Vetter side cases on an 83 GS 850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vetter side cases on an 83 GS 850

May as well go totally retro and sport the Vetter rear end as well! I'm having to customize the mounting brackets a bit since they came from an older GS. I will make a forward bracket once theyre hanging right.

How much clearance do I need from the exhaust pipes? Do they get hot enough to melt this plastic if they touch?

Any feedback will be appreciated.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

my gk exhaust are within 2 inches of saddlebags but no signs of excess heat...
    but i also have zero rush hour traffic

and btw your bike is sparkling gorgeous
    Last edited by Guest; 01-21-2017, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Thanks man. It always looks better in the pic for some reason. You can't see the bits of rust from the battery vent and crud built up on the engine unless the angle is right.

I've never been crazy about the look of the windjammer but sitting behind it sure is nice! The bags someone said (Grimly I think) will make the rear end look like a starship which made me laugh. I agree they're a little funky looking, but hey I'm really looking forward to the cargo room.

I can get 1/4" of clearance on one side but the other is right on the pipe. If 2" is the target clearance, I'll go back to the drawing board so to speak.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

i will be home in a few hours and check dimensions ...this was away from bike guess

Comment

Don't forget when riding, your shocks will compress (weight and bumps) so you'll need to calculate in some room for that.

Comment

Well, ignore that last remark. Exhaust pipes are not attached to the swingarm... duh

Comment

Originally posted by mnferwerda View Post
              Don't forget when riding, your shocks will compress (weight and bumps) so you'll need to calculate in some room for that.
              It won't matter how much the shocks compress, the bag to muffler clearance won't change.

What WILL change, though, is how much weight you put in the bag.

The Vetter bags mount in rubber grommets to provide some 'give' when bumps are encountered. Adding weight in the bags will make them sag a bit more, reducing clearance to the mufflers a bit. At that location, it might be as much as 1/4".

I just went out to the shop to check clearance on my son's 1000G. It has the proper mounts, so no adapting was necessary. There is only about 1/2" from the pipe to the bottom of the bag.

He has not reported any problems with heat, but he hasn't done much riding with them in the summer time, either.

Just to double-check, I checked the clearance below my GK bags on my 850. My 4-into-1 pipe ends right about the front of the bag. I had some issues with heat in the bag, so I made an extension to take the exhaust beyond the end of the bag. Seems to be a couple of inches there, I did not measure exactly.

Personally, I would rather not have the bags touching the pipes, so give them whatever small amount you can.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                He has not reported any problems with heat, but he hasn't done much riding with them in the summer time, either.
                If those pipes were going to get hot enough to make trouble, it would have been the day Dan and I crossed the WV/VA border a couple times on 33. That wasn't a cold day, and climbing the mountains as fast as we could made the bikes plenty hot. Hotter than a day on track.
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Ok, I see my error. First of all I am using a backrest from an 81 850 which is complicating the matter of mounting these Vetter bags which, by the way, were from a 79 850. I was trying to mount the Vetter bracket on the rear bolt location for the frame grab handle under the seat. I see now that it needs to be moved back and raised to where the rear blinker bracket bolts on.

Here's another issue, the backrest has to move up. I'll need to cut the mounting tabs from the backrest and relocate them, then I'll have the clearance under the bags to the exhaust. I haven't been able to closely examine a completed setup in use so I'm learning as I go with this. Plus, I searched for months to find the correct year and model brackets and this was as close as I could get.

Nice job on that extension Steve. And thank you for the input.
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                    If those pipes were going to get hot enough to make trouble, it would have been the day Dan and I crossed the WV/VA border a couple times on 33.
                    Would that be the day of the "turtle shells"?

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Would that be the day of the "turtle shells"?

Yes. In addition to exploring the thermal limits of 10W-40, that day also had a cold and very, very wet portion during which the turtle shell dodging occurred. And a sharing keys portion, because you had his keys and had already left. Fortunately, one of my bike keys worked well enough. Hmmm... I just now figured out that I can "borrow" Brad's bike.

The turtle shell thing is relevant to this thread, for those who don't know the story. The Vetter side bag mount includes a piece of wire that holds the bag on the bike. Using a replacement wire of insufficient strength resulted in the bag falling off after hitting a bump. Several times. It was a lot like playing Mario Kart, to have to keep dodging luggage in the road.
                      Dogma
                      --
                      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

That turtle shell story is funny. Unless of course it's your bag that came loose.

I had to remove the backrest to mount the Vetter brackets, but they're on!

At least the built in Corbin backrest will work until I can make some mounting brackets for the chrome one with the cargo rack.
                        I have the nearly 2" clearance to the pipes now too.

For the front support I ran a 3/4" tube to the bottom of the passenger foot rest. It attaches to a 1/4" pin through the support bracket and a cotter pin through that making it easy to remove.

Oh, the chrome blinkers came apart trying to remove them so I pulled these from the parts bike. I actually like the black ones better next to the bags anyway.

Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

dont forget to uncover your plate,
                          one has red thing
                          other pic has glove
                          worried the feds are watching ya?

spare bike eh?...mb a seat you might sell?
                          my base on my seat is way rusted away
                          Last edited by Guest; 01-23-2017, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trlsrider View Post
                            dont forget to uncover your plate,
                            one has red thing
                            other pic has glove
                            worried the feds are watching ya?

spare bike eh?...mb a seat you might sell?
                            my base on my seat is way rusted away
                            Haha, not worried really, just cautious. I've seen lots of other pics where the plate is obscured and figured maybe a good idea.

Sorry, I sold the seat and lots of other parts from it.
                            Roger

Current rides
                            1983 GS 850G
                            2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Nice bike, I like the black indicators better too...

Comment

Working...
                              X