78 gs1000 Needle Shimming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
    Posted before i read the timing ignition thread. Move the Dyna power led to one of the hot wires going to the coils. Problem done. The signal circuit isnt fused for that power draw.
    Completed! Just did that tonight. Ran kinda crappy but only had a bit of gas in the carbs. Im going to try with tank back on and everything back together.

Comment

I hope that you switched to another type of connector, Robert. The snap type that pokes holes in the insulation are not the correct thing to use.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I did. I re-wired it to the coil power wire. I tested it and it gives hi 11v output. just about 12v. I made a tap wire similar to the one provided with that R/R upgrade where it taps into the rear brake. it works! I dipped, flossed and cleaned the carbs with guitar string, cleaner dip. Added bigger mains this weekend. Trying out 132.5 mains where the 127.5's were'nt giving me enough on the top end.

Installed the carbs, tightened the valve cover bolts a little again, made a thin aluminum plate that blocks any access oil from the wiring and electrical system, added a small filter to the valve cover blow off tube, and test drove it.

The bike screams crazier than ever on full throttle, idle-3/4 throttle sucks ass. The needle setting is on the 3rd clip down from the top. Air screw 2 1/2 turns, fuel screw 1 turn out.
        Ill set the needle clips to the very bottom setting (lifting the needle the most is can before shimming), and the air screw to 2 turns and fuel to 3/4 and see what happens.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Dynojet stage 3 jet kit.
            Last edited by OldVet66; 03-27-2017, 11:10 AM.
            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
              Dynojet stage 3 jet kit.
              But i'd never learn anything that way! Let me play with the needles a little more then Ill spurge for the kit.

Comment

UPDATE: Over the weekend I got 132.5 mains and installed them after cleaning, dipping and flossing the carbs with guitar string. First test ride: idle-3/4 throttle sucked ass, WOT screamed like a bat out of hell. I pulled the carbs, moved the needle clip to the bottom position, lowest I can go which would esentially raise the needle as high as it can go before shimming, and went on my second test drive.

Second test: I timed the ignition with a timing light and my static timing was right on! Holy cow I finally dialed this thing in. For some reason I still leak some oil from the valve cover so thats my next step but the bike screams from idle to wide open throttle!

Comment

I'm glad that you worked through the problems, Robert. I've got a decent gauge set for carb synch in Tillamook. Its a little silver case hanging from the rafters in the garage. It looks like a pistol case.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                    I'm glad that you worked through the problems, Robert. I've got a decent gauge set for carb synch in Tillamook. Its a little silver case hanging from the rafters in the garage. It looks like a pistol case.
                    Ive got a heavy leak out of the valve cover. Little drips, not that bad but while riding it just coats my boots!! I guess Ive got to remove the valve cover and take a look at resealing it. Remember i used that silicone crap? Maybe I might have to get a new gasket since I messed up that one.

Video coming tonight

Comment

Time to register the old skunk. Paid some bucks and had to drive the bike home with no registration. If you wait too long the registration gets suspended. ...

Went to the DMV but you can see all the smoke from the valve cover leak

Comment

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

Im posting in that thread now since im not doing the needle shimming anymore.

Comment

You don't have to change the coils, the stock ones will work fine

Comment

Originally posted by kaufen View Post
                            You don't have to change the coils, the stock ones will work fine
                            I ended up using the stock coils. But im off to different problems now lol. The thread is posted in my last reply to this thread,

Comment

Working...
                            X