1982 GS750E Family Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS750E Family Project

Hello from New York! I purchased this at the request of my kids. Previous owner got it as payment for work done but he likes Honda's! I got it for $300. Has everything but the headlight. I'm letting my daughter decide which path we will take with its look. I haven't tried to start it yet but was wondering if I should try to get it running then break it down or break it down then get it started later? This will be my first total breakdown then reassemble.

Thanks for.letting me in!
    Attached Files

You have a lot of work cut out for yourself there. Not to mention a serious cash outlay. Mine was something like that after sitting for 20 years. I took it all apart, cleaned everything, repainted and re-chromed and then put it all back together. I did not have to open up the engine, just filled it with oil and let it sit the first year while I worked on everything else. My wife and neighbors thought I was crazy - you are going to fix THAT! A few years later I took third place at a vintage bike show. I found everything I needed on this forum and Basscliff's website. He has some excellent tutorials. It was a huge learning curve but well worth the effort expended. Without this Forum I would never have been able to figure out some of the problems that I encountered, especially cleaning and setting the carbs up right. Welcome to the Forum, you have come to the right place. There are many of us willing to chime in to help you in saving another GS from the scrapyard.

Comment

If it's not all seized up or with obvious issues-parts missing etc. I would always choose to quickly get em running as soon as possible. It's encouraging. (or not!)
      Oof course before attempting that I'd check out the obvious as well as I'm able ...ie: spin with starter without plugs in etc.

Comment

I see one major problem, it looks like the PO assembled the whole bike upside-down!

Definitely try to get it running before doing anything else.
        Charles
        --
        1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

One thing I've noticed on this site is the amount of help and info given out! Thanks everyone! Once we start getting into it i will post our progress!

Comment

Welcome to GSR.
            I would say to get it running first.
            And check to see how old the tires are.

DO post more pics as you proceed (better if hosted on some other photohosting site like photbucket or flicker or something).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
            X