No announcement yet.

Gs1000 Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good looking bike! I'm inspired to start my GS1000 project. I started it several years ago and life got in the way. Of course i don't have any "before" pictures. I plan to take some current pictures and start from there. I also haven't posted any pics on photobucket in ages. It will be another new, old experience. May even start my own rebuild thread.
    1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
    1984 GS1100GK
    1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
    1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
    1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

Comment

I haven't forgot about the build thread just life happens, and i also figure we dont need another photo of a brake caliper being bolted on. I've also been ordering parts for the assembly
      parts
      En route
      are my new brake lines from Rennsport
      Uni air filter
      Choke Cable
      Bowl Gaskets

The fusebox finally worked and i got the corrosion cleaned up where everything started

Headlight bucket installed

Rough Mock up of the bike

Caliper photos anyways

New soldered Wiring and connectors

got the 4:1 header bolted on and the exhaust pipe, sprayed with VHT "flameproof" paint

Comment

got my new Ultrasonic cleaner, I will never use old berrymans again unless i really really need to $119 shipped to my front door

Bowl for practice run

Carbs before disassembly for dipping

I do a lot of smoking meat for people during the summer and my smoker needed work due to a rusted out barrel so I got side tracked with repairing the old barrel for the top smoke box. I had a baby shower with 60bs of meat to cook for, like I said life happens

The junk Harbor Freight welder only worked about 30% of the time. I could touch the wire to the ground and it still wouldnt work

Last edited by Guest; 03-02-2017, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Now Back to the bike
          Carbs assembled and back on the rack

I got the Airbox and chrome side covers from Ebay, found the metal air filter replacement in a box i knew I had set one aside just couldn't figure out where. Decided Pods were not the way i wanted to go.

GRAND MOMENT!!!! Time to get the BIKE STARTING
          I went to start the bike and all I got was a solenoid click Thought it was maybe the battery check the voltage and it was 4V, so I took a known good battery from my blue bike and placed it in there and click . So I assumed the starter i mean what else could go bad?. I swapped starters and it was the same, so I think to myself..... This build has went really smooth so now is time for something to go bad.......what is the worse case.....oh the engine is locked up. I pulled the spark plugs took off the timing cover and tried to spin the engine by hand.... I couldn't.

I filled the spark plug holes with PB blaster, let it sit for about 20-30 minutes. I put a large wrench on the nut and gave a few non gentle taps with a mallet and it finally broke free. II shot the PB blaster out of the spark plug holes all over the garage. I charge the battery, put it back in and give it a few cranks and it popped a few times like it wanted to start. I give it more time to prime the carbs and voila! it started and sputtered for a few seconds. I looked down and gas was dripping out of the carbs. I realized that the gaskets I used were not sealed well so back off they came but its progress right????

I am currently awaiting the new bowl gaskets, brake lines, air filter and the long awaited

MUFFLER BAFFLE!!!!!!!!

Will report back when I get all the parts

Comment

You get bonus points for perseverance, James.
            Are you sure the gas was coming from ill-fitting bowl gaskets?
            Could be o-rings, stuck float, improper float height.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Can you give us a link for the Sonic cleaner? That's a nice price.
              Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
              Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
              Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

yea its the bowl gaskets, the O rings were replaced properly with Robert Barr's kit but.... I cheaped out and put some hard old bowl gaskets in it, and I knew better but i wanted to get the engine to fire. live and learn right?

its $106 now which is better than when i bought it

Comment

James, nice job on the bike, what magic sauce did you use in your ultra sonic cleaner, the carb bowls came up very nicely.

That 6L is a pretty good size, I got the 3L one and it works for 1 carb but only just.

They were much more expensive when I got mine, but $106.00 that is very inexpensive for a 6L unit and it looks like it works well.

David
                  2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                  2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                  1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                  2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                  1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                  1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                  1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                  Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

All I used was water and some dish soap, I did some simple green but it discolored the carb body I did a sample run on, I soaked it back in water and it almost was normal after that

Comment

In favor of all Gs resource members my muffler baffle arrived today! Will post pics after it's installed

Comment

Finally got the O-rings ordered from Robert Barr all my leaks are stopped, new bowl gaskets, and the floats are reset to stock height per the manual
                        Re-assembled, its coming together quite nicely....

Got the baffle in with some sledge hammer persuasion. The holes didn't match up so I just tack welded the baffle in not the prettiest but it works

The header wrap looks neat IMO but it soaks up every bit of oil and smokes like a tar kettle. It will be coming off soon BUT IT RUNS!!! The carbs are tuned pretty well so far it revs and drops like it should she smokes a bit but for an engine that hasn't ran in god knows how long but it runs!

how the bike looks this morning. The hole that someone punched in the engine putting on the case guards that I had welded up didn't seal completely resulting in a leak so now I have cleaned and cleaned the site and put JB weld over it hoping to get the leak to seal up, I used the mix epoxy and it didn't work so I cleaned with carb cleaner and let it dry x4 times. I chipped off all the mix epoxy and got the tube steel putty and rolled it up in there to let it sit last night

Comment

It lives

Comment

%5BURL=http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/onemetallica1985/media/bike%20build/E92891BC-BF4E-4A5B-8292-50B186E84C00.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l506/onemetallica1985/bike%20build/E92891BC-BF4E-4A5B-8292-50B186E84C00.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like motorcyclemadman.
                            Last edited by Guest; 03-11-2017, 12:48 AM.

Comment

new jets are installed the bike is running great, I have a leak in the right front caliper. Once again I was cheap and used old seals but new ones are on the way

The header is now painted, I had to fill several pinholes with welds. The bike is running great, im happy with everything. Thanks for all the help, new caliper seals are on the way and I'm debating what to do for a seat cover
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-24-2017, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Love this bike!
                                I build Pipers

Comment

Working...
                                X