OEM or PODS after crtitters destroyed my intake? 81 GS450EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM or PODS after crtitters destroyed my intake? 81 GS450EX

Ok, a fairy tale starts out "Once Upon A Time" in the Navy we say "Ya'll ain't never gonna believe this sh*t"

well Ya'll ain't. Left my bike outside last night.... apparently critters liked my factory air box, boots, some electrical wires and intake manifold.....

needless to say, I now need a new throttle cable, wiring/lines/hose( I have ), air box, intake manifold.....bastards chewed it to hell. I understand wires.....but why the rubber and plastic???

Should I find a factory air box or go with pods.... I am going to rebuild the carbs in the process..since I have to take them off anyway.

If pods, what mods to carbs? recommend a good rebuild kit? Intake boots cheaper than $50 each? Any thing else I should check or tune while I have that area cleared out?

Thanks

Just one night and all this damage?? from critters? You sure that you haven't ****ed off someone lately?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Getting the jetting right with pods is non-trivial, and even if it's perfect you'll have less low end power and worse gas mileage than with the stock setup.
      On the plus side, pods will likely be cheaper, the carbs will be easier to get on and off, and the bike will feel faster, even if it's actually not.
      '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Just one night and all this damage?? from critters? You sure that you haven't ****ed off someone lately?
        live in rural Orlando....driveway is right next to conservation area. last night it got down in the low 50's where I am, just cold enough for critters to look for warm spots. Couple of years ago, had a party....2 of my friends car's wiring harnesses became victim to either squirrels/rats/mice etc. on the same night. Pretty sure I didn't tick anyone off except the wildlife. I will say, this is the first time I have had any critter activity on/in my bike, should have garaged it off the bat when I got home.

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
          Getting the jetting right with pods is non-trivial, and even if it's perfect you'll have less low end power and worse gas mileage than with the stock setup.
          On the plus side, pods will likely be cheaper, the carbs will be easier to get on and off, and the bike will feel faster, even if it's actually not.
          not looking for sound/feel/performance....just wanted to know what would be best for the bike and my wallet, not looking to break land speed records on a GS450.

Comment

If it was me I'd look pretty hard for a stock airbox. Only if I couldn't find one would I go with pods.
            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
              If it was me I'd look pretty hard for a stock airbox. Only if I couldn't find one would I go with pods.
              +1. I'd do the same.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Rainbows, Unicorns, Leprechauns, Jewpid's and MTV's Dan Cortez everywhere today... called around one of the chain scooter shops in the area had a GS450. Apparently it doesn't run, has no title and they won't spend the money to get one. Checked it out, air box the same, intake boots and miscellaneous...and made a deal with them...got what I needed off of it for today, will pick up the salvage another day (the one time a year I would need a truck) . NEWSFLASH!! these guys had about 100 bikes in the shed behind the store, according to one of the kids working there, it was the small shed and their larger store about 20 miles away has even more. Check out the scooter stores in your area for salvage pieces.

Did I forget to say the entire salvage cost me $80 and change?

The meter hood was in better condition than mine...it's $80 on ebay if I were to buy it..so win - win.

Comment

I have an extra GS450 airbox you can have for shipping. PM me.
                  1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                  1977 GS550
                  1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Whoops just read your previous post - looks like you don't need the airbox. Reguardless, I have a handful of GS450 parts lying around taking up space that I would be happy to be rid of. Let me know if you need anything.
                    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                    1977 GS550

Comment

I can also chime in on the PODS - I put UNI pods on my GS450 and replaced the muffler with the Emgo shorty's (my original was rusted to hell). The UNI filters themselves were $35 or so from DCC. I ended up spending around $60 in jets and took the carbs on/off around 15 times to get the jetting where I was happy with it. I've put about 3,000 miles on the bike since then with no problems. My best mileage `reading' was 52mpg cruising between 60/65 on the highway which is less than the stock setup but is still way better than a car and lets me comfortably get 100+miles from a tank and sets a good time between riding rests for longer trips.

I'm fine with the $100 or so I spent doing it, but do LOVE the fact that getting the carbs off takes me about 3 minutes. The GS450 airbox is huge the only time I was able to remove it was with the engine out of the frame (I've heard of other ways like taking the rear wheel off but never had the need to try them). It's not like the airbox on my GS750 which just slides out of the side and makes taking the carbs out of the bike fairly painless.
                      1977 GS550

Comment

Does the 450 use cv carbs?
                        I build Pipers

Comment

I was wondering what your final jet sizes are and if you had to adjust the needle height? Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
                            Does the 450 use cv carbs?
                            Yep BS34's
                            1977 GS550

Comment

Just realized that during the long cold winter, my bike has been a source of nutrition for mice. Due to their high protein content, the spark plug caps have taken the biggest hit, but the tape around the wiring loom has provided the rodents all the essential vitamins and carbohydrates as well. Someone has even taken a bite out of the connector-covering rubber hose, but it has a high fat percentage and thus was not consumed entirely.
                              Seriously talking, the damage is not that great actually. Got the bike going and their may not be any shorts in the electrical system. Didn't go for a ride though, took the cam chain tensioner off instead and am going to attempt a rebuild in the nearest future...

Comment

Working...
                              X