Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Model T or Model X parts

Hello everyone,

I'd just like to start by saying sorry if this isn't the right spot for this question. I couldn't find anything else about it but I am new to the forum and can't navigate flawlessly yet. Regardless, I just bought a 1980 GS 850GL off of craigslist for $600. I've been cleaning it up a bit, saving money for parts and have just started ordering things. I have been ordering them off partzilla and have to ask: How do I know if I should order a model T or a model X part? Some pieces that I need (like a new petcock for instance) require me to choose between model T and model X parts. I can't seem to word a google search correctly to find the answer and hoped someone here may be able to help me.

Thanks.

If it's definitely a 1980 model, it's a GS 850GLT. But please be aware that a sale date of 1980 does not necessarily equate to a 1980 model. The 'Suzuki year' began somewhere around September. If you post a photo some one may be able to say for certain.

Have a look at some of the parts fiches here: http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs850_model13493/

They may help you determine what differences you need to be aware of.
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

The reason for the model T and X being on the parts fiche is because they used the same parts fiche for multiple years. As stated earlier, if you have a 1980 model by VIN then you use the T parts. In most cases they're the same between 1980 and 81. If you look at the 10th digit on your VIN it will probably be an "A". If so it's an 80 for sure and uses the "T" parts. If it says "B" then it's an 81 and uses the "X" parts.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

You might want to check out Z1 enterprises for those as well. I first bought a parts kit for my 81 850 but the petcock was buggered beyond repair so I got a new one from Z1.

Comment

+1 for Z1 Enterprises - Make sure you double check the side the fuel tap is leaving the petcock on the K&L petcocks they stock as well as the O-ring gasket pattern. I wasn't paying attention and ordered one with the tap exiting to the right instead of to the left for my GS750 and also the O-ring doesn't seal the screw holes. Neither really mattered (rerouted fuel line to slightly less desireable configuration and made up some little gaskets for the screws) and it was no fault of theirs but I was little annoyed with myself...
          1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
          1977 GS550
          1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
            If you look at the 10th digit on your VIN it will probably be an "A". If so it's an 80 for sure and uses the "T" parts. If it says "B" then it's an 81 and uses the "X" parts.
            The big problem with THAT idea is that the '80 VIN only has 11 digits, not like the '81 VIN, which has 17.

Ccobin, look at the VIN plate on the steering stem. There should be a suffix of T or X at the end of the number. Also, in the upper-right corner should be the production date. Note that the '80 model year production started in 1979, possibly as early as August or September.

The big difference for your bike, in this case of the fuel tap, is that you have the "dreaded '80 petcock", which does not have a lever or a REServe function. The location of the petcock was changed for the '81 (X) GL, so they were able to use the larger petcock with a lever.

Sorry about your luck with the '80.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X