumed some sort of air pressure equalizer? The donor 850G i believe had some history or someone put time into it, it had progressive springs, oil cooler, aftermarket mastercylinder,

I cant say enought about this Zap degreaser, this stuff is amazing, I filled up a 5 gallon bucket for parts soaking and here are some results

The forks were trashed so here is the seals,

The first one popped out when inflated the rest were not so easy

I disassembled the forks for complete rebuild and cleaning, so these were removed with a little persuasion

FACCCCCKKKKK the bolt rounded out using the correct bit

Comment

Its hard to describe how much crap was inside the fork tubes, i had to take a wire wheel and a small screw driver to get all the gunk out of the seal clip holder in thingy area

In keeping up with everything i had multiple sets of G forks, so i disassembled them all to find the best ones but all the seals were removed

Disassembled forks, i have never taken a set completely apart so this was all new to me for anyone wondering what they look like disassembled

Comment

Before

After, still has a few blemishes but much better

15wt fork oil was used

Mounted the triple tree with new upper bearings, i cross referenced the steering bearings and went to Oriellys and got a wheel bearing with the same dimensions, I figured if it takes the weight of a car at 70mph then its good enough for my steering stem

I changed the Turn signals out for the square ones, I like these better than the round ones, this is where the bike is becoming a Frankenstein bike

The weather was 60's on Saturday so we took old blue out for a drive, It was quite nice and with the new metzlers still handles quite well

I also got my fox-body out this weekend also and cleaned it up, I don't drive it near enough but I cant get rid of it either, when I bought when i was 18 it was a empty shell, and now has an aluminum headed 306 with every modification imaginable. Its fun to drive but currently needs a new clutch, i dont know why.....

Comment

This has been a budget build from the start, I didn't want to spend a ton of money on unneessary parts but when I purchased the barn of parts I knew some may need some cleaning but will turn out ok for me

After a little polishing

Rear Fender mounted,

Original chrome tailpiece it has a tiny crack in it but is all complete

Anyone know why there are blocked off Valve stems in this tail section

Cleaning the eletrical contacts to save me problems later on, a cheap toothbrush and some electrical cleaner works wonders

In digging through parts i found a shindgen 232-12 R/R, soldered some wires back to it, with some heatshrink and we are good to go

Comment

Got the gauges painted, connections cleaned, and mounted...i forgot the ignition switch

Main harness is going in

r/r mounted

Getting there

Mounted clubman bars, im not a fan really will probably replace with Daytona or something like that

Brake Master cylinder is disgusting

And this is how i ended the night 5 bandaids later it finally stopped bleeding

Comment

Your clubmans are upside down, they only look good on smaller bikes imo
                  I build Pipers

Comment

I like how this bike is turning out though!
                    I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
                      Your clubmans are upside down, they only look good on smaller bikes imo
                      Yea I realized that but I couldn't find any other handlebars and they wouldn't go the other way these will have to be there for now

Comment

If my triples had mounts for normal handle bars id run super bike bars or low rise dirtbike bars. A freind of mine had both on his gs and was very comfy
                        I build Pipers

Comment

Think I'm going to use superbike or Daytona bars we shall see what happens as we go, I got the electric done today now I need new brake lines and a battery

Comment

Good battery and connection will go along way. I put the battery i had in my gs that would barely turn it over into my fzr1000 and it was like it was a new battery.. thats with new cables on the gs too.. although my starter may be getting worn out idk haha
                            I build Pipers

Comment

I've been making progress, I just haven't loaded pictures due to photobucket ads. I finally got the harness in it and all the electrical parts to finally work, there was a bad solder in the fuse box main fuse that was a PITA to track down and find. I'm awaiting my ultrasonic cleaner, Airbox and some new parts to be delivered, will update accordingly

Comment

If you use the photobucket app on a phone there's no adds. Its so much easier to use
                                I build Pipers

Comment

Working...
                                X