Help with a 80 gs450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with a 80 gs450

Just picked up a 80 gs 450 for a project bike. I'm newer to bikes but not to wrenching or modifying. I'm just trying to get the bike started and running for now but I am missing some parts. I am wondering if I can get some help on what exact parts are missing. Pretty much I've narrowed it down to the clutch assembly is missing and looks as if the rod it rides on is broke off.
    Attached Files

Here's the close up shot. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 80gs View Post
      Here's the close up shot. Thanks in advance.
      bunch of stuff to actuate clutch assembly is missing. Go to this link and backup thru its parts fiches to see the layout

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Looks like the shift shaft is bent forward as well. It should bend back with a bit of finesse and a piece of pipe. The seal on the shaft where the pushrod goes in looks to be herniated somewhat.?? Looks like the clutch cover and clutch are going to have to come off. The '80s were a one piece push rod as I recall.
        '82 GS450T

Comment

My question is now that I have replaced the clutch push rod and it doesn't seem right. Is it supposed to move freely back and forth about an inch(give or take)?

Comment

First, you must have replaced the pushrod with another one piece style, which I thought were no longer available; so it must be a used one. Second, it's been a long time since I shook hands with one of those, but as I recall it moved about that much. It extends to shove the pressure plate out but retracts back until it hits whatever else is in the way.

Presumably you've replaced the pushrod seal and installed the seal retainer plate, and straightened the shifter shaft. This is a good time to remove the old 'earwax' from the clutch actuator helix and regrease it.
            '82 GS450T

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
              First, you must have replaced the pushrod with another one piece style, which I thought were no longer available; so it must be a used one. Second, it's been a long time since I shook hands with one of those, but as I recall it moved about that much. It extends to shove the pressure plate out but retracts back until it hits whatever else is in the way.

Presumably you've replaced the pushrod seal and installed the seal retainer plate, and straightened the shifter shaft. This is a good time to remove the old 'earwax' from the clutch actuator helix and regrease it.
              Yes it is a used one I got a hold of that is a one piece style. And I got a brand new oil seal and seal retainer plate. I will take clutch actuator apart and re grease it too.

Thanks for for the help. Just wanted to make sure before I button everything up and try and start it.

Comment

Working...
              X