Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 59 of 59

Thread: Forum software change needed to REMOVE VORTEX from "New Posts" feed

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Mason, OH (SW)
    Posts
    6,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GSXR7ED View Post
    It would be Great to "unsub" the Vortex. It's unfortunate the Vortex has become what it is but how ONE engages the sifting through "New Threads" is an individual preference. ...
    The Vortex was pretty much created to contain that kind of stuff. What's unfortunate that people have always behaved that way.
    Dogma
    --
    Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan
    --
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

    How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

  2. #52
    Nessism's Avatar
    Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Torrance, CA
    Posts
    29,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
    The Vortex was pretty much created to contain that kind of stuff. What's unfortunate that people have always behaved that way.
    Yeah, the Vortex should be further isolated...at least away from the New Posts feed.
    Ed

    To measure is to know.

    Photos of my bikes (past and present)...http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m50/Nessism1/

    Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

    Carb rebuild tutorial...http://zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage...d_Tutorial.pdf

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Toronto Ontario
    Posts
    898

    Default

    SO seeing these posts is akin to having to abide a drunken loud lout in a library or church?
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Wilmington Delaware
    Posts
    6,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nessism View Post
    So says a guy that rarely posts outside the Vortex. This is a MOTORCYCLE form, or should be.

    I will say that there are some good threads in the Vortex, but for each one of those there are many more that turn into heated arguments. Someone like you that rarely ventures outside the Vortex shouldn't hardly be affected by excluding Vortex posts from the New Posts feed because you can just go straight in to the content you like.
    I thought it a motorcycle forum too. The majority of "new posts" are of the non motorcycle variety. I took a few months off from the site because it turned into a political site with the occasional oil thread. I'm trying to get back into the GSR and help people with motorcycle questions but it seems the politics eats up the new posts area. For what it's worth almost every forum I see has a tornado like political area where tensions run high

    I used to like jousting with people on sites like this but I've got better things to do. I'm pulling the engine out of the 1000 for a cosmetic repaint and that take priority over immigration discussions.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Mason, OH (SW)
    Posts
    6,535

    Arrow Digging around in Advanced Search

    On a whim, I went digging to see if I could find a possible solution, and it's not bad.

    In Advanced Search:
    1. "Search Single Content Type" tab
    2. Search type "posts"
    3. Additional options
      1. Select the forums you're interested in. Control and Shift help with selecting. Clear "Also search in child forums" if you're only cutting out the Vortex.
      2. Find posts: "Your Last Visit" and "Newer". Some other starting date could be helpful, if you didn't read everything you wanted to in your last visit.
      3. Sort Results by: your preference, I guess.
      4. Show Results as: Threads
      5. Select "Save Search Preferences" (it may appear as "Clear Search Preferences") and hit Go.

    4. Hit "Search Now" to get "What's New" sans Vortex.


    I've tried it, and the saved search settings get you the filtered equivalent of "What's New" in three clicks. I need to log out and back in to make sure the search is saved across sessions. Back in a minute... Yep, it worked. Except there hadn't been any new posts since my last visit, so there were no results. Change the starting date to yesterday, and there we are.
    Last edited by Dogma; 02-12-2017 at 01:14 AM.
    Dogma
    --
    Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan
    --
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

    How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    DE via L.A.
    Posts
    5,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
    On a whim, I went digging to see if I could find a possible solution, and it's not bad.

    In Advanced Search:
    1. "Search Single Content Type" tab
    2. Search type "posts"
    3. Additional options
      1. Select the forums you're interested in. Control and Shift help with selecting. Clear "Also search in child forums" if you're only cutting out the Vortex.
      2. Find posts: "Your Last Visit" and "Newer". Some other starting date could be helpful, if you didn't read everything you wanted to in your last visit.
      3. Sort Results by: your preference, I guess.
      4. Show Results as: Threads
      5. Select "Save Search Preferences" (it may appear as "Clear Search Preferences") and hit Go.

    4. Hit "Search Now" to get "What's New" sans Vortex.


    I've tried it, and the saved search settings get you the filtered equivalent of "What's New" in three clicks. I need to log out and back in to make sure the search is saved across sessions. Back in a minute... Yep, it worked. Except there hadn't been any new posts since my last visit, so there were no results. Change the starting date to yesterday, and there we are.
    Interesting...I went through the motions but did not save it. Good info to provide alternative "new thread" refresh.


    Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Rear Shocks, Rebuilt MC/Caliper & new single-braided front line, Tarozzi Forks Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

    AKA: "Red" as named (Affectionately) by Gramma P.

    Quote Originally Posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    near Maryville,Tennessee
    Posts
    633

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
    On a whim, I went digging to see if I could find a possible solution, and it's not bad.

    In Advanced Search:
    1. "Search Single Content Type" tab
    2. Search type "posts"
    3. Additional options
      1. Select the forums you're interested in. Control and Shift help with selecting. Clear "Also search in child forums" if you're only cutting out the Vortex.
      2. Find posts: "Your Last Visit" and "Newer". Some other starting date could be helpful, if you didn't read everything you wanted to in your last visit.
      3. Sort Results by: your preference, I guess.
      4. Show Results as: Threads
      5. Select "Save Search Preferences" (it may appear as "Clear Search Preferences") and hit Go.

    4. Hit "Search Now" to get "What's New" sans Vortex.


    I've tried it, and the saved search settings get you the filtered equivalent of "What's New" in three clicks. I need to log out and back in to make sure the search is saved across sessions. Back in a minute... Yep, it worked. Except there hadn't been any new posts since my last visit, so there were no results. Change the starting date to yesterday, and there we are.
    Well done that man! It appears we have a solution.
    Chris
    ________________

    current bikes:
    ___________

    '78 GS1000 / '79 GS1000S / '81 CM400T
    '86 RG500 / '91 K100RS / '97 GSF1200N

  8. #58
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    652

    Default

    I sent the webmaster a request to have my Vortex access removed a few weeks ago as I was ready to leave this site... he did and I haven't seen a Vortex post in my new posts feed since. GSR is a much better place to hang out without being reminded of the worst of humanity on a daily basis.

    Let's talk motorcycles.
    Dave

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Maple Valley, WA
    Posts
    1,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hayabuser View Post
    I sent the webmaster a request to have my Vortex access removed a few weeks ago as I was ready to leave this site... he did and I haven't seen a Vortex post in my new posts feed since. GSR is a much better place to hang out without being reminded of the worst of humanity on a daily basis.

    Let's talk motorcycles.
    I did as well a couple months ago, my blood pressure has gone down considerably and I have mostly forgotten the actions of my fellow humans there. Plenty of other places on the WWW to get into such discussions. Like Facebook.

    1980 GS850G
    1983 GS1100e
    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
    1980 GS1260
    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900 bought new and survived, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e will soon fulfill its dream.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •