No announcement yet.

Forum software change needed to REMOVE VORTEX from "New Posts" feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with the idea that people should unsub the Vortex if they don't like the content. I don't think it can be fairly administrated to get too granular on a forum as small as this. (no this, no that, etc.) It is almost like some people are requesting a safe spaces. Reap the whirlwind or opt out.

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
      Are you for real? Are you saying he shouldn't make a special request in public just so it doesn't rustle feathers?
      Nope. I'm saying if ONE does make a special request, don't be surprised at the result--not just the OP but the respondents as well.

Heck, rustling feathers is the name of the game in the Vortex (and I'm seeing it now in this part of the forum).

A Private Message (PM) would prevent vocal/written backlash about a preference...and we all see how bitter feedback can rear its ugly head anywhere.

Ed
      Last edited by GSXR7ED; 01-27-2017, 08:51 AM.
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
        So I am taking your advice and bailing from the Vortex not because I disagree with anyone's right to post their opinion, but because I don't have time to wade through it.
        Congrats Bobgroger. Kicking a pointless bad habit not only frees valuable time for more usefull things, it also reduces negativity in one's life.
        1979 GS1000
        1981 GL500 Interstate

Comment

Originally posted by GSCafe View Post
          I agree with the idea that people should unsub the Vortex if they don't like the content. I don't think it can be fairly administrated to get too granular on a forum as small as this. (no this, no that, etc.) It is almost like some people are requesting a safe spaces. Reap the whirlwind or opt out.
          It would be Great to "unsub" the Vortex. It's unfortunate the Vortex has become what it is but how ONE engages the sifting through "New Threads" is an individual preference. (Not insulting anyone's intelligence) I can pretty much identify a Vortex thread just by looking at the title. If I'm unsure, I look to the right side and see which part of the forum it's on; plain and simple.

I go through life sifting through situational conditions and try to put a positive spin on things like:

- Lazy workers that leave tasks for others so they can fart-off (OFO=Out Farting Off--I usually put another "F" word in there)
          - People who don't say good morning or walk by looking away as if not seeing you
          - Standard work procedures that change based on the condition
          - Superiors who don't know how to persuade their subordinates to work as a team or don't trust them

I could think of a couple more daily miscues but then I don't wanna sound like I'm perfect. (A comment people make to me just for having high standards)

I have a standard to live by on forums and I remind myself of it by reading the quote in my signature. It's the assessment I made based on experience from reading and posting on this board and one other since 2011. My suggestion: learn how to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Ed
          Last edited by GSXR7ED; 01-27-2017, 09:13 AM.
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
            LOL I don't really care where you put it. I just made that post because I knew it would get a rise out of you.
            Maybe that's the flavor of the problem
            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
            1983 GS 1100 G
            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
              It would be Great to "unsub" the Vortex. It's unfortunate the Vortex has become what it is but how ONE engages the sifting through "New Threads" is an individual preference. ...
              The Vortex was pretty much created to contain that kind of stuff. What's unfortunate that people have always behaved that way.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                The Vortex was pretty much created to contain that kind of stuff. What's unfortunate that people have always behaved that way.
                Yeah, the Vortex should be further isolated...at least away from the New Posts feed.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

SO seeing these posts is akin to having to abide a drunken loud lout in a library or church?
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    So says a guy that rarely posts outside the Vortex. This is a MOTORCYCLE form, or should be.

I will say that there are some good threads in the Vortex, but for each one of those there are many more that turn into heated arguments. Someone like you that rarely ventures outside the Vortex shouldn't hardly be affected by excluding Vortex posts from the New Posts feed because you can just go straight in to the content you like.
                    I thought it a motorcycle forum too. The majority of "new posts" are of the non motorcycle variety. I took a few months off from the site because it turned into a political site with the occasional oil thread. I'm trying to get back into the GSR and help people with motorcycle questions but it seems the politics eats up the new posts area. For what it's worth almost every forum I see has a tornado like political area where tensions run high

I used to like jousting with people on sites like this but I've got better things to do. I'm pulling the engine out of the 1000 for a cosmetic repaint and that take priority over immigration discussions.
                    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Digging around in Advanced Search

On a whim, I went digging to see if I could find a possible solution, and it's not bad.

In Advanced Search:
                      1. "Search Single Content Type" tab
                      2. Search type "posts"
                      3. Additional options
                        1. Select the forums you're interested in. Control and Shift help with selecting. Clear "Also search in child forums" if you're only cutting out the Vortex.
                        2. Find posts: "Your Last Visit" and "Newer". Some other starting date could be helpful, if you didn't read everything you wanted to in your last visit.
                        3. Sort Results by: your preference, I guess.
                        4. Show Results as: Threads
                        5. Select "Save Search Preferences" (it may appear as "Clear Search Preferences") and hit Go.

4. Hit "Search Now" to get "What's New" sans Vortex.

I've tried it, and the saved search settings get you the filtered equivalent of "What's New" in three clicks. I need to log out and back in to make sure the search is saved across sessions. Back in a minute... Yep, it worked. Except there hadn't been any new posts since my last visit, so there were no results. Change the starting date to yesterday, and there we are.
                      Last edited by Dogma; 02-12-2017, 02:14 AM.
                      Dogma
                      --
                      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

On a whim, I went digging to see if I could find a possible solution, and it's not bad.

In Advanced Search:
                        2. Search type "posts"
                        3. Additional options
                          1. Select the forums you're interested in. Control and Shift help with selecting. Clear "Also search in child forums" if you're only cutting out the Vortex.
                          2. Find posts: "Your Last Visit" and "Newer". Some other starting date could be helpful, if you didn't read everything you wanted to in your last visit.
                          5. Select "Save Search Preferences" (it may appear as "Clear Search Preferences") and hit Go.

I've tried it, and the saved search settings get you the filtered equivalent of "What's New" in three clicks. I need to log out and back in to make sure the search is saved across sessions. Back in a minute... Yep, it worked. Except there hadn't been any new posts since my last visit, so there were no results. Change the starting date to yesterday, and there we are.
                        Interesting...I went through the motions but did not save it. Good info to provide alternative "new thread" refresh.

Ed
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

In Advanced Search:
                          2. Search type "posts"
                          3. Additional options

Well done that man! It appears we have a solution.

Comment

I sent the webmaster a request to have my Vortex access removed a few weeks ago as I was ready to leave this site... he did and I haven't seen a Vortex post in my new posts feed since. GSR is a much better place to hang out without being reminded of the worst of humanity on a daily basis.

Let's talk motorcycles.
                            2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                            2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Hayabuser View Post
                              I sent the webmaster a request to have my Vortex access removed a few weeks ago as I was ready to leave this site... he did and I haven't seen a Vortex post in my new posts feed since. GSR is a much better place to hang out without being reminded of the worst of humanity on a daily basis.

Let's talk motorcycles.
                              I did as well a couple months ago, my blood pressure has gone down considerably and I have mostly forgotten the actions of my fellow humans there. Plenty of other places on the WWW to get into such discussions. Like Facebook.
                              sigpic
                              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                              1983 GS1100e
                              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                              1980 GS1260
                              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Bumping back up in hope Frank takes the suggestion.

Just about every Vortex thread is the same as last; liberal bashing Trump. How many different ways can people state the same thing? And why do people that have motorcycles as their prime reason for coming here have to see this crap in the New Posts feed?
                                Last edited by Nessism; 09-29-2017, 07:24 PM.
                                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                                X