Forum software change needed to REMOVE VORTEX from "New Posts" feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    There has been talk in the past about getting rid of the Vortex all together but I'm not advocating that. I just think it need to be isolated a little further from the motorcycle site proper.

Just this morning, 9 hours or so since checking last night, 7 of the top 12 threads in the New Posts feed are Vortex. And this sort of feed is commonplace.
    All that shows to me is that the vortex is a popular place to be { though it isn't going to bother me a great deal if you get your way } You should have included a poll { three choices, for, against, and don't care } Then if you have a strong enough mandate the moderators may consider it.
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Comment

Instal stylebot and ask the guys that know css to make you a stylesheet to avoid the posts. I use one for Kijij to get rid of non local ads. Works like a charm.
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I don't even bother 'unlocking' the vortex, even though I'd have some political questions for the NA, or to be more exact, US of A members in here.

The way some threads derail in the 'public' parts of the GSR, and the apparent mindset of a few members are indication enough on what could be going on in there.
        At the moment, I rely on the "What's new"-Feed as well, so yeah, Pandora's box will stay closed for the time being for me

Filtering is possible. It's been years since I played with vBulletins source code though.
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
          I think if you opt out of the Vortex, it won't show when you log on. Correct?
          That is correct, I don't subscribe to the vortex and no posts from it show in my 'new posts' feed.
          The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

If this is turning into a poll for Frank to assess, then I would offer up my position of agreement with Nessism.

While I delve into the Vortex once in awhile if/when I can catch a topic before it degrades into pettiness, I would prefer to have it "in the corner" so to speak. I think the motorcycle specific topics should be the stars of the forum.

If it can be done without much additional cost, or decrease in functionality then I say go for it. If not, it's livable to just consciously ignore the threads as they come up in the new posts.
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

It can likely be done with a chrome addon and a stylesheet on your own broser.
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

There has been talk in the past about getting rid of the Vortex all together but I'm not advocating that. I just think it need to be isolated a little further from the motorcycle site proper.

Just this morning, 9 hours or so since checking last night, 7 of the top 12 threads in the New Posts feed are Vortex. And this sort of feed is commonplace.
                Thicken up your skin, and deal with it. The GSR wasn't created to cater to your whims, Ed. If you don't like The Vortex, opt out of it. It's that simple...

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
                  Thicken up your skin, and deal with it. The GSR wasn't created to cater to your whims, Ed. If you don't like The Vortex, opt out of it. It's that simple...
                  So says a guy that rarely posts outside the Vortex. This is a MOTORCYCLE form, or should be.

I will say that there are some good threads in the Vortex, but for each one of those there are many more that turn into heated arguments. Someone like you that rarely ventures outside the Vortex shouldn't hardly be affected by excluding Vortex posts from the New Posts feed because you can just go straight in to the content you like.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

As has been pointed out, its easy to opt out Nessism, so just do it quit whining.
                    Just because you don't like the strip clubs, doesn't mean they have to hide their signs. Just keep out, if you can't avert your eyes.... either don't log in or opt out. It really is that simple.
                    We can't tear down the Crack Houses, Close the Insane Asylums or whatever the junkies and screwballs will go somewhere else,..... like Q&A apparently.

Leave well enough alone.
                    GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

So says a guy that rarely posts outside the Vortex. This is a MOTORCYCLE form, or should be...
                      Yes, it's a motorcycle forum, the best I have ever been a part of, bar none.

It also has some forums that aren't motorcycle related. If you don't want to see that content, then opt out of them and stop whining about it.

It really is a simple process, Ed.

Comment

Why so much vitriol for someone who just wants a feature to help filter the "what's new" results? Save that energy for the Vortex. Or does this whole topic puncture somebody's thin skin?

I'd actually like to broaden the request to be able to filter any of the forums. For example, maybe someone's not interested in the "Other Bikes" forum. I don't know if that's too much to ask, but it shouldn't hurt to ask.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

This is such craziness. Don't ask for any special requests and members won't chime in to add their own spin on it.

Ed

EDIT: a PM would suffice considering the feedback generated by this request. Hmmm...
                          Last edited by GSXR7ED; 01-26-2017, 10:09 PM.
                          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                            This is such craziness. Don't ask for any special requests and members won't chime in to add their own spin on it.

Ed

EDIT: a PM would suffice considering the feedback generated by this request. Hmmm...
                            Are you for real? Are you saying he shouldn't make a special request in public just so it doesn't rustle feathers?

Comment

Its a Trumpism!
                              1983 GS 550 LD
                              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I don't have enough time in the day, so dealing with political posts that have 0% chance of changing anyone's mind are bothersome to me. If we spent the time it takes to post and get involved in LOCAL politics you can probably see results. So I am taking your advice and bailing from the Vortex not because I disagree with anyone's right to post their opinion, but because I don't have time to wade through it. Shame that the Vortex is just a snapshot of America now.
                                sigpic
                                09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                                1983 GS1100e
                                82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                                1980 GS1260
                                Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                                X