Fzr1000 Genesis 2nd gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fzr1000 Genesis 2nd gear

So i picked up a 93 fizzer that is stuck in second gear. I know theres obviously going to be major internal trans damage. In my reserch ive found that the yzf 750 6 speed will swap in almost directly or completely directly. My question is, has anyone on this wonderful forum of amazing-ness had any experience doing so? I see on the yammie forums all the time "it can be done" "its been done dozens of times" "heres my fzr1k ex-up with the yzf 6 speed swap, i love the way it pulls with it (posts picture of the side of the bike) " also ive been waiting for almost a week to be able to post on fzronline and the yamahaforum. So i figured the gs sight gets good traffic, those guys know a thing or two, ill ask them. Haha

I paid 200 for this thing with a title and it runs like a top. So long as you hold the clutch in.
    I build Pipers

Normally when a gearbox gets damaged it's the dogs getting mangled and the bike jumps OUT of gear rather than being stuck IN gear.

I'd be looking at the selector drum / shaft behind the clutch basket first of all to see if it's something getting stuck there. You might find you don't need to split the cases after all.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Good idea pal!
      I build Pipers

Comment

YZF750's are very few and far between....about 25 to 1 compared to the 1000.....
        I had a 95 750 for a short while, and sold it after I got a title for it. Was going to pull the motor and put a Yamaha snowmobile motor in it.
        A friend at work made me an offer, and saved me a lot of work.
        I would definitely pull the clutch cover off and have a look before you put too much thought into it. The selector ratchet, or something possibly simple could be the problem.....or not....

Comment

Great bike I have a 95

Comment

Yes, pull the clutch cover - and clutch - and look at the drum end mechanism first.

Personally i've never done the 6 speed swap but IMO they don't need a 6 speed anyway. If you do have to split the motor, it's a complete strip as you can't simply drop off the lower case. There are case bolts under the cylinder barrel...

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
              Yes, pull the clutch cover - and clutch - and look at the drum end mechanism first.

Personally i've never done the 6 speed swap but IMO they don't need a 6 speed anyway. If you do have to split the motor, it's a complete strip as you can't simply drop off the lower case. There are case bolts under the cylinder barrel...
              Thats what ive heard unfortunately. For now the bike is on the back burner till i finish my gs1000. (So close!) So maybe 2 or 3 months ill dig it outand mess with it. When do start it it ****es oil out of the hole where the shifter comes out of the block so that sucks
              I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by busa1300 View Post
                YZF750's are very few and far between....about 25 to 1 compared to the 1000.....
                I had a 95 750 for a short while, and sold it after I got a title for it. Was going to pull the motor and put a Yamaha snowmobile motor in it.
                A friend at work made me an offer, and saved me a lot of work.
                I would definitely pull the clutch cover off and have a look before you put too much thought into it. The selector ratchet, or something possibly simple could be the problem.....or not....
                Only reason i wanted a 6 speed is i heard its a lot stronger than the 5 speed and won't have the disappearing second gear lol
                I build Pipers

Comment

What ever is broken is broken behind the clutch basket. The clutch looks new and the basket has no wear on it.. for 48k miles this thing has been well kept mechanically.. newer calipers and the brake fluid is crystal clear, had a brand new tire on it on the front. Just the nose fairing is beat to crap, shame. Anyways tomorrow im bringing bigger sockets and gonna get the basket off, and see whats what
                  I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
                    Only reason i wanted a 6 speed is i heard its a lot stronger than the 5 speed and won't have the disappearing second gear lol
                    If what I've seen from others and the trans on my yzf, it always sounds like shifting a tractor. I'm curious to see how it looks too. I'll be doing a new clutch set and oil pan gasket in a few days. (I'm almost sure we have the same-ish engine.)

Comment

Rekon why Yammer wouldn't address this known problem for 20 + yrs. Or have they fixed it yet? Go figure.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post

Thrown a chain at some point too, I see.

You might get lucky here - probably the shifter detent behind the clutch basket is damaged. Hopefully a fairly simple fix.
                        Current:
                        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by Oldman99 View Post
                          If what I've seen from others and the trans on my yzf, it always sounds like shifting a tractor. I'm curious to see how it looks too. I'll be doing a new clutch set and oil pan gasket in a few days. (I'm almost sure we have the same-ish engine.)
                          Youre engine is the same except cam profiles are aimed at midrange carbs are a tad different and i believe the ignition was different
                          I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                            Thrown a chain at some point too, I see.

You might get lucky here - probably the shifter detent behind the clutch basket is damaged. Hopefully a fairly simple fix.
                            Throwing the chain will bend the clutch pushrod??
                            I build Pipers

Comment

Its definitely something in the shift mechanism though
                              found this clip out of place behind the clutch basket. Still haven't removed the basket yet, need to buy that socket
                              I build Pipers

Comment

Working...
                              X